PDA

View Full Version : Tight back end

Mr.GMan
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:17 PM
My gelding hasn't had a whole lot of work in the past couple of months. I recently broke (rather horse did) one of my ribs, so I can't ride. My trainer got on him and he seemed short strided and tight, not to mention when asked to move out, he was somewhat uncooperative. He isn't lame, at least outwardly. He has been barefoot behind for 2 months now and I haven't ruled that out as part of his problem. I know sore feet can translate into almost sore everything. He is also due for the saddle fitter to come check the saddle as he has put on some weight/muscle in places he didn't have before the first fitting in March. So given those things check out... any exercises that could benefit his back and help him to relax (on the ground as I can't ride for another 2 weeks). I thought of having some poles on the ground, and I already do some "natural horsey" groundwork with him. What can I add to mix it up? Thank you in advance :-)

Eclectic Horseman
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:25 PM
I would not do much with your horse when he is "tight" like you describe. This could lead to injury or training issues.

One place to start would be with a good equine massage therapist who should be able to find the source of the problem if it is soft tissue.

Bogey2
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:42 PM
I agree with EH. We had a horse here who was as you described...we treated with saddle fitter, massage and injections before we did the work to get the strength back.

Mr.GMan
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:53 PM
I forgot about the massage. Thank you for the reminder to call her :-). I guess I haven't ridden this long, what's another several weeks or more?

WBLover
Sep. 3, 2009, 04:16 PM
Massage and/or chiro. My horse was very tight behind in one leg worse than the other, turns out his pelvis was out of alignment. Although, he did have a specific reason for it, he had taken a fall in the barn a few weeks before. He had walked off sound and without any apparent injuries, but it became obvious that something was NQR when I was riding him.

He's been adjusted and the difference is like night and day.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 3, 2009, 04:44 PM
Inquiries into a pain-related issues should always start with a vet. No decent chiro will work on your horse without a vet's consent. Massage is less invasive, but why waste money on it if it could be something in his foot...

slc2
Sep. 3, 2009, 04:57 PM
Back where I came from 'tight behind' meant 'lame'.