PDA

View Full Version : We need more owners and breeder's to step up

summerly
Sep. 4, 2009, 02:43 PM
Maggi Moss and WinStar show their true colors....

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2009/September/03/Moss-helps-claim-retire-two-Cornhusker-winners.aspx

Laurierace
Sep. 4, 2009, 04:49 PM
I have claimed one of my own horses back more times than I can count. I also attach my business card to their papers and handwrite on it that I will provide a home at any time regardless of the horse's condition. I don't agree that horses that drop down the ladder are necessarily in need of rescue or inherently more worthy of being rescued than horses that were cheap all along. The bottom line is responsibility regardless of where the horse came from or ended up.

VelvetNoses
Sep. 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
I don't agree that horses that drop down the ladder are necessarily in need of rescue or inherently more worthy of being rescued than horses that were cheap all along. The bottom line is responsibility regardless of where the horse came from or ended up.

:) (http://www.mysmiley.net/freesmiley.php?smiley=happy/happy0065.gif)

I applaud you.

foundationmare
Sep. 4, 2009, 06:29 PM
Laurie, I respect your experience and input, as well as your obvious regard for your horses. But I do worry about the horses that are dropping through the ranks as are the horses recently claimed and retired by Maggi Moss. I am saddened to see an obvious warhorse, with back class and impressive earnings, slugging it out in cheap claimer ranks in an obvious last-ditch effort to eke a dollar. Unless a horse is mostly sound and still really loves its job, those final races can be brutal and disrespectful of the animal.

You're not one of those people, bless ya', but I have my eyes on a few here that deserve to be retired with dignity. They've never been superstars but, OMG, do they show up every. single. race. Obviously they have the goods to have lasted so long. I love those old warriors.

Some day I will win the lottery and provide decent days for those campaigners. Until that happens, I will do everything I can to facilitate re-homing of OTTBs into best possible situations.

Laurierace
Sep. 4, 2009, 06:59 PM
I don't disagree that there are some old warriors as you put it that should no longer be racing. The point is one can not decide whether a horse is in that category simply due to the fact that the horse is dropping down in class. A very good example of that is my horse Sylvester. He ran until he was 13. I claimed him back four times over the years, each time getting him back for less than I lost him for. I finally retired him because each time I got him back he was full of equipoise and thought he was a stallion for a month or two. He never took a bad step in the six years I raced him but he wasn't quite as fast as he was in his younger days and therefore needed an easier spot. He definitely was never in need of rescue except for maybe that period of time that he was in Gill's barn but that is another subject.

Linny
Sep. 4, 2009, 08:31 PM
Laurie's point is well taken that alot of former stakes horse have "followings" and as such, many people are aware of them when they see them in for low tags. It's easy to feel bad for a horse that was once a graded winner and is now in for a cheap price but the ones that were always cheap are in just as much need. In fact many are more in need, as it always seems easier to raise funds or assistance when you can announce a famous name or connection.
It is also unfair to berate the owner of a former stakes horse for running him cheap, especially if he is not the person for whom all that money was made. if the horse earned $500k but he was claimed 3 months ago for $10k and looks like he'll be competitive for $7.5k, then that's where he'll run. To that owner, he's not a "big stakeswinner" he's a $10k claim that has not lived up to expectations. In many cases the "last" owner on the track is a small time owner, not some wealthy bigshot. He's often not in a position to keep a horse that isn't producing. IF the horse does have some sort of attachment on his papers indicating that a prior owner wants him, if would berate that owner (or trainer, they typically handle papers etc) for not following up. It does anger me when a horse turns up at a rescue or auction and it turns out that a prior owner was willing to accept him back and yet the "last" connections never bothered to look or call.

BeverlyAStrauss
Sep. 5, 2009, 03:10 PM
It is not a question of an old war horse being more or less deserving than a cheap claimer- it IS a matter of having someone who is willing to step up to the plate AND give a certain horse a home- any horse is lucky to have that, and if there are people who want to claim a horse for whatever money and retire him, that is great- we need more people in the industry to do that.

Does it make good business sense to pay $5000- for one horse or use that $5000- to pull 10 horses from a kill pen? At first glance most would say the second option--- BUT now factor in feed, space, care, etc for 10 horses and it isn't so cut and dried.

In the end, it depends on who is involved- in this case both Maggi and Winstar wanted Lord of the Game home and did something about it and for that we are grateful.