PDA

View Full Version : Identity Crisis - which show name?

TrakeGirl
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:19 PM
Showing for the first time this weekend (after a few years off). Under a new trainer...really a whole new world has opened before us and I feel like we are starting fresh. Haven't really shown much before - just maybe 4-5 times in the 7 years I've owned him - so not like any particular name has already been associated with him. Need to choose a show name for here on forward.

Horse is a 17hh Trakehner gelding, seal bay, 4 whites and off center star, stripe and snip. Showing in 2'6 hunters.

Okay...here are the options.

Fiore's Pillion (registered name - never shown under this)

Ariston (Story: My first horse's reg. name was Up for Breakfast...idea was Ariston means "breakfast" in Greek to keep the theme going...shown once or twice as this.)

Show of Hands (SO came up with this name after years of vets, etc got him through EPM...also b/c he's 17hh. Shown twice as this.)

Lincoln Park (just a show name I've always liked - could be the start of a new chapter.)

Come Shine
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:25 PM
I like Ariston. Have fun at the show!

Jo
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:26 PM
LOL - I vote you go for Identity Crisis! :)

TrakeGirl
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:39 PM

Oh that is hilarious! Didn't even cross my mind. But so fitting!!! We'll add that as a strong possibility to the list...

rabicon
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:55 PM
I like Identity Crisis also :yes:

joiedevie99
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:12 PM
I really prefer to show horses under their registered names unless they are ridiculous, so I would go with that. Its respectful to the breeder (especially if there is some sort of prefix or identifier).

JWB
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:14 PM
I'm a huge fan of using the registered name unless it's completely AWFUL (Prom Dress, Half Hearted, Ho Boy)

That said I love Identity Crisis and vote for that since you've already used a few different names for him.

We had an unregistered WB cross that my sister came up with LISTS of names for but since she kept on changing her mind and the trainer was the one who always did the entry forms, he just kept going out as Spenser (barn name) and after a year of showing that way, it stuck.

PinkPonies
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:16 PM

That's so funny, I thought the same thing when I read the heading. Another vote for Identity Crisis, LOL!!

TrakeGirl
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:39 PM
I really prefer to show horses under their registered names unless they are ridiculous, so I would go with that. Its respectful to the breeder (especially if there is some sort of prefix or identifier).

The breeder actually attends the shows I've been to and was a judge at one of them! LOL. So she knows I don't show him as his registered name - but then again, neither did she when she showed him in hunter breeding! He was just "Pillion" then...which was his barn name...which also incidently got changed immediately by my trainer when I got him.

So...perhaps indeed...Identity Crisis seems fitting!

AND considering the show nerves I have right now - and that is the only thing that has made me smile all day...I'm going to go with it!! Off to order the brass name plate! LOL! :)

Hunter Mom
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:45 PM

That was my thought, too! I love it!

Mara
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:51 PM
Well, I'm the only one so far to go for "Show of Hands". . .but I am a Rush fan (the band, not the radio guy). It's the name of one of their albums (well, actually, it's A Show Of Hands, but you get the point).

JWB
Sep. 3, 2009, 04:22 PM
Well, I'm the only one so far to go for "Show of Hands". . .but I am a Rush fan (the band, not the radio guy). It's the name of one of their albums (well, actually, it's A Show Of Hands, but you get the point).

Hahaha - I actually held off breeding this year since this is the "K" year and I'm waiting till next year "L" since I want to name a foal Limelight so badly!

Quin
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:14 PM
I'd vote for Identity Crisis or Show of Hands.

Re the registered name: How many ways do you figure an announcer could mis-pronounce it? Yeah.......not a great choice. Unless you really want to show as "Firey Pill.....uh.....um"

Zu Zu
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:14 PM
IDENTITY CRISIS ~~ is soo cool !!!! :cool:

superpony123
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:18 PM
I like identity crisis :D ariston is okay too.:D

gottagrey
Sep. 4, 2009, 12:11 AM
Ha ha - when I saw the beginning of the thread, I thought why not call him Identity Crisis - even before I saw how many others felt the same

great minds think alike !

Serah
Sep. 4, 2009, 12:40 AM
I thought "show of hands" was really clever, especially cause he's tall.. Identity Crisis seems negative to me... its like naming a horse Personality Disorder or something, I dunno... JMHO

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 4, 2009, 08:35 AM
Show of Hands

Scott Free
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:51 AM

Oh please. Respectful to the breeder? Give me a break. And unless this is a breed show, where a zealous effort to "respect the breeder" has produced delightful names like "Zippo Pine Lady's Little Tramp Whooza Humpin' Wanderin' Bo-Jack Surprise", go with a name you like that fits the horse. That said, I actually like the name Pillion. Works better without the Fiore.

NeverEnd
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:58 AM
My vote is on "Show of Hands" -- wish I had thought of that one!

Zu Zu
Sep. 6, 2009, 08:28 PM
How was your horse show ????? and which name did you use???????

shadytrake
Sep. 7, 2009, 03:14 PM
If you have papers on your TK and he is registered, you can submit the show results to the American Trakehner Association.

Here is the link. We always like to know how the TKs are doing. :) Hope your show went well.

http://www.americantrakehner.com/Results/PerfResults.asp

TrakeGirl
Sep. 8, 2009, 02:14 PM
Had written "Identity Crisis" on my registration form and erased it last second and went back to "Show of Hands" in a fit of panic.

LOL.

We had a great time - while we didn't pin over fences...we both learned a LOT. It was only his 5th show and he's not had to do the strides very often (and if I have a choice, I prefer the ads!) - so it was a wake up for both of us to fly around that course and get the strides. Of course, we did SO much better when I finally relaxed and stepped on the gas - but it took a little while to get to that point.

Come Shine
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:30 PM
As someone who used to help put on shows, I must say I am very relieved that there won't be a "Crisis" coming out of the loudspeakers. Show of Hands is lovely! All the best at your shows.

FolsomBlues
Sep. 8, 2009, 04:37 PM
While "Show of Hands" is nice, I really liked Scott Free's example, "Zippo Pine Lady's Little Tramp Whooza Humpin' Wanderin' Bo-Jack Surprise". :lol: