PDA

View Full Version : Small barns with indoors in MA

greathorses
Sep. 5, 2009, 01:45 AM
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a small barn (ideally 10 or fewer stalls) with an indoor in Massachusetts.

I have a very nice horse I have shown in the AO jumpers and dressage ring who has a health issue that keeps him from being able to eat grass, beet pulp, dry grain or hay. In the past while living in NJ I kept him in private barns owned by friends I had groomed or worked for extensively. I moved up to Boston for grad school and am looking for a place where he might live, either public or private, with exceptional care and an environment where he won't just be another bay with white stripe since that could be deadly for him... Anywhere within an hour and a half of Boston would be great (north, south, west). I will already be commuting boston-wilmington, MA so that particular area would be ideal.

I have good references, have worked for some of the best barns in the country in the past and of course would pay :-)

Comments or PM would be much appreciated. Even just suggestions for private places you don't think would ever take anyone in from the outside. I have non-trivial negotiation skills when it comes to the care of my horses and my willingness to do whatever good things it takes.

I might also consider buying a property outright, but probably would not be financially sound enough to do that for another six months or so.

Also, while I do mostly jumpers, I am discipline blind. Dressage, eventer, jumper, hunter... etc. All are good as long as the care is great.

2boys
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:38 AM
You might want to get a bit more specific about where you would like to be--north, south, west of Boston?

greathorses
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the question. Anywhere within an hour and a half of Boston (by train or car) would be great. I was planning to live in Wilmington so North would have a slight preference, but have yet to lock down a place and will now wait until I find a barn that works.

Brooklyn Born
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:41 AM
I don't know if you have done this already, but you should also post your search on the Bulletin Board on www.equinesite.com, which is a New England based website. I'm sure you will get a lot of responses. Good luck!

SuffolkRider
Sep. 5, 2009, 09:53 AM
You might look at Winthrop Farm in Rowley! They can accommodate most feeding requirements, including soaked hay. Check their website at http://www.winthropfarm.com/

greathorses
Sep. 6, 2009, 12:04 PM
I have received a few really nice suggestions. Thanks! I will be going to the places in the next day or two. If anyone else has any ideas I would love to hear them. That way I can add them to the trip, or make a second search later on in the week.