View Full Version : Epiphany!

make x it x so
Sep. 4, 2009, 08:40 PM
So yesterday I had a lesson on my horse. Haven't ridden consistently over the past week or two, haven't jumped in a while- let's just say my position was less than satisfactory and my eye was not very good.

Frustrated, I doubled my efforts at doing everything my trainer told me to do (the usual: eyes up, heels down, stop perching!). I was on a long approach to a little diagonal brush box, and I decided to really focus on looking up because that was the most recent thing my trainer had said to me, and VOILA! A good distance, plus my body not throwing itself on my horse's neck and collapsing after the jump. Although the rest of my jumps weren't as great as this, I found out that looking down is one of the main roots of all of my problems.

Today, I was practicing over poles, playing with different rhythms, approaches, etc., and every pole worked out nicely (if it was deep it wasn't TOO deep, if it was long it wasn't crazy, etc.) except for the ones that I was looking down at. :yes:

Who would have thought that listening to the trainer helps once in a while? I guess I'll have to try this more often. :winkgrin:

Anyone else have an "Aha!" moment recently?

Blue Bunny
Sep. 4, 2009, 08:57 PM
LOL, I have them all the time!:D

Sep. 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
I recently had that very same epiphany. Looking at a distant point works like magic. If only I had known... Oh yeah, I did know, just didn't really do it!