PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship criteria for NCAA equestrian scholarships

OdhinnsMom
Sep. 3, 2009, 08:59 PM
Not for me...I graduated way to long ago :eek:, but I am the sponsor of my high school's equestrian team. I know what I think the general scholarship candidate's riding resume looks like, but would love to have some concrete info to present to parents who ask me. Thanks!

justathought
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:25 PM
Here is probably the best reference you can give parents:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/NCAA/Academics+and+Athletes/Scholarships+and+Internships/Undergraduate+Athletic+Scholarships

Tollriffic
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:30 PM
My packet contained a short resume with academic highlights and equestrian highlights. More importantly though is the DVD. That is what is going to get the coaches attention. My dvd included flatwork including no stirrups and lateral movements on 2 horses, 3 foot or so courses on 2 others and a 3'6" handy hunter on my own horse. If you can find the article Anne Lang wrote for the Chronicle a while back it is very helpful.

OdhinnsMom
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks! I guess I am looking a bit more for what type of background do most of the scholarship winning riders have. Have most of them competed in national level events, like pony finals/medals classes/McClays or had success at the big AA shows?

Tollriffic
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:01 PM
Most have a strong background in the "AA"s. Different schools will look for different things. Some wont look at you if you don't have lots of BigEq mileage but others are willing to take a chance if they think you'll be good for their team. Keep in mind each team is only given 15 full scholarships and generally those are divided between different team members so very few, if any, are on full scholarship.

showmom858
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:47 AM
We have several girls from our barn that have gone on to ride with NCAA teams. One of the girls had a lot of AA experience and competed in regional medals and has a scholarship, but it is not a full one. Another girl who is a freshman from our barn did not have AA experience, but was very successful at 3' and 3'3" on our local very competitive circuit and she was offered some scholarship money at two different schools.

Another girl my DD rides with has submitted her DVD to schools (she is a senior) and she has both local and AA experience up to 3'6" medals. Her DVD includes riding several different horses at our barn over different types of courses from 3' to 3'6". She also included flat work and no stirrups work and a couple of good 3'6" medal rounds on her horse taped at shows.

I am very interested to learn what others have done and how successful they were at getting on a NCAA team with some scholarship money as my DD (hs sophomore) has decided that she wants to try and ride for a NCAA team in college.

SkipChange
Sep. 4, 2009, 02:51 PM
I didn't do the Equestrian team because I wanted to look for a new horse to do jumpers with and you don't have time to ride your own horse if on the team (the coach repeatedly said this). I did go to a summer camp held by Auburn before and I think they like to check out prospective team members this way.

Obviously the video is crucial. They told me they wanted to see a variety of horses schooling and show. My friend said she went over to the Equestrian center and wanted to try out.
The coach said: Do you compete regularly at A shows?
My friend: No, just local stuff
The coach: You can go now, I don't need to see you on a horse.

Auburn's team is pretty selective I think and this particular girl probably wasn't qualified, but they seem to place a pretty high emphasis on having competed at the big A shows and bigeq. Nearly all the hunt seat riders I see getting on the team have competed at the bigeq finals, or at least regionals. During the camp I went to the coaches did say they were willing to take people who hadn't show the big name circuit because they didnt have access to the right horse, IF they could prove themselves in video and tryout. Also, to have any chance of getting on the team they require you to run 1.5 miles in 13 (i think) minutes. Another girl I know that had decent A show experience was out because she couldn't make run time. The team works out 3x a week aside from riding.

ETA: if they have any specific colleges in mind, look up articles from that school about their new recruits. Here is an article about the 5 signed last year at AU, it lists their accomplishments so it could give you a feel of what they want to see on your resume (also note many of them belonged to honor societies) http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/w-equest/spec-rel/121008aaa.html

livinthedream
Sep. 5, 2009, 11:20 PM
I think the IEA in your area is going to be doing a seminar on NCAA vs IHSA scholarships. . .

heartinrye
Sep. 5, 2009, 11:48 PM
I think the IEA in your area is going to be doing a seminar on NCAA vs IHSA scholarships. . .

Well IHSA can't give scholarships and NCAA can... thats the difference

findeight
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:01 AM
Friend's DD is on a full ride NCAA scholarship and, yeah, AA experience including Medal Finals (the National 3'6" ones). Pretty much the same level athlete as you'd find in the other sports, proven experience on the top level available for the age group or grade level.

BUT...she didn't win any of them. Barely made the cut in one, did not in the others. Most of her success was in the Childrens and then Low Junior Jumpers.

So you do not need to be a big name but they are not going to give money to teach you how to get around 3'6"...and they have plenty of lower level applicants.

Some of the smaller schools have numerous programs available for partial scholarships