PDA

View Full Version : Smartpak Harwich Bridle - Oiling?

Sparky Boy
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:12 PM
Want to find out how much darker it gets after oiling? I like the look but the color seems a little light for my bay.
Thanks. :)

Roney
Sep. 3, 2009, 04:23 PM
A friend of mine has one - it's nice leather, so it gets a lot darker after a few coats of oil - I think it would look good even on a pretty dark bay.

Sparky Boy
Sep. 5, 2009, 08:54 AM
I've ordered the bridle. I'm hoping it works for us.

plain bay
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:56 PM
I have the Harwich fancy stitched bridle and I do like it a lot for the price, but I'm having a helluva time getting it to take oil and darken up. Even using Hydrophane's darkening oil hasn't helped and normally that works with one, sometimes two coats...

Sparky Boy
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:26 PM
Bridle arrived today. I'm very pleased with it. Very nice quality for the money.

I do need it to be darker though. Any suggestions on what I should use if the Hydrophane Darkening Oil isn't working?

SkipChange
Sep. 9, 2009, 09:47 PM
Make sure you clean it first? I'm not much help but if there is any kind of protective coating on it you need to make sure and clean it first so it can absorb the oil. You can always try olive oil. I think someone said it might be bad for stitching? I don't know, I've never had any problem with it. Might turn it into a tasty treat for a mouse though, hope your tack is stored somewhere safe! :)