PDA

View Full Version : SE Maclay Regionals

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:20 AM
Any updates from FL? How are things going?

grandprix123
Sep. 4, 2009, 08:27 PM
I was just about to ask the same thing. I think this is gonna be quite a competitive regional. shawn. chase. molly and amber plus tons more. good luck to all the teens down there!

hideyourheart03
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
I should know about the warm-up medal tonight as soon as my friend calls me. I'll let you guys know what I hear. Looks to be a tough group, but not too much tougher than years past. It's about time the SE Regional began to step-up it's game.

hideyourheart03
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:31 PM
88 is currently winning the FL Governor's Medal (aka Warm-up for Regionals - only Regional entrants are eligible for the class).

hideyourheart03
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:07 AM
Last Night's Class Results:
1. Paulena Johnson
2. Amber Henter
3. Shawn Casady
4. Chelsey Zulia
5. Molly Braswell
6. Carolyn Van Houten
7. Kelley Levine
8. Catherine Billings
9. Julianna Fischer
10. Jaime Steinhaus
11. Jennifer Delman
12. Nicole Belissimo

florida foxhunter
Sep. 5, 2009, 12:46 PM
Yeah, Cate!!! She's an awesome rider who works so hard!!! (Catherine Billings)

How many were competing??

hideyourheart03
Sep. 5, 2009, 02:10 PM
About 50. Maybe a couple less.

schmoe1
Sep. 5, 2009, 03:00 PM
There are 2 that I can think of who are not on that list, but I would think would compete in that regional: Hasbrouck Donovan and Chase Boggio.

hideyourheart03
Sep. 5, 2009, 03:31 PM
Yes, the results from last night did leave out some of the regulars. Hasbrouck, Chase, Taylor Ann, Morgan, and Taylor Brown (who just won the Zone 3 Finals) could all be top contenders tonight too.

But the one thing to remember is they normally take at least 20, if not a few more - my last junior year, they took 26 from a group about the same size as this one - from this region. As nice it would be to get a ribbon, a strong trip O/F and nice flat work will normally get you through, at least here.

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 5, 2009, 04:09 PM
Yay Kelley Levine! She's one of ours!

<3Horses908
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:13 PM
Does anyone have final results? Are they over yet? Thanks!!:)

<3Horses908
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:20 PM
Or does anyone know where to get results?

wesierobb
Sep. 6, 2009, 12:00 AM
Amber won, Hasbrouk 3rd. Taylor Adams 2nd.

Lives2Jump
Sep. 6, 2009, 12:38 AM
Results are posted on www.horseshowsonline.com

PoochPaddock
Sep. 6, 2009, 01:05 AM
1) Kate Billings
2) Chelsea Zulia
3) Carolyn Van Houten
4) Amber Henter
5) Chase Boggio
6) Taylor Ann Adams
7) Taylor Brown
8) Caroline Spogli
9) Paulina Johnson

florida foxhunter
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:24 AM
OMG, Cate won??? Hurray!!! For those who don't know her, she's a darling girl (and my neighbor who also is now riding my horse, Debonair, who she won the Talent Search on last week!!)
Her father owns Little Pond Farm in Tallahassee. They (Rob and Cathy Billings) are the most dedicated family.......mother comes after work to do the braiding, aunt comes to take photos, little sister helps groom.
Cate gets great grades, yet rides every day!
Can you tell I"m thrilled!!! You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!

Flashe
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:12 AM
Catherine Billings is Triumphant at 2009 ASPCA Maclay Region 3 Championship

Green Cove Springs, FL—September 5, 2009—Catherine Billings and trainer-dad Rob Billings shared an emotional weekend by besting 50 top competitors to capture the ASPCA Maclay Regional Championship (Region 3, the Southeast), held during 2009 North Florida Hunter Jumper Association’s Labor Day Horse Show at the Agricultural Center in Green Cove Springs, Fl.

The ASPCA Maclay Horsemanship Trophy is the ultimate junior hunter award, presented to one rider age 18 or under who has competed in a series of qualifying classes and earned enough points to participate in a regional contest. A percentage of all regional winners then advance to the year-end National Championships at the Syracuse Invitational Horse Show, the deciding final will be held on October 31st. Region 3-Southeast includes athletes from Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland. This marks the third year the Southeast Regional Final has taken place in Florida.

The 12-fence course designed by Allen Rheinheimer tested both intellect and handiness of riders. One missed or added stride, misgauged speed, or forgotten lead change could dash hopes of making the call back. “It was a challenging ride.” tonight’s winner Catherine Billings confessed.

The 15-year-old rider, who makes her home in Tallahassee, FL., and trains with her father Rob, has been teamed with Figaro just over a year. “He’s got such a brave heart! I just love him, he takes such good care of me.” said Catherine of her mount 9 year-old Figaro. Both daughter and father were clearly emotional over the win, Catherine was still absorbing the moment and Rob simply beamed with pride. “We had her on a horse as a toddler in leadline classes and look at her now!” Rob gushed. When asked about the balance of being dad and trainer he hugged “Cate” and said, “We started when she was still in diapers, drug her around to all the shows-first in leadline and then on to ponies starting with Mighty Mouse. It’s been a lot of fun. I think it’s created a special bond and common interest for us. But reaching this point in time is largely due to the coaching of Bob Brasswell and Christina Schlusemeyer. We so appreciate they’re taking her under their care.” A smiling Catherine nodded in agreement.

Of the 50 contenders in the first round of the Maclay, 36 were called back by judges Timmy Kees and Jimmy Toon to move into the “flat phase.” Broken into three groups of 12, the judges put them through the paces asking for riders to drop their stirrups and proceed from a sitting trot to a rising trot and finally into a canter. As the last group cleared the ring, deliberations began and silence engulfed the arena as riders, trainers, and spectators held their breath. Working their way to the top in reverse order, no one knew if or where they placed until the announcer called a name and when Catherine’s name was called…a roar of excitement rang out, family and friends teared up. The celebration began.

Presenting the awards for this year’s winners was Leo Conroy of the National Horse Show Association and assisted by Susan Rindal representing North Florida Hunter Jumper Association. The top ten would ribbon and be awarded gift certificates for a free full page from EquestrianCollegeRecruiters.com. The Champion and Reserve would be presented with their respective medals and of course our winning horse would enjoy a handsome embroidered cooler.

The 2009 Maclay National Championship for the ASPCA Horsemanship Classes will be held on October 31st at the Syracuse Invitational Horse Show

REGION 3 TOP 10 RESULTS

Catherine Billings Figaro
Chelsey Zulia Convent 8
Carolyn Van Houten El Campeons Danish
Amber Henter Triumph
Chase Boggio Graphiq
Taylor Adams Almost Famous
Taylor Brown Legato
Caroline Spogli Superfly
Paulena Johnson Prosecco 24
Mahala Rummell George Bailey

can't re-
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:44 AM
Here's the course.

Renn/aissance
Sep. 6, 2009, 04:32 PM
Congratulations to all who made it through!

I wonder when they will start holding SE regionals somewhere out of Florida, where it has been held for the last several years. The distance was the reason I focused on the Medal and not the Maclay my last junior year and this year it our barn's rider from being able to go. It's a long hike for riders farther north.

heartinrye
Sep. 6, 2009, 04:35 PM
Congratulations to all who made it through!

I wonder when they will start holding SE regionals somewhere out of Florida, where it has been held for the last several years. The distance was the reason I focused on the Medal and not the Maclay my last junior year and this year it our barn's rider from being able to go. It's a long hike for riders farther north.

True, but Jacksonville is still about 8 hours from Wellington- 10+ from other parts of the state as well.

JLC7898
Sep. 6, 2009, 04:35 PM
When are the Regionals held for the other regions? I am very excited to see who makes it to finals!

PoochPaddock
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:51 PM
[QUOTE=florida foxhunter;4355974]OMG, Cate won??? Hurray!!! For those who don't know her, she's a darling girl.

I second that! Couldn't happen to a nicer family. It was very cool to watch them rejoice at the in-gate as the class was pinned. Loved it!

Midge
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:00 PM
True, but Jacksonville is still about 8 hours from Wellington- 10+ from other parts of the state as well.

8 hours from Wellington?? Jacksonville is the halfway point in my 12 hour trip to Welly World. I always wave at the horse show exit and think, 'You are close, but you are cold!'

ponymom2
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:10 PM
Here are the Top 30 out of the 50 that competed in the Maclay Region 3 Championship:

Place Rider
1 BILLINGS, CATHERINE
2 ZULIA, CHELSEY
3 VAN HOUTEN, CAROLYN
4 HENTER, AMBER
5 BOGGIO, CHASE
6 ADAMS, TAYLOR
7 BROWN, TAYLOR
8 SPOGLI, CAROLINE
9 JOHNSON, PAULENA
10 RUMMELL, MAHALA
11 DONOVAN, HASBROUCK
12 HALE, MORGAN
13 BARBOUR, KELSEY
14 KENNEDY, EMMA
15 GRIFFIN, RACHEL
16 BRASWELL, MOLLY
17 HENRY, SALLY
18 MC GEHEE, ASHLEY ANN
19 CASADY, SHAWN
20 STEINHAUS, JAIME
21 MEYER, ISABELLA
22 WARE, CARTER
23 TOWNSEND, RENICK
24 LABARGE, ASHLEY
25 JOHNSON, KATHLEEN
26 PARKER, MARLENA
27 ALEXANDER, NICKI
28 ADER, CAITLIN ??
29 PETRILLI, MICHEL'E
30 COLVIN, VICTORIA

hideyourheart03
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:49 PM
Here is a video of the course. I'm sure she won't mind me posting on here, since she was amazzinggggg.

http://www.facebook.com/bryantsa?v=feed&story_fbid=163677588064#/video/video.php?v=133318826050&ref=nf
(let me know whether or not that works)

Horseshowaddict
Sep. 7, 2009, 06:36 AM
It looks like you need to have facebook to watch it (it made me log in).

Congrats to NC riders Carolyn and Sally! Yay! I watched these kids work hard and make their way up through the rank from local shows on ponies and now to the Maclay finals!

Limerick
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:18 AM
Here is a video of the course. I'm sure she won't mind me posting on here, since she was amazzinggggg.

http://www.facebook.com/bryantsa?v=feed&story_fbid=163677588064#/video/video.php?v=133318826050&ref=nf
(let me know whether or not that works)
That is awesome!!!!! Congrats to the NC riders. :)

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:17 PM
Add Kelsey Barbour to that list. She's from WNC and trains with her mom Nicole Barbour. She had a catch ride on High Rise and this is her first trip to Maclay Regionals. Finished 13th!

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 7, 2009, 02:28 PM
photographer?

dani0303
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:49 PM
photographer?

Flash Point

Flashe
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:19 AM
Yep- that would be us! We had the pleasure of being there again this year to capture the great rounds of these wonderful riders!! A heartfelt "Congrats" to them all on a fine job- and a special "atta girl" to Cate Billings and her whole family for the win!!! I, personally, am so very proud and happy for them all!

We were on the road home all of yesterday/last night, but the proofs are all uploaded for your viewing pleasure! www.flashpointphotography.com

Enjoy,
Flashe

~make it a flashe moment~

shmeg<33
Sep. 9, 2009, 02:35 PM
Are they taking the top 30?

hideyourheart03
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:12 PM
Probably not 30. I'm thinking 25ish, maybe a few less. They took 26 in '07 when there were about 10 more than this year. It all depends on how big the other regions are, but I would say around that number.

Nadonyalife
Sep. 10, 2009, 12:24 PM
In the past few years, Syracuse has only had room to house 150 Maclay finalists. Since the number of entries at regionals changes from year to year, they don't know what percentage they'll take until they see how many competed.

Last year the numbers at regionals were quite a bit bigger than in years past, so they only took the top 40%. But someone in each region usually declines, so by the time finals rolls around, the NHS always ends up taking slightly more than the percentage they originally say they will.

Bottom line: the top 20 are almost certainly safe. Beyond that, you have to wait & see.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 11, 2009, 02:38 PM
Why would Caroline Spogli be riding in this Regional? Is it because she trains with Ken Smith sometimes?

CThorse
Sep. 11, 2009, 05:03 PM
Why would Caroline Spogli be riding in this Regional? Is it because she trains with Ken Smith sometimes?

You have the option to show in your regional or the one where your trainer is located.

Tha Ridge
Sep. 12, 2009, 10:28 PM
You have the option to show in your regional or the one where your trainer is located.

I know, and that's what I was asking, as I knew she had ridden with Ken Smith in the past.

Plumcreek
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:27 PM
I watched the Maclay Regionals in Colorado this morning, and they said that 3-4 would probably be invited. There were about 12-14 (???) in the class. Too busy eating the wonderful Hunt Breakfast to count.

cantercutie
Sep. 12, 2009, 11:31 PM

Caroline rides with Ken and Emily and her horses live with them. She goes to school on the east coast even though she lives in California. Because of this she rode in the SE Regional because it would make no sense to take her horse all the way to California for the class.

shmon
Sep. 13, 2009, 12:35 AM
Plumcreek, do you know what the results were? Horseshowtime doesn't have them up yet.

Mimo
Sep. 13, 2009, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know if Chelsea Zulia is the daughter of Jim Zulia? With such a unique last name, I'm guessing so & the age is right... I trained with Jim ages ago in Illinois...

JET11
Sep. 13, 2009, 08:49 PM
I believe Chelsea is Jim's niece