PDA

View Full Version : Veiled for sale threads

Weighaton
Sep. 5, 2009, 02:37 PM
I am wondering what you all think of relatively new posters who ask for advice on horses or ponies they are in the market for while giving links to the for sale ads or videos of said equine. It seems that anyone who wants to get the word out about their sale animals could easily say, "Hey look at this horse and let me know if he is worth $$$ because I really want to buy him." Then three or more pages are devoted to the animal for sale.

I am only curious because I saw two such threads today.

jn4jenny
Sep. 5, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think they are annoying and against the rules. As such, I report them to the mods. And 9 times out of 10, the mods remove them.

For the (many) COTH'ers who don't seem to ever notice it, you can alert the mods to an iffy thread or post with the little "!" sign at the top right of every post.

slc2
Sep. 5, 2009, 04:56 PM
The moderators are very good here, they take care of such things. For the bulletin board to stay around people need to follow the rules and give advertising dollars when they want to advertise.

Ambrey
Sep. 5, 2009, 04:59 PM
For sale ads aren't supposed to be posted at all, by anyone, seller, buyer, or window shopper. It's kind of a bummer because I enjoy vicarious shopping, but I totally understand why it has to be that way.

Flamboyant
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:04 PM
I have a question. I have a mare that I'll be putting up for sale in the future. Is there any way I can post a thread asking for advice as to her pricing without breaking the rules?

slc2
Sep. 6, 2009, 06:12 AM
Unfortunately, doing so almost always is, in fact, having the effect of advertising the horse. Invariably it will result in some inquiries by PM. The moderators have cautioned people before on this problem.

A couple possible things you could do instead.

If you ask people to describe prices and ranges, you will enjoy seeing the fur fly, but little else. Since ideas about prices vary depending on the region and what area of the market the person is familiar with, there is usually little agreement in those threads.

Make a general question, rather than describing your horse, start a thread on 'Hi, I'm trying to understand the dressage market - would you be willing to describe a horse you've sold recently and give a ballpark price?'...though people might be understandably hesitant to answer fully!!!

Or you can have a riding instructor or trainer advise you on where to set the price. It's best to PAY someone to evaluate the horse, and then NOT have him sell and board and train it, if you suspect the price might be high and months of board and training bills might result....keep in mind sometimes agents DO tend to suggest you add training to get a higher price later....but advice to put a horse in training to sell it isn't necessarily bad.

Or you can have an appraiser value the horse.

Reading ads on places like Dreamhorse isn't always a good way to set a price on a horse. Many of those horses are very, very overpriced and don't sell for anything near the asking price in your market. Prospects, especially, are overpriced.

Overpriced horses can stay on the market for a year or more. An initial high price can put the seller in a dilemma as most ads are on the internet, and prices and dates can be compared.

Good rules of thumb are these -

Unfortunately due to the severe recession we have going on, many horses are for sale, and the fewer buyers out there are even more selective and cautious.

Horses with value sell for more. Bloodlines, soundness, training and show wins are the four things that add value to horses.

Horses with specialized training sell for more...but might take longer to sell!

A horse marketed at a lower level might sell quicker, if time is of the essence.

Horses with less value sell for less - much less in this market. Horses with little show experience, horses that have been standing in a field without being used for a long period of time, horses that are difficult for the average person to ride, horses even with minor blemishes or questions or 'serviceably sound' where how serviceable and how limited is an issue.

If the horse is a 'tough fit' it can be very hard to price. That very limited height jumper that's hard to rate over a fence, is fussy in dressage and hard to handle on the ground, that very average mover that requires a professional dressage trainer riding frequently to keep him from getting naughty with the average rider, the older horse with very little training and no show record coming off an injury...boy this is a baaaad market for them.

It also matters if you can 'multi-purpose' a horse. In the low middle of the market(thousand to a few thousand), often the buyer usually wants a multipurpose horse, not a highly trained, advanced, sensitive-to-the-aids horse. If it can be driven, ridden, shown in western pleasure and dressage, so much the better.

Keep in mind too especially at the lower middle end of the market MANY horses have no training in dressage and are 'repurposed'. In that part of the market many people buy cheap western pleasure, hunt seat or saddle seat horses, or off the track horses, and retrain them. If the price is right the horse can be repurposed....but...the seller who has put a lot of training cost and time and effort into a very average or limited horse will have to compete with those cheaper 'repurpose' horses.

TheHorseProblem
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:06 PM
I had someone PM me about a post on Off Course, and ever since, I get sales emails from her. And no, I'm not ever going to be in the market for a 4 year old OTTB.:no:

I also notice frequent posts in the line of I just bought the most fantastic breeches! Some of those seem like plants.

YankeeLawyer
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:17 PM
Asking pricing questions rarely yields useful information, imo. Sellers say the price should be high; buyers (and particularly serial tire kickers) insist the price should be low and toss in a comment about how it is easier to shop in Germany.