PDA

View Full Version : Dressage schooling shows - Appearance? Presentation?

Spectrum
Sep. 3, 2009, 05:05 PM
What do you feel is appropriate/suggested dress for a dressage schooling show that also has hunter/jumper classes and group classes?

What level of formality do you expect, for both the rider and the horse?

Spectrum.

bort84
Sep. 3, 2009, 05:18 PM
I feel like this varies a lot from show to show. I'd maybe check with management just to be certain whether or not they usually expect full attire. There are a lot of them where they expect you to be all dressed up = )

So, if dressed up, you could probably still get by with some slightly less traditional colors in your saddle pad, breeches, jacket, etc. And if not dressed up, nice breeches (probably light colored), clean boots (maybe half chaps and paddocks if they look nice), and a nice polo tucked in with a belt?

If you're fully dressed, it might also be good to braid. I don't know. I think the best way to gauge it is to talk to others who've been to the show and talk to show management then adjust accordingly once you're there if you like. I'm sure that wasn't all that helpful, haha, but schooling shows tend to vary a LOT in formality.

dwblover
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:17 PM
I would definitely contact management. I have been at schooling shows where jackets and braiding were required. I have also been at shows where everyone wore black full seats with polos and no one braided.

Carol O
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:54 PM
Correct riding, please. I am so tired of going to schooling shows and seeing bad ride after bad ride. A clean appearance, damn the color of the breeches or coat, but please, good riding, and a correct, supple, round horse.

Brown Horse
Sep. 4, 2009, 03:30 AM
Around here, they usually put what's expected in the prize list / entry form.
And it's usually something like "casual, tidy appearance" and it states whether paddock boots with half chaps are allowed or not. So we'll go with a white pad, tan breeches with belt, white or navy polo, and tall boots. And no braiding.

But, it could be VERY different in other areas.

merrygoround
Sep. 4, 2009, 06:44 PM
Around here, they usually put what's expected in the prize list / entry form.
And it's usually something like "casual, tidy appearance" and it states whether paddock boots with half chaps are allowed or not. So we'll go with a white pad, tan breeches with belt, white or navy polo, and tall boots. And no braiding.

But, it could be VERY different in other areas.

That could very well work, for schooling shows by DVCTA in SE Pa. It may not work in ENYDCTA schooking shows, where pople "turn out" in full dress.

Check with the show secretary for the local norm.

Anselcat
Sep. 5, 2009, 02:36 PM
Spectrum, are you asking what IS appropriate?

Or are you trying to find out what people think SHOULD be appropriate?

Dressage Art
Sep. 5, 2009, 02:46 PM
I expect you to put some work in how your horse looks: clean and trimmed if needed. I expect you to wash your clothes and shine your boots. The way you and your horse looks is the sign of respect to the judge.

Janet
Sep. 5, 2009, 05:32 PM
Check with the show secretary. Schooling shows are all over the place. There are some where you will be overdressed if you wear a shirt with a collar. There are others that go by "the letter of the rules" for attire.

FriesianX
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
I judge probably 6 to 10 schooling shows each year. I very seldom notice what the rider is wearing:lol: What I DO notice - is everything clean and neat? Is the horse in good condition? I also notice when the horse comes in with boots, polos, bell boots, etc, or if they are wearing REALLY bright colors. Beyond that - honestly, it is almost irrelevant.

Some schooling shows have dress rules and requirements. If they don't, my advice is dress clean and neat - light colored breeches (tan, white, light blue, grey, whatever), a polo shirt or similar shirt, and boots or well fitting half-chaps. A HELMET that fits well. If you want to go for fun and matchy-match, do a pad that matches your shirt - and if you show in polo wraps (many schooling shows allow protective leg gear), you can even match those ;) But I don't really notice matchy-match that often. If you are going to be photographed, it can look really nice in the pictures!

Braiding totally optional. Although at a recent schooling show, I did see a horse with a REALLY thick, REALLY long mane, flopping all over - I couldn't even see the horse's eyes his forelock was so long and thick. And I did notice - normally, hair isn't noticed, but I thought ugh, her hands are getting tangled in his mane sometimes. :eek:

EiRide
Sep. 6, 2009, 02:41 PM
I do quite a bit of scribing at schooling shows, plus some years I am competing and some years I am not. :-)

Around here, the two most popular schooling series are both fairly casual. Clean tall boots, britches which are a fairly light color, and a tidy polo shirt are common. I usually just wear my CoolMax white shirt with the collar slightly opened, my white breeches, and my field boots. Actually, I only ever wear field boots--the comfort works for me. :-)

rugbygirl
Sep. 6, 2009, 03:24 PM
At one of our schooling-level shows, because there is Hunter at the same show, the "ring rules" are posted and request jackets and braiding. I usually will compete in both (our Hunter coach is big on making us do Dressage tests), so I wear tan or light grey breeches, Field boots, a show shirt and a darker Hunt coat. Never had a turnout comment yet! 'Course the highest I've ever competed is Training...so it might well be different in levels beyond that.

I've only ever seen one person kicked out of the ring for turnout though, and it wasn't in Dressage. Hunters in a sloppy T-shirt and vest, tattooed sleeves on both arms...gal certainly didn't give the image of conservative OR workmanlike. Booted.

Ltc4h
Sep. 6, 2009, 03:30 PM
Out of respect for the Judges and since we are there to "Show Off" it is called a show afterall.
We are to the 9's, horses and tack spotless, fully dressed, quarter marks on horses, only very rarely do we not braid and in those special circumstances horses manes are pulled and gel applied to lie flat.
I really try to get all of my students to have the same degree of pride and professionalism, and yes lots of times we are the only ones @ that standard and on a few occasions been thanked by the judge for the presentation.
If nothing else it is great practice for the bigger stuff.

blackhorsegirl
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
White pants, black polo, white gloves, shined boots and spurs, helmet that fits, clean tack, polished metal, scrubbed white socks on horse, glowing black coat, knot free flowing tail, pulled and combed mane. Have I left anything out?

Look like your appearance matters.

slc2
Sep. 6, 2009, 10:21 PM
The same as at a regular show.

Movin Artfully
Sep. 7, 2009, 12:26 AM
Correct riding, please. I am so tired of going to schooling shows and seeing bad ride after bad ride. A clean appearance, damn the color of the breeches or coat, but please, good riding, and a correct, supple, round horse.

Right on. But I think you can have your cake and eat it too...correct riding and full dress.

KarenRO
Sep. 7, 2009, 08:34 AM
On a similiar topic, the USDF rules state that one can wear a short jacket, light colored shirt with choker or stock, light colored breeches and half-chaps through First Level. I have never seen anyone wear a shirt with a choker - weren't these called 'ratcatchers' in times past?! For a schooling show, could you wear a shirt with choker without a jacket? I would think that would give a more formal look over a polo shirt. KarenRO

SillyHorse
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:04 AM
On a similiar topic, the USDF rules state that one can wear a short jacket, light colored shirt with choker or stock, light colored breeches and half-chaps through First Level. I have never seen anyone wear a shirt with a choker - weren't these called 'ratcatchers' in times past?! For a schooling show, could you wear a shirt with choker without a jacket? I would think that would give a more formal look over a polo shirt. KarenRO
USEF dressage rules (USDF does not make the rules) prohibit any neckwear when jackets are waived. I realize you are talking about schooling shows where jackets are probably not required in the first place. I would definitely check with show management on this one.

I scribed at a schooling show yesterday, with a large "R" judge. We saw everything from full formal show attire with a braided mane to blue breeches and a polo shirt with no braids. The only comment she made all day regarding turnout was about a horse with what I call a "macrame" mane that was beautifully done. The judge's comment: "That mane is a work of art."

LD1129
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:48 AM
For schooling shows I wear nice full seat breeches in grey or black with a white or black polo (vest if it is colder), hunt cap or helmet, tall boots, belt.

My horse is clean (not braided), show saddle pad, clean tack, clean boots or polos if they are allowed (usually they are in my area for a schooling show).