PDA

View Full Version : best way to mount a series of mirrors

OneFineMess
Sep. 3, 2009, 04:39 PM
I have five mirrors and would like to hang them as one long strip of mirrors, without a frame being in between them lengthwise. What is the best way to frame/mount them only having a frame on the top and bottom edges? I know not to use glue ect already.

Ajierene
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:57 PM
Depending on what kind of surface you are mounting them on - there are clips you can use or a strip.

Here are some examples - they probably do not match your weight criteria, but give you an idea of what you can look for, strong enough to hold the mirrors and just make sure you put them in studs.

(clips, two at the bottom and two on the top)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=197440-405-50439&lpage=none

Strips - bottom and top
http://www.technologylk.com/_J2236BR/CRL-Brass-Plastic-Reflective-1-4-J-Channel-12-ft-Long.html

merrygoround
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
You can using the proper mastic, mount them on plywood carefully screwed to the wall, already having had a carpenter cut you a frame like molding to support the base.

Hanging mirrors is not for wimps.!

Luvthespots
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:23 PM
Ooooh, on a wall. I was wondering why you would want to mount your mirrors. Now I get it! LOL

slc2
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:04 AM
I don't believe it's safe to just use the channel. My suggestion is to have a contractor mount the mirrors, someone who routinely does this. There needs to be a j channel and a plywood backing making up a very sturdy frame and mount, and a cushion between the mirror and plywood or it will rattle and break.

Bogey2
Sep. 5, 2009, 06:35 AM
I just had 2 4x8's put up and I agree with slc, call a local glass place and ask who they use or have them tell you how to do it. It is worth the extra money (which was not all that much)

slc2
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:03 AM
You should consider having something to cover them up with too (not a cloth, but something strong of wood), if your horses get turned loose in your arena. A horse running into or kicking a mirror is a pretty bad thing.

Plantagenet
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:28 AM
we use a plywood wall for stability and channels for alignment. mirrors are not glued to the wall.

the first time we had them glued to the plywood with mastic and they broke over time bec. they were too 'fixed' and had no give to go with changes in temp. etc.

seems to be working better with this system.

btw, we never did it ourselves-though it's been amazingly expensive we were just not experienced enough to try.

slc2
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:56 AM
Is there some cushion between the plywood and mirror? Does the channel run all the way around or just the top and bottom?

Classical DQ
Sep. 6, 2009, 09:16 AM
There are alot of past posts about this. Read all of them and then go to a glass company and talk to them about their recommendations. We have a short side of mirrors, outside, no covered arena. The mirrors are 6ft high by 10ft wide and we have 7 mirrors altogether. Our structure to hold them is VERY sturdy. The structure is made from treated wood. 6x6 supports with plywood backing. The mirrors float with thin medal channels holding them together between each mirror, but nothing else. They have to be loose, but no so much that they will rattle. Ours face away from the way the wind usually blows and away from the sun. We do not have a cover.
There are lots of opinions about frames and mounting, but I still believe your best source are the professionals in your area that have experience mounting arena mirrors.

sid
Sep. 6, 2009, 11:40 AM
Ditto, slc2 on having covers for them. Not long ago a trainer told me of a horse was loose in the indoor (not sure if it was being free lunged or if the rider came off) and the horse tried to jump through the mirror. Broke its neck..:no:.

When I installed mine, I had plywood covers constructed that hang on hinges at the bottom of each mirror that I can swing up and fasten with small deadbolts. They cover about 3/4 of the mirror -- enough so that a horse cannot really see its own face.

This is particulary handy when doing free work, using the indoor as turnout in winter weather (ice, in my case).

On a few occasions, when hosting clinics, I've had to put them up when the rider couldn't control the horse and it was reacting aggressively when it went by the mirrors. Sure the horse needed to get used to them, but not at my expense when they would try to kick the reflection in the mirror.

slc2
Sep. 6, 2009, 12:40 PM
I rode at one place where the horses were constantly churning up big chunks of that glass in the footing, because they had no mirror covers and the stallions attacked the mirrors.

egontoast
Sep. 6, 2009, 03:40 PM
They had nifty covers at one place I boarded. They were on tracks with rollers so they were easy to open and close. Only problem with that is you have to have room for the doors when they were open so you couldn't do a whole end in mirrors, for example.

The rule there was no freelungeing or loose horses in there unless the covers were on.

I've priced but still have not installed my mirrors . I would like to have the wooden covers on tracks ($$) but thinking maybe heavy material curtains could work as long as the bottoms were tucked behind the kickboards. If there were heavy curtains and a kick did happen to go that high (although I've never had a horse kick above the kickboards -it's possible) if the mirror broke the pieces would fall behind the kickboards.

Don't know if anyone has done it this way, just musing outloud. I think the main thing is to cover them so a horse is not inclined to kick or attack the image when loose. I'm looking for a more economical way to have covers because that has added quite a bit to the quote.

I rode at one place where the horses were constantly churning up big chunks of that glass in the footing

I really can't imagine boarding at a place like that. It's about like turning your horse out in a paddock with broken bottles.

sid
Sep. 6, 2009, 06:33 PM
Egontoast, PM with your email address if you want and I'll take a few snapshots of my covers. They look very nice and were not inexpensive at all or difficult use.

egontoast
Sep. 6, 2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks. will do that,sid.

I need to clean out my inbox and make some room!

Plantagenet
Sep. 6, 2009, 06:43 PM
Classic DQ did a much better job than I explaining how our mirrors are mounted. It's been working for us with mirrors perpendicular to the wind.

Carol O
Sep. 7, 2009, 09:40 AM
Another vote for outdoor mirrors needing covers. One of mine was taken out by a large bird. Neither the mirror or the bird survived.

nuts4cowboybutts
Sep. 7, 2009, 04:19 PM
There are unbreakable mirrors made of acrylic that are often used in daycare, dance studios and in stables.

The unbreakable mirrors will not shatter if hit or kicked so they are safe in that respect.

Classical DQ
Sep. 8, 2009, 08:53 AM
The issue with unbreakable mirrors is that they are not as clear. The view is more distorted. Even with regular mirrors you have to be very particular. There should not be waves in the mirrors that make it look like fun house mirrors! Stand back from the first two mirrors when they are hung. If there is a ripple at the same distance apart, the mirrors are defective.
The acrylic mirrors can be less expensive and lighter weight, but for the price of building a proper frame, why not go for the best viewing!!