PDA

View Full Version : Ofsprings of Gauguin de Lully

AnnaCrew
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:22 AM
Sorry, I'm ignorant about dressage lines. I just got a 6 yo mare from Hector, son of Gauguin de Lully (Swedish Warmblood).
Mother line of this mare I do know well, but I have no connections in dressage to ask about this Hector. Gauguin de Lully is quite good sire how I understood, but how are his children? What he is passing over? I see that quite a lot of his babies are in US, so maybe you can tell me a bit?

Sandy M
Sep. 5, 2009, 04:05 PM
There's one Canadian son of Gauguin de Lully I've heard of - can't remember his name - that was doing FEI levels with an Ammy. Gauguin de Lully's owner originally restricted his breeding quite a bit - mostly to his own mares, so he didn't get a lot of outside, fancy mares to breed, so there aren't that many of his offspring and I haven't heard much of them. Of course, like Secretariat, for all I know he may be a better broodmare sire than a direct sire and there may be some nice horses that are his descendants that you just don't hear about unless you're deep into pedigree research.

Kaelurus
Sep. 5, 2009, 04:24 PM
There was a stallion at the farm I work at by Gauguin de Lully, named Galiani CH. He is now deceased, but he was one of the most phenomenal horses I have ever known. His get all have FAB personalities, and are some the easiest horses I have ever worked with. If you want some more info, PM me, and I'll give you what I can.

AnnaCrew
Sep. 5, 2009, 04:35 PM
Kaelurus, had sent you PM

Boomer
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:57 AM
Here's a stallion by Gaugin du Lully:

http://www.swanaoffice.org/Stallions/stallion_Gauguin%20du%20Cheval.aspx

I don't recognize the stallion Hector, maybe he's standing in a registery other than swedish? He's not on the Swed WB Association of N. America's list of stallions.

equusaround
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:45 PM
Gauguin de Lully didn't start breeding until AFTER he finished his international competition career and he died 5 - 6 years later so didn't leave behind that many offspring. Heather Robertson had a son (Maguin) that she competed to GP in Europe. Mr. G. De Lully (recently deceased) was a successful international dressage competitor ridden by Fiona Bigwood (England).

My stallion (the grey one from the above-post)

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff171/teamgauguin/DucatRMwWillyArts2002Champion.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff171/teamgauguin/IMG_2509.jpg

is both a successful dressage competitor and a fabulous jumper. His offspring inherit the gaits and the jump.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff171/teamgauguin/Georgia%202004%20mare%20by%20Gauguin%20du%20Cheval/CopyofIMG_1842.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff171/teamgauguin/Georgia%202004%20mare%20by%20Gauguin%20du%20Cheval/CopyofIMG_1881.jpg

I bred with frozen semen after GdL died. Little known is the fact that GdL was the Swiss Preliminary Event champion at age 6 with his amateur owner BEFORE he embarked on his dressage career. GdL sired horses tend to be very athletic and tend to be very sweet. They have a reputation for having terrific bucks (ages 4-6) as well, but that is because they are so athletic, not because they are mean.

I've never heard of Hector either. Is he approved in any registry?

AnnaCrew
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hector info is here
http://www.blup.se/en-US/horses/96933-hector-swb

But here are more his offsprings on the world, not just one.

Our green mare... we tried her out carefully to see how she is... Must to say that somebody already had trained her for Dressage and trained well. Our problem is - to find a Dressage rider for her as my husband is... ok, please no comments about his seat or anything. He is very sweet and gentle with horses, good for mistreated rescues, but not a good rider at all - after we started accidentally rescue, he went to trainer last September to learn a bit and so far he still is "a bit" - he can jump and likes it, but dressage is dark side of the moon for him.

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/qq222/ozolkalni/07-09-09lilly/

Here are her pictures from today - first few when we lunged her a bit to see if she shows any problems (limping or something but we did not spotted anything), and the rest later when Peter carefully mounted her to see how green she is. When she made 2 pirouettes, Peter jumped off and said that he can not ride her as he has no idea what he is doing. He does not want mess her up.

equusaround
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:23 PM
Anna: Do you have papers on this horse? If so, who issued them? From the link to the BLUP index/ASVH horse information, Hector is not an approved ASVH (SWB) stallion. It does appear he competed to FEI in dressage. The mare looks nice. I also like Hector's dam line - good dressage producing horses there.

I like the photos of the horse. Looks like she inherited the great hind quarters that gave GdL his gaits and strength.

Please keep me informed as to how you do with this lovely horse.

Best Wishes.

AnnaCrew
Sep. 7, 2009, 01:48 PM
Papers are issued by our gov register. I do not know details, but Hector was here, in my country, had been ridden by one Dressage rider for a while and had been bred to several mares. So he was approved for breeding here then.

I tried to video her gaits today but no success with my camera - gaits are just beautiful! Even in this condition... We had not pushed her hard, less than 10 min lunging and less than 10 min riding under saddle later, but when she started trot with my husband, it was like bally dancer performance!

And you know, for me she somehow looks a bit happier already today.

Now I'm tracing down her previous owners just to find out who trained her, how far it was done and is there any accidents/injuries/illnesses in her past.

whicker
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:00 PM
Anna,

I am a fan of yours from the off course threads. PLEASE, PLEASE feel welcome and post here, too. You have brought so much to us in your careful study of horses and their behavior. I love that you are so creative in training from observation and empathy. I know no one else who has a knack for training a horse to be a good dining room guest or the language skills.

You have found extraordinary horses and brought them back to more than health. They glow with happiness. I am sure this new one looks much better all ready. It seems to take about 24 hours for the other horses to welcome in the new one. Your photos show the change in expression.

We learn from you and your love for animals. It keeps us true to the reason that we wanted to be with horses. I hope that you will consider using your CotH writing as a basis for a book series. You are an extraordinary writer.

You have made Latvia a place we want to come and visit to see you!

AnnaCrew
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:47 PM
Thank you Whicker - I'm blushing now, and feel already guilty for posting on Dressage thread - this is not my place, for sure, as I'm complete beginner, and sadly Dressage has not been on my agenda at all. Honestly - I needed to watch human parody of Isabel W to get the idea of basic Dressage elements. Shame on me! So sorry spamming here but I felt that this new rescue girl needs specific help and that she is worth it.

I'm so confused now - traced breeder and breeder revealed info - she had been sold as weanling 6 y ago and since then had been hanging around in stable X all these years, in pastures, doing nothing - no basic riding, no Dressage, not even breeding. Plain nothing and pastures. Maybe her genes is so strong? I do not know what to think now. She really had only a Gypsy boy who put her under saddle (and he has no idea about Dressage, I know that).

PS. As I pointed before, seriously, COTHers are welcome! Not all of you at once, but about 4 at once :) If you are going to Europe, it is not a big dog leg to my small corner :)

whicker
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:12 PM
Anna,
You DO know more than you realize. Just like watching Baryshikov dance, you don't have to know the technical side of ballet to feel the power of illusion of effortless excellence. It is the art that sings to the soul. When you see a horse do what you see, it has the feel of the art. That Peter can have 2 pirouettes is extraordinary. I think he has great balance and feel. Please tell him that for me! You have the eye for tuning to animals. That is a gift, too.

The training and the education all help with learning the technical that underpin the development, but the eye and the feel and empathy are gifts that are born with you.

You do research enormously and you choose well. There is much you do from the ground that uses creativity. If you can watch the spanish riding school train, I think you will see what I mean.

Please, stay with us and ask questions. We will do our best to help you learn more. You can always pm me.

Kaelurus
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:02 PM
Anna, your girl is lovely! I wish you the best of luck with her, and please post more pics for us as she comes along :D

AnnaCrew
Sep. 8, 2009, 02:53 PM
Actually, the girl really looks better already - she visibly looks like she had put some weight on her. And she is not having that roached back anymore when she stands.

When we realized what a gem we have, we put her in separate paddock with our yearling Sapphire for a company - Sapphire is gentle and quite submissive, from very sad past and health conditions so we decided that they will be the best suited and also safest pair together in the paddock. Lilly is quite timid (at least so far) so being with little timid Sapphire nobody will bully her around and risk of accidents now is much lower.

Lilly is smart and very human orientated. I was brushing her this morning for nearly an hour, and also this afternoon. She just loves it. (And I love it too, BTW :D).

Peter in turn had a bit of a training session with her. He was teaching WHOA to her. Without a lead, just walking along. And you know - she learned it in 5 minutes - walk along, Peter says whoa and she instantly stops, she gets praised and cuddled, then again... After 5 minutes voice was not needed anymore. Peter walks, she walks head to his shoulder, he stops, she instantly stops... It is not a serious training, just a light useful game to keep her company, some exercise and something to think about.

In the same way they both were walking over trotting poles and she was happy - no fear at all. We do not use lead in field with her, so she does it voluntary - just call her and ask to follow. According to the fact that she spent 6 years in pastures with minimal human contact, very, very good reactions - a credit as she is in a new place, new herd, a lot of new things around (we play with her in our homemade jumping arena with different weird constructions and colors around).

I promise some pictures tomorrow if it will be not raining.

ace**
Sep. 8, 2009, 05:18 PM
Here is a link to "Goya de Lully", a son of GdL who stood in Canada. He competed to Prix St. Georges I believe. This might be who SandyM was thinking of:
http://www.sigmawarmbloods.com/stallion/goya.html

I have ridden a GdL son (gelding), and he was so fun to ride. A bit of a quirky personality, very athletic and responsive!

AnnaCrew
Sep. 9, 2009, 12:20 PM
Today's pictures just posted here
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=4363239#post4363239

and here is one miserable and short video from today but probably you will be able to see at least some of her
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzjrYXcKPn8&feature=channel_page

AnnaCrew
Oct. 8, 2009, 03:32 AM
So far Lilly is doing great - she is putting weight on, looks happy and plays with other horses.

I like digging and tracing info until I know as much as possible about past of my horses. And Lilly is an interesting challenge.

indyblue
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:47 AM
Please keep us informed about Liily.Great story.

indyblue
Oct. 8, 2009, 04:54 AM
Also please tell your husband he is doing a great job with his riding.

AnnaCrew
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:24 AM
Just an update. In December Lilly had colicked. Good job that the vet was just 7 minutes away. It was a huge colon impaction. Vet suggested that probably it was building up since summer thus making her stand like she was in September.

It was a 5 day battle for her but now I can say with great relief that it was her only problem. Now she stands as a normal horse, runs as a normal horse, she even rears at pastures when playing and all in all she feels great.

Trainer was here to look at her and in February she will go to trainer to see what can be done with her. Currently she just need to get back into condition which is not so easy at -20 c temps but she is working hard on it :)

This video is poor, it was dark and snowing, but you can see her happy running at the beginning (She is the second one after the turn , first is red mare Giva, the third - little fat Inka).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMI81m_tv80

Gry2Yng
Jan. 13, 2010, 06:33 PM
I have know 2 or 3 GdL foals and have seen the buck! :D All same mare, so I personally never knew who threw the buck.

lilypondlane
Jan. 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
I have two Gauguin de Lully granddaughters and one looks very much like your Lilly. My two are out of Trakehner mares by Draco who was bred by gdl's owner, I believe. My mares are both extremely athletic, lovely movers, smart, and people-oriented with excellent work ethics. And, hmmm, they both have a mighty buck but rarely feel the need to use that weapon.

egontoast
Jan. 15, 2010, 05:13 AM
I think the Op is asking these questions because she's seriously considering breeding this mare and maybe another of her mares to her rescued stallion. There is a thread about it in SHB.

AnnaCrew
Jan. 18, 2010, 06:04 AM
No, this mare goes to trainer in February to see is her problems really over. If all will look as good as it looks now, she will start training, it will be find out which way she can go better and then she will be looking for suitable new owner.

Quinn
Jan. 19, 2010, 02:11 PM
Anna, she really is a lovely mare.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

equusaround
Jan. 20, 2010, 01:57 PM
I have know 2 or 3 GdL foals and have seen the buck! :D All same mare, so I personally never knew who threw the buck.

My GdL SWB approved stallion has a tremendous buck, which he sweetly rarely exercises. But is takes your breath away and generally ensures you are earth bound in a single leap! He's the only horse that I would routinely rotate 360 degrees BEFORE I hit the ground (in the same place where he launched me, sitting down only without the horse between my legs).

I knew another GdL offspring owner who also commented on her colt's bucking ability and Christine Stuckelberger commented that GdL was often naughty when she first started working with him (but in a good natured sort of way).

I think the tremendous buck is part and parcel of their extraordinary physical talent.

Ride4Life
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:09 PM
Wow, I am surprised to hear about GDL and the bucking! My Gauguin de Lully mare is the sweetest, most forgiving and beautifully natured mare under saddle. She has never offered to do anything but work and try to please.

I did get her when she was 9, so maybe she got all her bucks out in her younger days! I will have to go back and ask the breeder.

She does do acrobatics in turnout like you have never seen! She can leap at least 10 feet in the air, while whirling in a 360 circle and kicking sideways. And she rears and then jumps on her hind legs like a ballet dancer. I love to sit and watch! The athletic ability she shows is amazing, and she's still not completely fit! :eek:

equusaround
Jan. 20, 2010, 02:36 PM
They stop the bucking after about age 7, generally. My stallion (and his offspring) are incredibly athletic at liberty as well. They make the "airs" of the SRS look tame by comparison.

I've heard the Weltmeyers do the same stuff from age 3 - 6; if you can survive that age range, you will have an excellent horse!