PDA

View Full Version : How to qualify for devon?

terryallenf
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:08 PM
How do you qualify for devon and what are some classes a junior can do and how to qualify for them?
:] thanks

neigh.neigh
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:07 PM
If you do the 3'6" equitation (Medal, Maclay, USET, WIHS) you do not have to qualify. The eq isnt easy though, you have to be prepared for finals level courses and scary jumps. Hunters are hard to get in for.... you need about 3000 points which is pretty much 15 champions in the Junior Hunters at an A or AA show

neigh.neigh
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:13 PM
I forgot about Junior Jumpers too

the cut off for this year was around 5000

terryallenf
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:14 PM
thanks so much. wow thats alot of points for the junior jumpers and the juniors. is there just 3.6 or higher there or do they have the childrens hunter or 3ft medals?

JinxyPoo
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:49 PM
thanks so much. wow thats alot of points for the junior jumpers and the juniors. is there just 3.6 or higher there or do they have the childrens hunter or 3ft medals?

Just 3'6 and up. They have local hunters which are 3'-3'3ish and open to anyone who lives in a 40 mile radius of Devon, no qualifying.

Ajierene
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:54 PM
For leadline, however....you apparently need to ribbon at something like three A or AA shows....

Tap2Tango
Sep. 6, 2009, 01:30 AM
Qualifying for leadline?? I don't think thats true....Never heard that one before. But then again I do try to avoid small children at all cost...

dani0303
Sep. 6, 2009, 01:34 AM
To meet the qualifying date for the junior classes, you almost HAVE to show a winter circuit, mostly Ocala and WEF.

toomanymares
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:07 AM
You don't need to qualify for leadline. Though, it helps if you have a really fancy pony, adorable child with braids and a top trainer to lead them! Some people pay trainers who they don't use to take their child in. I also know that one mother got her two children hair extensions so that they would have longer braids to wear. It gets a little ridiculous but it's fun and cute!

hellerkm
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:28 AM
For leadline, however....you apparently need to ribbon at something like three A or AA shows....
This was NOT the case when my DD was 4 we just sent in our entry ( it was $50 at the time) and showed up LOL!! not sure if it has changed but with the amount of kids in teh leadlien ring that I saw this year I doubt it!!!

hellerkm
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:32 AM
You don't need to qualify for leadline. Though, it helps if you have a really fancy pony, adorable child with braids and a top trainer to lead them! Some people pay trainers who they don't use to take their child in. I also know that one mother got her two children hair extensions so that they would have longer braids to wear. It gets a little ridiculous but it's fun and cute!

The year we took my DD we did the whole braids thing and they only pinned the kids with hunter hair LOL!!! figures right???

CBoylen
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:24 PM
Just some technical aspects:
There is no set point-cut off for the hunters or jumpers. How many points it takes each year depends on who enters and how many horses they take for the division. Each division in the prizelist lists the number they will take for that division, generally around 30. If you want to be considered you must enter by the closing date of entries. The prizelist is online if you don't receive one. After everyone enters they go through and send letters of acceptance those with the most points (points are counted from your top fifteen horse shows between the closing date of entries of the previous year until the closing date of entries for the current year, the exact dates vary but it's generally around April 1st -April 1st) until they get to that set number of horses. That is then the point cut-off. Then, if some of the accepted entries choose not to go (you must respond to your acceptance letter) or scratch, they take the next horse with the most points, and so on.
Your points come from USEF rated shows, and you and your horse must be USEF recorded to receive them.

terryallenf
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:20 AM
thanks for all the replys i was just wondering how do you qualify for indoors?

CBoylen
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:29 AM
Same way, the entry closing dates are just different. And for the eq the classes at indoors are finals and each has it's own qualifying rules, as do the childrens and adult finals offered.

Feride
Sep. 11, 2009, 10:56 AM
Also although it helps to get points at the winter circuits(WEF or Ocala) because there are more participants so you get more points, (and you get used to the competition and scary courses) some people manage to qualify in the A shows up north because there is less competition and you can win but then you might no be prepared for the tough competition. But if you just want to qualify to one of those finals that is one way.

vxf111
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:11 AM

That is completely incorrect. Leadline is open to all, and you can just show up and enter.

LegoMyMego
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:46 AM

I'm guessing I'm the only one who gets that you are kidding, based on one of the other threads on here today.

Sense of HUMOR people.....

vxf111
Sep. 11, 2009, 11:49 AM
I didn't read Ajierene's post as a joke, there was nothing to indicate it was meant as one ("LOL," smiley face or tounge in cheek face, ::sarcasm::, etc.). Tone does come across well on the internet. I also don't cross reference every other thread on the board to see whether there might be some inside joke I don't know about. Lots of people read here and take as gospel what is written, I wouldn't want a potential leadliner scared off because they believe there is some qualification process.

Dispatcher
Sep. 11, 2009, 12:47 PM
geez, I would have been scared off just from the wording. "...need to ribbon..." :lol:

If it had read "you need to place in the ribbons at 3 or 4 shows.. " THAT I could understand

DMK
Sep. 11, 2009, 01:15 PM
*snork* the fact that every child IN leadline gets "a" ribbon would be a clue!