View Full Version : New Hunter Prospect - Video & Pic - Jumping Videos Added pg 2

Sep. 4, 2009, 01:15 PM
I finally convinced my non-horsey husband to come out and take some video of my newest pony (excuse the poor taping - he tries :))

Rory is 4, bought him out of someone's backyard in the late spring. He was horribly inverted when he first came both to look at and to ride so I was pleased when I watched the video to see that he is starting to want to reach down on his own. We've been taking it pretty easy as he was very underweight and had no topline. Our biggest challenge was getting up in front of the leg (he's SUPER laid back) without having a 25 ft canter stride.

He's not going to set the world on fire but I love, love, love his temperament and he has been so willing and honest.

I'm working on getting a jumping video which I will add later but for now; just the flat (sorry the trot is a little tedious):

And one jumping pic:

Please go easy on the rider if you feel the need to critique - it's hard to look pretty when you're 5 months pregnant!

Sep. 4, 2009, 01:52 PM
What a handsome boy! He looks like lots of fun and appears to be coming along quite nicely from where you describe you started!. Love his laid back attitude those kind can be such a pleasure to ride. (He'd have a place in my barn in a heartbeat!) You look great too and 5-months pregnant to boot. You go girl!

Sep. 4, 2009, 02:01 PM
He's very cute! Wonderful expression! You can't beat the TB's for willingness to try.

Sep. 4, 2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys!

He is SUCH a pleasure to ride - I decided long ago that I would never again own a horse that required a ton of work...I think I'm lazy :lol:

Truthfully though, I'm astounded at the willingness of TB's - the last three horses I owned were all green TB's and just like Rory, marched straight down to the center of the jumps..flowers, boxes, and all.

Sep. 4, 2009, 02:35 PM
He is lovely. Have fun with him!

Sep. 4, 2009, 02:42 PM
Super Cute... but then again, I'm biased... I love thoroughbreds!!
Looks like you guys get along great! And you look wonderful for being 5 months pregnant!!
Congrats!!! :yes: :D (on both the horse and the baby that is....)

Sep. 4, 2009, 02:57 PM
He looks great! So mellow and relaxed. :)

Was he off the track, or farm raised?

Sep. 4, 2009, 03:18 PM
He looks great! So mellow and relaxed. :)

Was he off the track, or farm raised?

He was farm raised - no tattoo...the lady I bought him from worked at the track and the owner offered him to her since he wasn't going to race. She rode him sporadically over the last year but didn't have the time for him so...the rest is history :)

Sing Mia Song
Sep. 4, 2009, 03:30 PM
He is adorable!!

Sep. 4, 2009, 03:45 PM
LOVE him! what a cutie. I am biased to TBs as well for all the reasons you mentioned.

I love in the trot video, when you trot by jumps you see him looking at them out of the corner of his eye like, Can I? Can I? please? hehe

Van Gogh
Sep. 4, 2009, 04:06 PM
I really like him! Very laid back and a nice type! have fun!

Sep. 4, 2009, 06:37 PM

Sep. 4, 2009, 07:03 PM
love the trot. Seems to have a great attitude as well. Would NEVER have guessed you were prego either :winkgrin:

Sep. 4, 2009, 07:44 PM
LOVE him!!

Sep. 4, 2009, 08:14 PM
hee hee, he is adorable, and reminds me of my TB/Paint. The way he turns his head and looks at the jumps is exactly what mine does - but not just to jumps. He looks like he has the same waaayyy comfortable trot too.
Congrats! He is adorable! and Congrats on the pregnancy - you do not look 5 months. You look great!! :)

Sep. 4, 2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks again everyone....isn't it shameless to post a thread to show off your own horse! Guilty as charged :lol::lol:

He always has such a cute expression over jumps:

The timing is off in these obviously but I love his ears - I had no idea what kind of technique he would have as he hadn't even jumped a stick when I bought him but I love that he is interested without being spooky.

He's still learning how to use his gangly self (I won't post the videos of his first line or the red flower jump - let's just say he went over it but it wasn't pretty lol ;))

We are going to do some gymnastics for the first time tomorrow - hopefully I can get someone to video!

Sep. 4, 2009, 10:11 PM
He is absolutely adorable. I am biased anyway, I love chestnut TBs, but he looks like he's got such a super attitude and is very cute to boot.

And you look super, never would have guess you are pregnant!

Sep. 4, 2009, 11:23 PM
what a cutie! he looks like he is blast! have fun with it :)

Sep. 4, 2009, 11:35 PM
Super cute and he looks sooooo sweet!

Sep. 5, 2009, 12:41 AM
:) He has the same expression as mine over the jumps. When he first started jumping he would look at the jump the entire way over it...and jump it like it was 5 ft. Thankfully mine has gotten over that and doesn't take a crossrail like it's a grand prix jump anymore...but the expression is exactly the same as yours...I love it!

Sep. 5, 2009, 01:30 AM
What a handsome lad. I love Thoroughbreds.

Sep. 5, 2009, 02:09 PM
Very cute :)

Great expression too.

How brave you are jumping a green TB baby @ 5 months preggers. Dunno that I would do that....

Sep. 5, 2009, 02:41 PM
How brave you are jumping a green TB baby @ 5 months preggers. Dunno that I would do that....

You have to know this horse :lol: I feel safer on him than I do on some of our seasoned veterans.

This is my second pregnancy...in two years :eek: I showed my young show horse into my 6th month last year - I always said to myself that the minute I doubted my capability or felt even the slightest bit different on horseback, I would stop. Well, 20 years of riding have done the trick and even my pregnant body just feels "right" on a horse. Actually my Eq O/F is a little better too since I can't do my famous duck ;)

Green Acres
Sep. 6, 2009, 04:45 PM
Actually my Eq O/F is a little better too since I can't do my famous duck ;)

Too funny!!!:lol:

He's really cute and looks so laid back. His canter reminds me of my OTTB and I love my guy's canter!!!

Gray Horse H/J
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:16 PM
LOVE him! Of course I'm a little biased, I love TBs. His laid-back attitude reminds me of my TB's. Good luck with him!

Sep. 8, 2009, 10:12 PM
As promised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGZtUaiHB24 - ignore the overjump on the oxer...it was his first time :)

I think with some gymnastic work, he will tidy up his front end.

And some more pics b/c he looks cute :)

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2854831470097913210OEFefa - I love this one...he looks so curious :lol:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2059679440097913210HlsPeW - I thought this was kind of sweet

Sep. 8, 2009, 10:19 PM
OK... love him... and I think that you look wonderful riding him!!!
Definitely has some big time potential... what a nice horse.
And I agree with you... gymnastics will tighten up his front end...
I just love his whole attitude about things!
And he's handsome :winkgrin:

Sep. 8, 2009, 10:34 PM
I loff him! You look great, He is adorable!!!

Sep. 9, 2009, 10:05 AM
Really cute little guy! I rode until I was 7 months pregnant. Would have kept going but the MALE trainer at the barn was getting too freaked out. Stopped riding my greenie and jumping at 5 months, but you are correct. Do what feels good for you. Even at 7 months, I felt great in the tack. Couldn't trot for more than about 5 minutes without running out of oxygen, but balance was good.

War Admiral
Sep. 9, 2009, 10:20 AM
He is absolutely adorable. He looks REALLY sensible. I just loff him. Please God may my baby greenie grow up to be HALF that good! :D

Sep. 9, 2009, 10:26 AM
He looks so relaxed and happy! Your farm looks gorgeous, too.