PDA

View Full Version : Translating the goosed up "sproing" into reality?

JB
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:31 PM
I know, you're all like WTH is she talking about :lol:

I mean, you see a video of a horse, and the horse is being plastic-bagged into the fancy-prancy movement that's more up and down than forward.

Is there ANY way to logically translate that into what the real movement is like? As in, any decent guesstimate of u/s work?

Say, for example, the forearm moves forward, there is very little knee lift, but also no lower leg forward flip *at all* because, after all, it's a SPROING ;) Does that necessarily translated into a normally moving horse who has little knee action?

FlashGordon
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:36 PM
Awww, Dan used to sproing when you snapped a longe line on him.

Win would sproing under saddle every once in awhile when he was being a goober.

So are you talking about, watching a vid, maybe of a potential purchase, and trying to figure out how a sproingy horse that's doing the prancy thing might look when it is moving *properly*? Can't imagine there is an equation for that?

Treasmare2
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:39 PM
Hahahhaha.....my guess is no...a goosed up sproing in simply that....I suppose it indicates the horse can bend some of its joints. My guess has always been they hope to make the head look pretty and alert and they pray it does an extended trot or something. Plastic bags, cans with rocks.....its all a mystery to me but I do know at times like those I sure wouldn't want to be on its back.:eek:

JB
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:44 PM
You guys are no help :p :p

Treasmare2
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:46 PM
We aim to please :yes:

dancingequestrian85
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:51 PM
I don't have an answer either but I love your thread title haha :)

FlashGordon
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:54 PM
Erm, JB, maybe you will have to give up on the vid and go see the horse in person. ;)

Mara
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:55 PM
Have you a video example of this "sproing" we can link to?

Blue Bunny
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:59 PM
Sure, it can give you some idea how the horse moves.
But I like to see the horse go when it's not being chased around, I think you see more of the natural movement.
Better yet, I like to see it ridden or on a lunge line.:D
Same thing with jumping, free jumping doesn't always give you a true prospective of jumping ability.

JB
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:46 PM
Erm, JB, maybe you will have to give up on the vid and go see the horse in person. ;)
Too far just to go see :(

Have you a video example of this "sproing" we can link to?
I don't know if I'd feel comfy posting it here, if you know what I mean :)

Sure, it can give you some idea how the horse moves.
But I like to see the horse go when it's not being chased around, I think you see more of the natural movement.
Oh me too, absolutely!

Better yet, I like to see it ridden or on a lunge line.:D
Same thing with jumping, free jumping doesn't always give you a true prospective of jumping ability.
Yeah, the horses though aren't u/s yet - only 2. I don't know if they lunge, but that's certainly on my list to see if the sellers can get something of that nature :)

FlashGordon
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:51 PM
Too far....? Darn.

PM me the sproing!! I want to see.

In watching the sproing what is your gut instinct? If you're kind of "eh" or hesitant I say pass.... if you think horse *might* be fab mover without the sproing then maybe you're onto something....

dags
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:01 PM
Maybe I'm missing something here, but why are they spoinging the animal?? Have you strayed into arab world??

spmoonie
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:08 PM
I know what you mean, but I have no idea! :cool:

JB
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:13 PM
Too far....? Darn.
Yeah, about 2500 miles too far :lol:

In watching the sproing what is your gut instinct? If you're kind of "eh" or hesitant I say pass.... if you think horse *might* be fab mover without the sproing then maybe you're onto something....
My problem is that I think they have the potential to be great movers, but I think it's much better Dressage movement than Hunter movement, and I need the latter :(

Maybe I'm missing something here, but why are they spoinging the animal?? Have you strayed into arab world??
LMAO! They do a good Arab impression in the video :lol: Now, I can't see the human(s) in most of the video, so I really have no idea if they are really goosing the horse's around, or if they are just fresh 2yo fillies who are looking for an excuse to Ay-rab around the ring :D

sixpoundfarm
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:21 PM
Ask for more video, showing the horse not as excited or shown in hand. If they really want to sell it, they will try to oblige your request.

JB
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:54 PM
sixpound, exactly what I'll have to do :)

enjoytheride
Sep. 5, 2009, 11:04 PM
It depends on how much sproing there is. If there is 20 seconds off the ground sproing then that horse will always have some knee action even when non sproinged.

JB
Sep. 5, 2009, 11:08 PM
That's the thing though - neither of these fillies show much knee action at all - it's a lot of sproing originating from behind and propelling them upward mostly, with (obviously) some forward. I wouldn't necessarily say they have tons of hock action, but they are nicely "bendy" in the hocks and stifles :)

ReSomething
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:19 AM
You know, it took me about halfway before I finally figured out plastic bagged. Which is dumb because I've watched the kids stand against a wall flipping the things at the ASB barn. Now sproing I got right away, but all the bagging does is tell you what they are capable of, not what their preferred or working gait looks like, sorry. Get a more real life video of quiet in hand work if they aren't under saddle yet.

findeight
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:31 AM
JB...I wouldn't post someboidy else's horse in a vid here either:rolleyes:. Kind of our official sport:lol:.

Umm...aren't you looking for a Hunter? Last think you need is sproing..if that is what seller is presenting to the public, maybe it's not a Hunter prospect in the eyes or mind of anybody who actually does the Hunters? Just in the eyes of a barn blind breeder (no offense, we all are when it comes to our own stock).

Ask for more video and specifically ask for it just on a lunge line with no apparatus or "help".

JB
Sep. 6, 2009, 04:56 PM
findeight, why do you think I haven't posted it? ;) I even said I wouldn't feel comfy doing that. I don't feed sharks :lol:

Yes, I'm looking for a Hunter. But you can get even the fanciest hunter worked up and do the sproing thing where all motion is up and down. My TB mare (not that she's the fanciest) sproings all over the place, doing 180's in the air mid-sproing, when she's being a goofball. But when she's relaxed and just going, she's quite long and low with little knee lift.

FWIW, not that I'm going to even hint at who the horses are, I asked about them based off pictures - confo and promising movement stills. The owner really doesn't breed for Hunters, isn't a Hunter person, and sent me the video for me to take a look myself. So, I got sproing, and have told them I can't evaluate properly based on that.

I was merely curious if there were any tell-tale signs that might indicate in a sproing whether the horse was destined for lots of knee action, or destined to have very flat knees, or, as is more likely the case, it's an indication of absolutely nothing other than Sproing ;) So yes, I have asked for some better video.

Foxtrot's
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:46 PM
Their version of dressage movement (or Saddlebred?)

My mare sproings quite nicely when there is a wind up, or a rustle in the bushes - but she is basically a pretty flat kneed horse when she has her head down where it should be and is relaxed. I think that's what you are asking?

JB
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:20 PM
Foxtrot, yes, the difference between a cold wind up the hiney, or a cat streaking out of the bushes, and the horse's natural movement when relaxed and not inverted :)

Not the "sproing" of a well-moving Dressage horse who is airborn due to good impulsion and supension :)

dbtoo
Sep. 9, 2009, 07:34 PM
Too far? Southwest has really cheap fares :) :) Go see them!