PDA

View Full Version : Game Ready Equine systems

Lkramer
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
Have any of you used them? I would like to use it on the horses at shows and after long hauls so they don't get stocked up. There is one for sale on Ebay right now for a steal, but just wondering if they are worth the money?

SaturdayNightLive
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:27 PM
I LOVE Game Ready! My old barn had one and it was AMAZING! Totally worth the money.

MHM
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:44 PM
I like them. They're not hard to use, and some horses really benefit from them.

akhunterrider
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:56 PM
They are a great investment.

klmck63
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:57 PM
I have borrowed one on several occasions. I've used them at shows and after heavy jump schools. My horses seem to really enjoy it (they stand there half asleep with their lips all droopy) but I'm not sure how beneficial they actually are.

I think that they probably help make them feel better but I wouldn't say that they replace poulticing and wrapping. I prefer to use them on occasions where I don't feel like wrapping is necessary but maybe want to 'take the edge off' a little bit.

On a side note, you have to be careful, they break easily if you aren't. The one I borrowed broke and the company eventually replaced it completely but it was a very, very big hassle in the meantime. The customer service is only ok.

mjrtango93
Sep. 3, 2009, 04:07 PM
My trainer has one. We are an event barn so use it for icing after cross country, pretty much any injury needing to be iced, as well as for the conditioning horses after long trot or gallop sets. It is way easier to use then ice boots, the compression really does stimulate the leg and increase blood flow, while reducing any inflammation. Not to mention it does all that and it only takes one 7 pound bag of ice for 2 treatments. Love the thing! On top of all that the horses tolerate it much better then traditional ice boots, and it stays colder because of the pump system.

Ruby G. Weber
Sep. 3, 2009, 05:50 PM
Due to the compression it is a far better therapy than ice alone. (We have a client who is a orthopedic surgeon/sports med doc who says the compression is as important as the cold.) I agree with the poster who said the horses seem to like it. Mine appear mighty relaxed when being treated. I use it along with poultice and bandaging.

Beware though as the machine IS sensitive. Follow care direction to the letter.

WorthTheWait95
Sep. 3, 2009, 06:08 PM
I own one and while I do love it and don't regret buying it the machine is very high maintenance. I constantly have to retape where the boots attach to the hose b/c it gets kinked and results in a low flow. Also it's hard to manage the hoses and I've had to come up with some pretty inventive lead rope configurations around the barrel to keep it in place. I also don't like that I can only get it down to about 38 degrees at the very coldest..that's with adding ice continually as it melts. I've owned it for prob 3-ish(?) years now and I've had to send it away 4 times to be repaired.

There is a new unit on the market I'm eyeing that is self contained (no more remembering to buy ice!!) and can get much, much colder then the game ready. It's about $7K but it seems to be worth every penny. I saw it at FarmVet last time I showed at KHP and I think it might be my next big purchase.

Gry2Yng
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:20 PM
The Game Ready system rocks! I have an older OTTB who has had a few battles with cellulitis. We use the GR on him a few times a week to keep the fluid moving in his legs. I also used it right after an acute trauma to his knee - grade V, thought the leg was broken at 9am. AFter we determined it wasn't a fracture we put him in the GR through out the day. By 8pm we were able to get his bell boots off. I believe the intense cold/compression is responsible for the quick and complete recovery.

PP's have mentioned the drawbacks, which I agree with. Benefits out way the PITA. Should mention, we have two in the barn. Both were purchased from eBay. I have sent mine in for an annual service and I replace the hoses every year. They have improved the velcro on the boots, which I have also replaced once.

toomanyponies
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:30 PM
I was just speaking with our vet about it the other day. He is a big supporter for soft tissue injuries/rehab. Says the compression aspect is key, because it makes the cold get 'good contact'.

Revolution
Sep. 4, 2009, 12:39 PM
I love mine. Have had it for 3 years and have had no problems. Never had to replace anything or get anything fixed and use it every day at shows for atleast 2 horses. I then poltice and wrap. The pressure is better than the cold because it gets rid of the build up of lactic acid after heavy work that creates swelling. It cannot go colder than a certain temperature (0 degrees celcius so about 38 degrees) because any colder than that can cause injuries (It can burn and cause tissue damage therefore MUCH safer than cold hosing). It also speeds up recovery time from an injury.

Definately worth the money.

Gry2Yng
Sep. 4, 2009, 03:44 PM
I love mine. Have had it for 3 years and have had no problems. Never had to replace anything or get anything fixed and use it every day at shows for atleast 2 horses. I then poltice and wrap. The pressure is better than the cold because it gets rid of the build up of lactic acid after heavy work that creates swelling. It cannot go colder than a certain temperature (0 degrees celcius so about 38 degrees) because any colder than that can cause injuries (It can burn and cause tissue damage therefore MUCH safer than cold hosing). It also speeds up recovery time from an injury.

Definately worth the money.

Lactic acid does not build up in the legs. It builds up in the muscle. Heavy work should not create swelling in the legs.

The lymphatic system is what is responding to the compression of the Game Ready when you are talking about a "build up" of fluid due to proteins. In addition, compression is useful in any traumatic injury to reduce the amount of edema that occurs. See following link for info on lymphatic system.

http://www.equinemld.com/system.html

RyuEquestrian
Sep. 4, 2009, 05:24 PM
We have one that we've used on Suspensory injuries in the past.... love it! I think that they cut one of my mare's recovery time in half and there has been no re-injury in any of the cases... expensive, but a great investment, even when used as a precautionary measure.