PDA

View Full Version : Half-Chaps at Schooling Show

Sep. 4, 2009, 10:15 AM
I was wondering if anyone has worn them before in a schooling show?

Last night when I was riding, the zipper on the back of my boot broke :(

Now I have to send them back to Vogel for repair and that could take up to a month, and my first show, which is schooling, is right around that time.

If I dont have the boots back from Vogel by the show, will the judge care if I go with 1/2 chaps or would I have to have someone ask him/her directly? I have the attire to be dressed for everything else, it'll just be the boots that are lacking...if they arent back in time.

Thanks Guys!

Tilly
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:18 AM
I wore them to a schooling show once. I discovered, after twenty minutes of intense pain [ten minutes to get tall boot 1 on, and then ten to get it off], that my boots no longer fit me. However, I had black Ariat Close Contact half-chaps, or something like that, so I just brushed them off really well and they blended into my paddock boots nicely.

The judge didn't care, and no one said anything.

webmistress32
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:26 AM
we went to a dressage schooling show last weekend, one gal was riding in her jogging zip up and jeans with 1/2 chaps and paddock boots.

myself, I wore white breeches/gloves a dk green hunter jacket, white stock and tall black boots. most folks wore black jacket and white breeches and tall boots.

the gal with the jeans didn't get marked down! so I'd say 1/2 chaps will pass no problem. it's up to what you feel comfortable wearing, myself I think jeans is way too dressed down but ... it's a schooling show! :D

piaffequeen
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:34 AM
I've ridden in schooling shows with them and was never marked down. I would just make sure they are the leather type-looks better!

Ambrey
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:36 AM
They are even legal for recognized shows now at training and first, so I can't imagine why you'd have to ask the judge. Smooth leather, though.

SillyHorse
Sep. 4, 2009, 01:01 PM
we went to a dressage schooling show last weekend, one gal was riding in her jogging zip up and jeans with 1/2 chaps and paddock boots.

myself, I wore white breeches/gloves a dk green hunter jacket, white stock and tall black boots. most folks wore black jacket and white breeches and tall boots.

the gal with the jeans didn't get marked down! so I'd say 1/2 chaps will pass no problem. it's up to what you feel comfortable wearing, myself I think jeans is way too dressed down but ... it's a schooling show! :D
Wow -- your schooling shows are a lot more dress-up than our series! Some people wear a coat and stock tie, but most wear a nice shirt with whatever conservative color breeches they want. Our rules (which allow leather or leather-like half chaps that match the boots, and do NOT allow jeans) state that the shirt must be solid color with a collar and sleeves, effectively eliminating the sequined spandex tube tops that people seem to worry will be seen in the ring if dress standards are relaxed.

Tilly
Sep. 4, 2009, 03:32 PM
effectively eliminating the sequined spandex tube tops that people seem to worry will be seen in the ring if dress standards are relaxed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Almost spit my Mountain Dew on the keyboard :winkgrin:

Quest52
Sep. 4, 2009, 03:35 PM
I find that a schooling show is prep for a recognized show. I think if you have tall dress boots at that point, you should ride in them.

Currently, I don't fit into my amazing Conigs. I got stuck in them... bad... cried, so if I were to show in a schooling show I would have to turn to the half chaps I have.

I'm sure everyone realizes its much easier to ride with half chaps than it is tall boots. You have a better fit I think and you can feel a lot more etc.

But why ride at home in half chaps if you have to show in boots? Why not then always ride in boots so you're use to them and can ride well in them??

(this, of course, is coming from someone who also is schooling in half chaps and when I will ride in recognized shows, will have boots... but we're only just broke at this point, so its not an issue)

Just tyring to spur some thought.

Tilly
Sep. 4, 2009, 03:52 PM
Quest, good point. Back when I was still a H/J, I schooled in my half-chaps and paddock boots and only wore my tall boots when showing, or at a clinic. It was murder to try to ride in them because I was used to my grippy, flexible suede half-chaps. My form would suffer simply because I wasn't used to the tall boots.

Now that I've had the calves of my tall boots widened and a zipper put in, I wear them all the time, and as long as I don't have to walk in them, I love them!

meupatdoes
Sep. 6, 2009, 04:10 AM
But why ride at home in half chaps if you have to show in boots? Why not then always ride in boots so you're use to them and can ride well in them??

Because tall boots if made to fit (especially if we are talking Koenigs or Vogels) can cost in the neighborhood of $1,500, and tall boots going on 10-15 rides a week will develop holes rubbed into them much sooner than tall boots that are saved for special occasions.

As someone who 1. has had to patch full chaps, which are much hardier than tall boots, and 2. regularly hacks out on the trails after a school, my tall boots don't come out of the closet unless a judge will be looking at them. I school in jeans and full chaps, lesson in breeches and half chaps, and trot the tall boots out for shows.

Personally, I don't think the tall boots ride that much differently than either the full chaps or the half chaps, so I don't mind the transition.

Bats79
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:47 AM
Because tall boots if made to fit (especially if we are talking Koenigs or Vogels) can cost in the neighborhood of $1,500, and tall boots going on 10-15 rides a week will develop holes rubbed into them much sooner than tall boots that are saved for special occasions.

As someone who 1. has had to patch full chaps, which are much hardier than tall boots, and 2. regularly hacks out on the trails after a school, my tall boots don't come out of the closet unless a judge will be looking at them. I school in jeans and full chaps, lesson in breeches and half chaps, and trot the tall boots out for shows.

Personally, I don't think the tall boots ride that much differently than either the full chaps or the half chaps, so I don't mind the transition.

That's me. The tall boots for competitions and clinics the chapettes (half chaps) for training and a special pair for schooling shows. :)

Koniucha
Sep. 17, 2009, 12:53 PM
I will be riding in a schooling this Sunday and I am not sure what to wear. All I have at the moment is brown suede half chaps and brown paddock boots. Is that okay? It has been many years since I have shown so I am nervous!

Janet
Sep. 17, 2009, 01:02 PM
I will be riding in a schooling this Sunday and I am not sure what to wear. All I have at the moment is brown suede half chaps and brown paddock boots. Is that okay? It has been many years since I have shown so I am nervous!
Well, the rules say "full grain", so the suede half chaps would not be legal at a recognized show. But the paddock boots by them selves (call them "lace up jodhpur boots") would be legal.

Since it is a schooling show, call the organizer or secretary and ask.

Boomer
Sep. 19, 2009, 09:43 AM
The schooling show series that I go to is a "fun show" format, so you can wear what you'd like, ride with music and/or a costume. Each show has a different "theme": country, beach party, etc.

I usually wear tall boots if I have a recognized show coming up, if not then I do half-chaps.

WB Mom
Sep. 20, 2009, 10:21 AM
I rode in mine yesterday for Training and Beg. Novice Combined Test, no worries. However, I do think the chap and boot color should match, they should be smooth leather and CLEAN.

blackhorsegirl
Sep. 20, 2009, 02:01 PM
Showed in a schooling show yesterday and rode in my half chaps. Normally, I wouldn't but a knee injury prevents me from bending my knee is the correct angle to get my tall boots on. I have full leather half chaps with a nice Spanish top and when polished, look like boots. I wore white pants and gloves and a black polo. I received a 68% in a first 4 class and won the class and I know this judge has complained in the past about lack of coats/stock ties. I've been told that she's mellowed with a little time under her belt.