PDA

View Full Version : Do you SmartPak??

hellerkm
Sep. 5, 2009, 05:42 PM
I think Lizzy could benefit from a joint supplement and a hoof supplement, I like the idea of the SmartPak's and they seem fairly well priced. Do you use them and do you like them? can you tell me what you use?

TJHunter049
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:01 PM
My mom and I just switched over to smartpaks rather than making up baggies every month.. and it seems so much less expensive than before :-) Good idea!

BeastieSlave
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:05 PM
I've got one who gets SmartGut and daily wormer. I still buy his Cosequin ASU in a tub from the vet school because it's a significant savings. I love the convenience of SmartPaks!

spmoonie
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:08 PM
I love smartpaks! My guy gets Smart Flex III Ultra. It makes feeding so much easier, and (this might sound stupid, but...) They look soooo neat! So much more fun than the usual tubs. I also love the fact that I can order anything else I need and pay no extra shipping charges! Smartpak is Awesome!:D

Horseshowaddict
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:08 PM
SmartPak is fabulous! Great customer service, great prices, pretty much the only place I need to go for most of my horsey needs. Even when there were mistakes in an order (which has only happened once). There was no questioning, only great people to talk to an fix the problem and I had what I needed in a couple of days. They really are worth it!

hellerkm
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks!! I will place my order! and I also think they are "neat"! We use them for our stallion ( he gets a bunch of special junk due to his Cushings) and the other day when they came in the mail my dad opened the box and states loudly " what? htey even have his NAME on them??" we all laughed at him!
I was not sure if they were the best value for routine things like joint and hoof supplements!

toomanymares
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:22 PM
Every horse on our farm (38) is on a smartpak. From daily wormers to joint support. It's much easier for the grooms and I love how they auto-ship them.

Seven-up
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:24 PM
I have been doing the Smart Paks for a few months now, and I love it! Customer service is outstanding. When I got my first shipment, one of the drawers was broken during shipping. I e-mailed them to ask what I should do, and they sent me a new drawer that arrived in like 2 days.

All 3 of my horses get electrolytes and Black as Knight (2 bays and a grey) and one gets Smart Flex II and another one gets Cool Calories.

I'd definitely recommend them to anyone.

The only drawback for me is that the raccoons that live in the woods behind my house figured out how to open the drawers.:lol: As of right now, I've outsmarted them, but I know they're in the woods coming up with a plan. I'm about to get one up'ed by some rodents.:D

Blue Bunny
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:29 PM
Love the SmartPak!
I order electrolytes and a multi vitamin on a monthly basis.
I also love the prices on blankets, sheets and coolers.:)

JenEM
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:32 PM
My horse is on U-guard, MegaMag, and Grand Hoof in SmartPaks, and has been for almost two years.

As someone who boards, they're a great convenience. They're labeled, dosed, and I can have them delivered right to the barn. I don't have to deal with tubs or baggies and mixing things up. For me, whatever price differential there is is more than made up for by the convenience.

furlong47
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:33 PM
I can also tell you from the perspective of someone who has worked in boarding barns at various times for years -- Smartpaks are so so so nice for the person doing the feeding. Clearly labeled as to what belongs to who, no measuring, no opening and closing 5 different containers, no having to make note when things are running out and then make continual reminders for the owner to bring in a new container. Plus they are kind of fun to peel :lol:

yellowbritches
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:05 PM
We have most of our horses (who need sups) on Smartpaks. I LOVE it. I am the one who does the feeding 95% of the time, but it makes me feel much better when I DON'T feed to know that everyone is getting what they need. For the most part, they make the feed room much neater, too. Our feed room is tiny, so it has taken some creative shelving to get them all stowed away, but it isn't bad.

My own horse gets TractGuard am and pm, a little garlic with his breakfast, and Farrier's Formula in the evening. I am working on finding him a multi-vitamin right now (he is on only whole oats, so needs something extra), too. I bought a tub of SmartVite Performance (bought it before I found out they've started offering taste tests!), and it has gone over like a lead balloon. :mad: The Tractguard and garlic are more or less standard for all the horses, and then we have some who get either Cosequin or Cosequin ASU, and a couple of others on Farrier's Formula also.

You can't beat their customer service, either, and I like (though don't utilize) the fact that you can get things auto shipped along with the Smartpaks. Like flyspray or treats or whatever you use up regularly. Also saves on shipping when you have something you order shipped with the Smartpaks...and even if you don't, the shipping isn't bad.

hellerkm
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:07 PM
I have been doing the Smart Paks for a few months now, and I love it! Customer service is outstanding. When I got my first shipment, one of the drawers was broken during shipping. I e-mailed them to ask what I should do, and they sent me a new drawer that arrived in like 2 days.

All 3 of my horses get electrolytes and Black as Knight (2 bays and a grey) and one gets Smart Flex II and another one gets Cool Calories.

The only drawback for me is that the raccoons that live in the woods behind my house figured out how to open the drawers.:lol: As of right now, I've outsmarted them, but I know they're in the woods coming up with a plan. I'm about to get one up'ed by some rodents.:D

OH my gosh that is way too funny!! I can see them sitting around and plotting their next foray into your feed room!!!

superpony123
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:32 PM

oh thats hilarious :lol::D

my advice: invest in a barn cat or two :winkgrin: but probably not a widdle fuzzy kittycat. get something a little "heftier" like a maine coone--i don't believe a raccoon would think twice about coming near one ;] theyre cute and fuzzy, but they're SO BIG! like this.. (not a pic of me, just googled)
http://community.thenewstribune.com/files/images/coonbig.preview.jpg
http://media.photobucket.com/image/maine%20coon/oOopinchme/ny-maine-coon3.jpg

Seven-up
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:36 PM

my advice: invest in a barn cat or two :winkgrin: but probably not a little fuzzy kitty. get something a little "heftier" like a maine coone--i don't believe a raccoon would think twice about coming near one ;]

I have a big ass dog!!:lol: But that's pointless when she sleeps in the house. I also have a ferocious little 10 lb. orange nightmare of a cat. But she sleeps in the house too. I can't have a barn cat. It just has to purr and meow at me sweetly and it becomes a house cat.:lol:

appychik
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:50 PM
I did Smartpaks for a while for Gus. I LOVED them. However, I found other supps that I like that work better then what Smartpak has to offer. So, I had to discontinue the SPs. However, I wouldn't hesistate to use them again and Smartpak is always my prefered company to shop from.

FWIW, some things may be cheaper to do your own "Smartpak" with. This is what I do now. Just pile all the supps into small rubbermaid containers and put them in a drawer. Best part is that it's all reuseable and I can save more $$ by buying in bulk.

Tamsin
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:17 PM

This is probably neither here nor there, but raccoons aren't rodents! Good luck with them though. They're smart, opportunistic critters.

Horseshowaddict
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:21 PM
And evil....I wouldn't want to be the person to come between a raccoon and its beloved smartpak.

HCF
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:28 PM
I've had my guy on a SmartPak for about 6 months now and I love it! I also love that I can add/change/delete what's in his SP as needed. Another bonus is that you can use the SmartPak free shipping codes on your autoship, too! Just go into your account and put in the code and the shipping is gone. I haven't paid shipping on my SmartPaks yet!

Dance_To_Oblivion
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:34 PM
I love everything about SmartPak!!! The company, the products, the service level, the website, the shipping!! It is all fantastic!!! I highly recommend them :)

kellyb
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:39 PM
Yep. I'm at a boarding barn so it is pretty much necessary.

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:40 PM
Did them for a while but couldn't stand looking at all the plastic I was throwing away/recycling each day. I switched back to buckets and mix my own small ziploc storage containers which I deliver to the barn and they dump at each meal. Same idea but less cost and less waste. Still order my buckets from them though.

Star Creek
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:40 PM
I love everything about SmartPak!!! The company, the products, the service level, the website, the shipping!! It is all fantastic!!! I highly recommend them :)

Ditto to everything DTO said !

SarahandSam
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:55 PM
My entire barn has switched over to SmartPaks--you can still use other supplements, but it's so much easier for the BO to deal with the SmartPaks. I actually use all SmartPak brand supplements as well now--I really like them and they're generally cheaper as well. I use the SmartFlex II, SmartGut and SmartShine. The joint is really just a maintenance, but I will say that he is much shinier this summer on SmartShine than he was last summer on just BOSS.

colorblindpony
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:02 PM
I love my SmartPaks!
They make it a lot easier for my BO to feed my horse, rather than opening up 3 different supplement containers, and I never have to worry about not being able to get out to the feed store to pick up more supplements.
My mare gets NuImage, a multivitamin-type thing called Ultra Elite Pro-Form, and SmartPak's brand MSM supplement "Smart MSM" in pelleted form.

LookinSouth
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:04 PM
Did them for a while but couldn't stand looking at all the plastic I was throwing away/recycling each day. I switched back to buckets and mix my own small ziploc storage containers which I deliver to the barn and they dump at each meal. Same idea but less cost and less waste. Still order my buckets from them though.

Ditto. I used smartpaks for awhile at home for the convenience factor but I soon became tired of the additional waste in plastic. I board now and some of us use smartpaks but most of us just bag our supplements to make it easier for the BM. My 18 year old gelding gets Smartflex Senior, GUT by Uckele and Omega Horseshine.

Tiffani B
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:16 PM
I absolutely LOVE SmartPak. The convenience is the #1 factor - no bringing buckets of supplements to horse shows, no having to check to see if I'm getting low and remembering to reorder, no having to try to explain to the barn help how much/when to give them... the pricing can be slightly higher on some of the supps but most are very competitive. Plus you can usually find a free shipping coupon floating around here on COTH. :winkgrin:

My boy is on U-Gard and Total Joint Care.

diKecnadnuS
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:17 PM
I love SmartPak! The company is GREAT, and you can always find a free shipping code online.
When I leased a horse in college I used SmartPaks to ensure that he was getting his supplements. I've noticed at many boarding barns sometimes they don't get what they should when they're in the tubs, but in the SmartPaks they tend to always be fed, and you can guarantee the person feeding is not messing up the dosage. I loved the auto ship too! The horse I used them with was such a sweetheart, and I felt bad for making his food taste bad with supplements so I'd get a treat added to my smart paks (in a smartpak chamber) and the treat rotated flavors. This way, even if I didn't make it to the barn one day, Crabby would get his treat. :)

I had such a great experience with SmartPak Equine that I started using SmartPak canine for Milly's supplements. Right now I'm using the bottles (bought from SmartPak) and stopped the SmartPaks because it is a little cheaper, but I do miss them. I wish they had more pro and prebiotic options for the canine supplements.

If I ever owned a boarding barn I would require supplements be in smartpaks. When I get more dogs I'll switch back to SmartPaks. The customer service is also excellent!

tcgelec
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:20 PM
BIG fan of SmartPak! I have my own 4 stall barn and mostly feed everything myself, but the convenience factor of auto-ship is huge for me. I was always running out of stuff before SmartPaks! I have another (non-horsey) business that I run, and my DD helper is away at college now I have to make my barn life as convenient as I can just to get everything done in a day. Two horses on Cosequin and Smart E and an old timer on SmartFlex Senior and SmartHoof. Also get a tub of SandClear in my monthly order.

I am extremely loyal to companies that I feel have earned my loyalty...and I feel SmartPak has. I am especially impressed with the fact that they don't use customer #s...they actually use your name! Just a small touch...but appreciated. Most sales people have been knowledgeable about the products also...and extremely helpful. They actually CALL YOU BACK to reply to a question when they couldn't answer it immediately.

I started getting a little concerned about the plastic being disposed of also, so I put a recycling bin in the barn and we recycle the plastics every two weeks.

Did I say I was a big fan?

Iride
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:34 PM
Our barn has a big garbage bin that is designated the Recycle bin for all the Smartpak containers.

However, I personally don't use Smartpak. It's for one reason only, they don't carry a couple of the supps I feed. I figure if I'm gonna use them, I want to use them if they can supply what I need soup to nuts. I'm extremely particular about the specific supplement product/brand I feed, and I've written to them a couple of times asking if they'd carry xyz product and they did take note (no offering of it just yet though).

That said - I agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY with all the others who have praised the company and its policies and customer service (I order from the catalog quite a bit). They have always shipped stuff to me ASAP (I don't think I've ever waited longer than a couple of days to receive something), and, they will usually send me a paid return shipping label if I request it! Now that is great CS.

But back to the Smartpak issue - even though I'd love the convenience, the way I do it for my horses turns out to be just as easy if not easier (for the grooms)... I put all the day's supps into ziplock baggies like another poster here said, so all the groom has to do is dump a baggie each day into the feed bucket in one fell swoop. Then I reuse the baggie again the next time I prepare baggies. Another thing I've noticed is that certain items are less expensive if I buy them individually, whereas in Smartpaks they would end up more expensive in the end. But that only goes for some things, not all.

billiebob
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:52 PM
Smartpak is a wonderful company! Nearly all our boarders whose horses get vitamins use them. The few that don't make up DIY Smartpaks (aka baggies) for me to feed. I like how the vitamins are fresh every feed. Plus it's great to just throw all the paks on the feedcart and go!

JWB
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:04 PM
LOVE the SMARTPAKS!!!!

It might be a little cheaper to bag my own supplements but I'm paying for the convenience..... I might save a buck or two doing it myself but it's worth a buck or two to know that my supplements will be delivered to the barn and I don't have to think about it or remember to reorder.

I'm at a boarding barn. Almost everyone uses SmartPaks... There is one lady who's out there every day and she bags her own but the rest of us use SmartPaks. They are recycleable.

mypaintwattie
Sep. 6, 2009, 12:49 AM
Love Smartpaks- my horse has been on them since the day I got her. They are so easy to feed, stay fresh, and I never worry about running out. Money is tight right now so I did buy a few supplements in bulk buckets from them that I put in baggies, but I keep SmartPaks with the 'smart' supplements that she is on. I love the auto ship, the flat rate shipping, and the great prices that they have on other supplies- and the customer service is out of this world!

SueL
Sep. 6, 2009, 02:05 AM
Smartpaks are made from recycled plastic:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/whysmartpak.aspx. Scroll down.

Sue

MintHillFarm
Sep. 6, 2009, 06:39 AM
SmartPak is fabulous! Great customer service, great prices, pretty much the only place I need to go for most of my horsey needs. Even when there were mistakes in an order (which has only happened once). There was no questioning, only great people to talk to an fix the problem and I had what I needed in a couple of days. They really are worth it!

The folks there are great to work with and always follow up on questions.
I am very impressed with the company overall and highly recommend them.

piaffequeen
Sep. 6, 2009, 03:48 PM
LOVE THEM! My 25 TB gets the Smartpak Senior and he has just blossomed on it! Its also one of the few supplement he will eat! I HIGHLEY RECOMMEND THEM! Great and friendly service and I have them shipped to my trainer's barn who also uses them!

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 6, 2009, 04:12 PM
Cloudy smartpaks, the concentrated farrier's formula for hooves, the smartpak version (forget the name) of antioxidants, both are pelleted, and the powdered "summer games."

We did a lot of experimenting for a while on different things. I like the smartpak brands as they have more of everything, but Cloudy got too much over a year ago and he stocked up. So we mix smartpak brands with name brands.

Good service and of course we have the great thread on coth for smartpak freeshipping codes.

And about the service? One employee went "downstairs" and looked thru a fly mask to let me know if cashel crusader's had changed the visibility. (they haven't) Now that is service!

cloudyandcallie
Sep. 9, 2009, 03:02 PM
So I realized this past weekend that I miscalculated the tritec gallons I had bought in July when Jeffers had the 15% off plus 10% off, so I will be running out of tritec before we run out of bugs this fall, so I emailed smartpak last night, altho my cut off for my FSCAUG free shipping code for my 9/11 smartpak has passed, plus last Friday was my cutoff date to change the order and.................
they are shipping me a gallon of tritec and with free shipping, so I'll get it next week with my regular older.
Great and great!

Oldenburg99
Sep. 9, 2009, 03:17 PM
If you have 3 or more people on Smart Paks at your barn they do the "barn buddy" system. They will ship all the SmarPaks to the barn and bill you individually and ship them for free. Love them lots!

Plus, their customer service is far superior. They will email you back within a day with your answer and they are always super nice and helpful. :)

Oldenburg99
Sep. 9, 2009, 03:19 PM
http://www.smartpakequine.com/BarnBuddyProgram.aspx

Ooooppsss its $3.95 for barn buddy shipping but still thats cheap!

TooManyChickens
Sep. 9, 2009, 03:39 PM
My very first order of Smart Paks arrived 2 weeks ago.. and everyone is on the Smart Pak supplements. I had been feeding a few supps that they didn't carry, but when I looked at the comparison charts and realized that many of Smart Pak's own supplements actually had more of the ingredients I had been wanting to feed, AND cost less?? No brainer. My horses are at home and I do my own feeding, but it saves me time and call me crazy, but I have so much fun feeding them! I do recycle everything. I have already seen a difference in my TB that is on SmartGain. My senior gelding is on SmartFlex Senior, and that sucker RAN across the pasture the other day. I didn't think he went above first gear anymore!

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 9, 2009, 04:11 PM
When I had my horse, I used the smartpaks they were great, and when daughter was at a different barn she used them, and it was awsome at the shows!!!!

Now don't laugh at this, but I get my two dogs food from them. We were always running out, one dog getting way too much, so I get their food delivered and it's great, no measuring, (son is on doggy duty!!) and their coats look great. Prob not the most cost effective, I think it's about 60 a month for the two labs, but def piece of mind!!! Nothing like running out of food and have to hungry labs staring you down!! :eek:

mvp
Sep. 10, 2009, 12:19 AM
No!

I do make my own Smartpaks in little tupperware tubs, but I can't bring myself to generate that much garbage, day in, day out.

Iride
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:26 AM
Now don't laugh at this, but I get my two dogs food from them. We were always running out, one dog getting way too much, so I get their food delivered and it's great, no measuring, (son is on doggy duty!!) and their coats look great. Prob not the most cost effective, I think it's about 60 a month for the two labs, but def piece of mind!!! Nothing like running out of food and have to hungry labs staring you down!! :eek:

What do you feed your labs? Mine gets Fromm's (Gold version). No idea if they carry it but it's a great quality food.

Hunter/JumperMom
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
I feed them them both the Live Smart foods, lamb and rice, one gets senior and one gets the regular. I just like the convenience of it.

VA_Hunter_Aside
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:42 AM
When I was a barn manager of a big boarding barn the barn owner insisted that everyone use Smart Paks unless they only had one supplement. With 43 horses to make feed for every morning it was SO much faster than it would have been without them. And it was easier for the part time help to get it right.

I would do Smart Paks now but I only have two horses at home that get supplements so I can't justify the extra cost. You can save money by using Smart Pak but my guys only get MSM (cheaper in a bucket than Smart Paks) and ground flax meal which I get super cheap and fresh from Tri County Feed.

trubandloki
Sep. 10, 2009, 08:55 AM
I love Smart Pak!

I have one horse at home that gets supplements and I just switched over from ordering tubs to getting everything he needs in smartpaks. I did the math and it does not cost me any more to do it this way and I know the amounts are always right.
Every now and again the hubby will feed and I learned that he thought the scoops in all the supplement containers were all the same size :eek: . Which explains why I ran out of one really quick when he was feeding for me when I was sick.

Smart Pak thinks of everything too. When you get your initial drawer unit it comes with that piece of plastic board to make the pocket at the front to put the paper work. Very smart on their part. Such a simple thing to make things so much easier for the end user.

luvs2ridewbs
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:22 AM
I love smartpak too. And we recycle them so it doesn't create waste.

HollysHobbies
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:25 AM
I use SmartPak's Senior Joint Supplement along with BioFlax for his feet. I've been very happy with this combo and the cost is under $50/month.

I also feed a 30% Triple Crown booster for vitamin/min/protein (along with his meager handful of TC Senior).

LSM1212
Sep. 10, 2009, 10:47 AM
I've been using SmartPak for about 2.5 years now. I board and I know it's easier for the staff to give supps this way. And I can also keep track to make sure he's getting them.

My guy's SmartPak is:
SmartMSM
Farrier's Formula
SmartLytes

I also get the SmartDigest but I get that in the tub form as he only gets it weekly. Just easier that way and I just give it to him on Sundays when I'm out at the barn. Or I can have the staff give it if needed.

I'm sure if you really searched around, you could find the same type of supps for cheaper. But I did the "baggie" thing and it was just a pain. So like someone else posted, the little extra I pay for SmartPaks makes up for the time I save.

I also use the free shipping codes... so in reality, I'm probably not spending more because other companies charge shipping. So there goes the savings!

Do you know if you can get free shipping if you participate in the buddy barn program? The new I'm at has an account and was wondering.

CS is great and helpful. Never had an issue w/ SmartPak. :)

fordtraktor
Sep. 10, 2009, 04:49 PM
When boarding, I went to CVS and bought 4 of those HUGE SMTWTFS pill containers. I filled them up once a month. My horse got one compartment a day. Insta-smartpaks for the BO, and much cheaper.

This only works if your horse gets a reasonable amount of supplements. Mine gets Cosequin, Grand Hoof and a little selenium/Vit E, which all fits in one compartment.

On my parents' farm, some of our boarders do Smartpaks, and others give us the whole jar or bucket. We highly prefer to have something like a smartpak, as doling out supplements is a huge hassle when you have 20+ horses all getting different things. I would not blame any BO that made them or an equivalent mandatory if the boarder wants to give supps.

manyspots
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:26 AM
Thought I would chime in....

I did Smartpaks for years UNTIL I brought my guy home. He has been here for 10 months and after dealing with diet changes and other issues, I found I was either having to deal with the hassle of snipping parts of the Smartpak off or throwing out all together. I also found that even with a free shipping code, I could sometimes buy the tubs cheaper locally OR with shopping codes from retailmenot.com from other sellers (such as Jeffers.)

So now, we do the 1 cup Gladware containers. I make nine days in advance (morning and night) and store them in my Smartpak drawer. Now I can change his supplements or add as needed. I also found I was SAVING time not having to peel those strips then recycling. Now I just pull the lid and we keep an empty bucket for the glad containers in the feedroom. Seriously, I save time and love it with my busy schedule!!!!!

I do still support Smartpak whenever possible with a free shipping code. They do sometimes have the best deal on tubs... I'm just a super bargain shopper!!! :lol:

McVillesMom
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:40 AM
Just got my first supply of SmartPaks for my mare. I've done the baggies, and more recently plastic screw-top containers, but decided to try the SmartPaks, mainly because I needed to try different supplements for her. I was attempting to feed her Reitsport from Horsetech, but she stopped eating it after a couple of weeks, despite its yummy peppermint flavor :lol: So I needed something with joint, probiotics and OFAs, and I also wanted to find a hoof supplement with more biotin in it, and they all needed to be pelleted, not powdered. I went with the SmartHoof Ultra and the SmartFlex I Maintenance. I also got her daily dewormer, even though I have a bucket at home - I"ll use that for the boy.

I won't change my gelding to SmartPaks, however, because he gets Cosequin ASU and, as a vet student, I get that at a GREATLY reduced cost from Cosequin. I could SmartPak everything else (daily dewormer and Glanzen) but it's not that much of a pain to make up, and I don't want the barn staff to have to deal with scooping out the Cosequin separately.

dodedo
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:04 AM
As usual the COTH board has some great info!
Where are you guys getting a new free ship code every 28 days from?
I just started my 2 on SP's to help the feed room be a little more organized, easier on those that dump feed and not even mentioning the fact that this way I do not have to worry about mice chewing the baggies open or running out, time it takes to fill the baggies, go out and buy the supps....etc etc
Smartpak is the way to go for me! My time is valuable so it is so worth it!
I would love to be able to save on the shipping though!
Ye wise COTHers please educate me!

Lucassb
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:56 AM

I love Smartpaks and have used them for years. My horse gets Grand Hoof, a mega-vitamin, and a joint supplement.

Seven, if it makes you feel any better, I am apparently currently providing hotel services (beds, food & bathing facilities) for "our" raccoons. Here is one lounging on my back porch after a tasty dinner of the trail mix we so cleverly provided in what what looked a lot like bird feeders:

cgray0983
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:22 PM
I Smartpak - I usual price everything out first - the only thing that was more expensive I found was HylaMotion pellets. I have also switched to Smartpak brand stuff where I can because they are even less.

My horse is on a lot, 14 y/o semi-retired/rehab due to injury >.<

SmartVite Senior
SmartFlex Senior
Strongid C2X
Cough Free (he is allergic to dust)
SmartCalm

Containers are made of recycled materials.

Jaegermonster
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:37 PM
FWIW, some things may be cheaper to do your own "Smartpak" with. This is what I do now. Just pile all the supps into small rubbermaid containers and put them in a drawer. Best part is that it's all reuseable and I can save more $$ by buying in bulk.

that's what I do. Smartpak had a special once, a month of free supplements if you ordered x amount of other stuff, so I tried it. It ended up being cheaper for the supplements i use to use the little rubbermaid containers ( i use the 8 oz round ones) and buy the supps in bulk, then make up a bunch of the containers. I usually do enough for a month.
The main thing I didn't like about the Smartpak was all the waste from the little containers and the wrappings and so on. I only had one horse on it and there was a lot of trash.

But I can see how it would be very nice for large boarding barns or people travelling and showing a lot etc.

mortebella
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:41 PM
Have nothing but good things to say about them. Unfortunately my horse is such a picky eater he WOULD NOT eat his supplements (unless we fed them to him by hand in applesauce every day - yeah, he can work a scam, that one) I ended up having to d/c them and put him on adequan, which is working great, but another story - but everyone at SmartPak was lovely the whole way through. And although there was no precise reason his joint supplement should've improved his coat, there's SUCH a difference now that he's just on adequan! Whatever he was getting down of the SmartFlex Senior apparently made his coat just wonderful. :lol:

Also would recommend their "barn buddies" program if you're at a boarding facility (if they still have that? I would imagine so.) It can significantly cut your shipping costs by having everyone's supps arrive at the same time every month.

M. O'Connor
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:35 PM
I'm using them at the moment; for the present time they are the cheapest way to serve up Grand Hoof pellets. I will keep an eye on the charges and switch back to buying it in bulk again when the price is no longer favorable.

I have used them before when we've sent horses "out," to board, and they are first class to deal with. I do wish it didn't feel like I was generating so much trash with the little packets piling up in the garbage, though.

Seven-up
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:26 PM
I love Smartpaks and have used them for years. My horse gets Grand Hoof, a mega-vitamin, and a joint supplement.

Seven, if it makes you feel any better, I am apparently currently providing hotel services (beds, food & bathing facilities) for "our" raccoons. Here is one lounging on my back porch after a tasty dinner of the trail mix we so cleverly provided in what what looked a lot like bird feeders:

That pic is priceless!:lol:

Just don't let my baby raccoon see it. He might demand an upgrade from the old empty storage room behind the barn that serves as his current accommodations.

Right now, when I catch the baby (not really baby, just young) in the barn, all he does is hide his face. He figures if he can't see me, I can't see him. It's just too cute to chase away.

HCF
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:36 PM
As usual the COTH board has some great info!
Where are you guys getting a new free ship code every 28 days from?
I just started my 2 on SP's to help the feed room be a little more organized, easier on those that dump feed and not even mentioning the fact that this way I do not have to worry about mice chewing the baggies open or running out, time it takes to fill the baggies, go out and buy the supps....etc etc
Smartpak is the way to go for me! My time is valuable so it is so worth it!
I would love to be able to save on the shipping though!
Ye wise COTHers please educate me!

The shipping codes usually come in an email or on the cover of a catalog. They are usually good for a month or two at a time. However, you can find them in this thread from Off Course. CoTHers try to keep it updated! I have yet to pay shipping on my Smartpaks!

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=167998&highlight=smartpak

feed lady65
Oct. 18, 2009, 01:49 AM
Just started the two dogs on the Smart Pak food and vitamins. Love the whole setup and am spending $10 less than I was getting all that stuff at Walmart. Not to mention the gas savings, since it comes right to the house. As soon as the barn is done and the horse and pony in residence, they will be on it too. What a time saver.:yes:

OneMoreTime
Oct. 21, 2009, 02:23 PM
I've used this company for 3 or 4 years for supplements. They are excellent, with AMAZING customer service. For example, in a product review tht I posted to their website, I mentioned wishing that one of their house-brand supplements came in a pelleted, rather than powder, form. But I was still very favorable to the product. Just yesterday, someone from their customer service dept. PHONED MY HOME to tell me that they were in the process of making it as a pellet, hoped to have it ready by spring, and would be sending me a taste-test pack for my horse. Wow. You really have to admire that dedication to customer service.

they are so convenient & our barn manager is so pleased that most of us have switched to SPs - allows us to give whatever supps. our individual horses need.
Big thumbs up!

open front boots
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:09 PM
SmartPak FTW!!!
It makes it SO much easier to feed. I got my BO hooked on it. It's cheaper, easier and you know your horse is always getting the right dose and no "oops, I forgot (insert supplement here)" moments.

BrookdaleBay
Oct. 21, 2009, 10:15 PM
I wish I could get SmartPak's, but unfortunately they do not ship to Canada. I hope they decide to expand their services soon.

Chelly
Nov. 1, 2009, 03:17 PM
I'm with you BrookdaleBay. The second that they can expand to Canada I will be all over it!

BAC
Nov. 13, 2009, 03:20 PM

my advice: invest in a barn cat or two :winkgrin: --i don't believe a raccoon would think twice about coming near one

The raccoons around my home are not at all intimidated by my cats, or by me either. No barn cat is going to keep a coon from anything he wants to eat. They can be quite aggressive, especially the ones that have lost their fear of humans.

cloudyandcallie
Nov. 13, 2009, 03:26 PM
The raccoons around my home are not at all intimidated by my cats, or by me either. No barn cat is going to keep a coon from anything he wants to eat. They can be quite aggressive, especially the ones that have lost their fear of humans.

And the "boar" raccoons are big. Plus the females with babies are very defensive. I boarded for 2 1/2 yrs at a barn where there were 30 plus raccoons who came down out of the trees at about 4pm each day.:eek: I was so worried about the kitten who was dumped off there (and who became C&C's own kitty) but he stood up to the coons, with the help of the old border collie who lived there. When the BC was put up at night, our poor kitty had to ignore the coons. (He moved when he was a year old and has been a house cat for the last 5 yrs.)

I'm saving 7.95 every 3 weeks with the free shipping, since my barn buddy moved away. That $ goes to the apple fund for spoiled horses.

patina.marc
Nov. 14, 2009, 09:14 AM
I am a SmartPak fan for sure! I think they offer quality products and friendly customer service.

The pre-allocated paks are great for dispersing supplements at a large stable with different client needs.

I run my own barn, and because of cost, I use bulk product. I use small rubbermaid containers and allocate according to the stall order. As I walk the feed cart down the aisle, each horse gets supplement.

SmartPak has great pricing on Cosequin tubs...they last a long time. Their hoof supplement is also very good. When they offer free shipping...stock up!!

Iride
Nov. 14, 2009, 11:24 AM
Does anyone find that it's a bit tricky to open the smartpaks smoothly, without jarring some stuff out (hence popping some out/losing some)? Especially if the first pot contains a powder supp?

Sadie*Bear
Nov. 14, 2009, 05:50 PM
I wish I could get SmartPak's, but unfortunately they do not ship to Canada. I hope they decide to expand their services soon.

I agree, I am another Canadian. I buy bulk in big containers and get them shipping to a drop shipping place in the USA. It's totally worth it though!