View Full Version : Spinoff from what items make riding easier. What items do you WISH were out there?

Sep. 5, 2009, 07:54 PM
So what items do you wish someone would invent or you could invent to make riding and life around the barn easier? Or, what products are out there that you would like to see improved to make riding and barn life easier? This is certainly not limited to those of us with disabilities. We all have struggles, so which of yours could be fixed by a new invention. I am by no means an inventor, but maybe someone who reads this will make our dreams come true!

Here are my wishes:

I'd love a sports bra that offers support/compression and comes off easily even when I am sweaty! Sweaty lycra and a 1 1/2 handed rider do not mix!

I want supportive paddock boots. Because of my strange gait pattern, my paddock boots always become misshapen and unsupportive. It would be even better if those boot could come with nice, BIG zippers and remain snug and supportive in the ankle.

I would like high quality pull on fullseat breeches that don't have a huge price tag. Unfortunately, I'm hard to fit because I have such a long rise, so I am in the big $ zone.

It would be awesome if you could buy gloves by the single hand instead of in pairs. Riding gloves are expensive. I wear a brace on my left hand, so I need a different sized glove for each hand.

A four or five step mounting block would be wonderful. With the 3 step block, I still need someone to lift my foot into the stirrup. I would want the mounting block to be plastic and light.

I'm sure I'll have more wants and wishes I can think of. What about you guys?

Sep. 5, 2009, 09:30 PM
well, for the bra get an enell. seriously i'm 32E and it's the only thing that lets me post a trot and have the judge focus on my equitation! :lol:

for my wishlist i wish they made reins that had a buzzer sounds when you lost consistent contact. there are so many riders with bad hands (i was one of them) it think theyd really help instructors voices and horses' mouths.

Sep. 5, 2009, 10:04 PM
I wish they made gloves that were reinforced for use with double bridles. My gloves seem to wear out faster when I'm using the double because of the friction of the extra reins.

Sep. 5, 2009, 11:45 PM
I wish I could find a Dressage coat for those of us that are short and round. After battling with my Kentucky for a season, I think I am going to go custom.

Sep. 6, 2009, 08:14 AM
Agreed on the separate gloves - my right hand is chronically swollen now more than my left, and none of my pre-injury gloves will work.

I also wish that people's idea of WIDE calf boots equaled mine. When I look in catalogs at their measurements for wide and extra wide, I have to laugh. Right leg is 3 inches more in circumference at knee than the left - again old injury - but even my "good" leg will not fit in an off-the-shelf extra wide. And I'm not overweight, just have always had legs like tree trunks. Current low-budget and non-showing solution - get half-chaps, cut them open, and sew in strong elastic expanders myself. Showing solution - custom. :no: Why can't there be an option in between those two extremes?

Also, around the farm, I'd like to get a truly non kink hose that NEVER will tie itself in a knot.

Sep. 6, 2009, 10:19 AM
These are good! A hose that would reel in like a vacuum cleaner cord would be great! Just give it a jerk and it zips back into its holder...

And single gloves would be handy for replacing lost gloves, as much as for people with two different sized hands.

I also want a magic floating device that lifts me easily into the saddle when I have to mount from the ground. Even if I find a log or rock to stand on, I seem to have no grace and always end up making loud groaning noises heaving myself up there!

Oooh- and a telescoping whip - just jumping bat sized so you can stick it in your boot, but when you push a button on the end it extends out to dressage length. Then push the button again and it shortens back up to stick in your boot again.

Sep. 6, 2009, 06:20 PM
Okay, now we need to find a company willing to sell single gloves. I don't know that it would ever happen, but gosh would it be helpful.

Today I was wearing my ancient breeches that are holding up except for the fact that I broke the zipper pully thing. Soooo...my new wish is for breeches that have zippers which are sirst of all sturdier and second of all have bigger pully things which are easier hidden. My bobby pin is proving to be a failure :(

Ellie, Does 1824 make dressage coats that will fit you? What about Fuller Fillies from SmartPak?

Sep. 6, 2009, 07:02 PM
For GREAT sports bras, try Athleta or Title 9 catalogues. Women's athletic wear, and lots of bras that DON'T pull over your head (I hate those). I also just saw an ad for equitector.com. They sell boots from 13"-19" calf. That seems pretty wide to me. As for less expensive breeches, try ebay--the best used tack shop in the world!

Sep. 6, 2009, 07:59 PM
well, for the bra get an enell. seriously i'm 32E and it's the only thing that lets me post a trot and have the judge focus on my equitation!

I've seen lots of positive comments about the Enell and want to get one. Is it pretty true to size? I'd like to just order online. I've heard you do not move wearing one. What I need!

Indestructible sunglasses. I don't buy any nice ones anymore. They take too much of a beating at the stables. I go through them too fast.