PDA

View Full Version : Does a bridle like this even exist???

yellowbritches
Sep. 3, 2009, 12:45 PM
I am looking to get my event horse his very own, grown up dressage bridle. I am having a heck of time finding what I'd like, though! In a perfect world, it would be an all black bridle with some padding, PLAIN cavesson WITHOUT a crank. He's a TB that is kinda in between horse and cob size, and because he's not very big, I can't get him a really thick, clunky noseband that looks good on great big WB types. And, I'd really like to not spend a ridiculous sum of money on it (under $200). I have found a nice looking plain black, plain cavesson bridle at Bit of Britain...but it has a crank. And Bobby's has a couple of black, plain cavesson bridles, but they are either just kinda cheap looking, or have funky colored padding.

Am I searching for the Holy Grail???

dbadaro
Sep. 3, 2009, 12:49 PM
try the website justbridles.com

you can mix and match any piece on there.

good luck!

johnnysauntie
Sep. 3, 2009, 12:49 PM
ha ha! I feel you. My TB's bridle is a mashup of cob and horse parts. I bought the bridle and components from Eqtack.com (all are Bobby's.) I did have to use a horse-sized cavesson because the cob size was too small. However, my local tack shop was able to move the buckle on the cavesson, effectively decreasing the diameter, for $30. So I have a modified cavesson, cob sized flash, cob sized cheek pieces, horse size browband and headstall (cob sized throatlatch was too small.) It was a bit of a process but everything now fits and looks good. :yes:

ETA here's a picture (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3464/3763705621_1d0b87781c.jpg) of himself wearing the finished product, however, everything is a bit loose b/c we just threw the bridle back on him to get a pic of him with is first rated-show ribbon.

Oh, and, I should add, the bridle originally came with the most hideola browband you ever did see, it had a corny snaffle bit detail that looked like some stupid Gucci rip off. Cheap and tacky! I ditched that immediately for the clincher. The rest of the bridle was pretty nice and looks good - but I did have to work to get past the awful browband that came with it.

ania
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:09 PM
for reference, if you end up getting one, i got a bobbys 2yrs ago for a tb i was riding and the horse size fit him. i think smallest holes for most of the straps, but it looked nice. it was a crank w/flash, and i know you're not looking for that- but the actual noseband isn't too big and clunky.

meupatdoes
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:10 PM
If you find a bridle that you like in your price range with a crank... nobody ever said you have to put it on any tighter than a regular nose band.

I found the prettiest, most elegant rolled bridle for my TB that was on sale for $250 (marked down from $700). It has a crank, which my horse in no way needs, that I just do up very gently.

Leaving him both happy and stylish.
:)

ETA
My other horse goes in a dressage bridle that was purchased for him by my friend (who owns the other half of him.) It has a slightly blingy browband, is delicate enough for his very refined face, and does not have a crank. I don't think it was expensive. The leather is perfectly nice but not super fancy. I can not for the life of me remember the brand but I will check today.

Saskatoonian
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:31 PM
I got one from KL Select and it is lovely. Might be a little more than you wanted to spend, but it had reins. I have to say I've never been impressed with Bobby's or Nunn Finer.

TheHorseProblem
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:39 PM
SmartPak Harwich or Plymouth. Both under $100 and no crank.

yellowbritches
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:25 PM
SmartPak Harwich or Plymouth. Both under $100 and no crank.
Both have flashes, though...I would do a crank before a flash (because, like meupatdoes said, I don't HAVE to crank it). I don't like cranks in general, because they are fidgety and clunky looking. I am all for snug nosebands, I just can't figure out why you'd ever need to REALLY crank it! I guess I could always do what I just did to his current bridle and have the flash loop removed, but if I can actually find what I'd like, it'd be nice.

I'll check out justbridles.com. He's not a hard fit, it just depends on the brand. His current bridle and show halter are both cobs, but I know he'd never in a million years fit into a cob size in Bobby's or a BoB brand (both run so ridiculously tiny!!). Bobby's horse, no problem, though (we have lots of Bobby's bridles around the barn, so I'm pretty familiar with the quality and fit).

Thanks for the ideas!

royal militron
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:27 PM
Jerry's Bridles has what you want.
www.jerrysharnessshop.com

yellowbritches
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:52 PM
Jerry's Bridles has what you want.
www.jerrysharnessshop.com (http://www.jerrysharnessshop.com)
Lovely, but WAY out of my price range!!!!

justbridles.com looks like it might work. Cool site!

LD1129
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:54 PM
Although not in your price range I bought the Passier Cologne (I think thats the model) and I love it. No crank, some padding not too bulky. My horse have a very refined head and looks horrible in a bridle that has a big nose/brow band.

mjhco
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:02 PM
Try sstack.com. They have a lot of 'Arabian' sized bridles. So they are cobbish sized but with longer browbands, throatlatches, etc. Worth a call to them.

farriersgirl
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:33 PM
http://www.doversaddlery.com/crown-padded-flash-bridle/p/X1-12698/cn/81/

I bought this at Dover earlier this year, a great bridle for the money, comes with web/rubber reins (that's worth $40 right there!). Padding was not too large, fit true to size on WB I was fitting it to. also available in a clincher style

CatchMeIfUCan
Sep. 3, 2009, 06:27 PM
http://www.courbette.com/catalog/accessories/bridles/bridlespage7.html

I have this model for my 15.2 TB. He fits into the horse size but I needed to punch more holes on the noseband (and flash but you can get it as just a snaffle bridle). The square raised caveson looks really nice on him and its not too thick. You can find some good deals on Courbette bridles, and they last for forever! I have had my bridle in daily use for 6 years, and it looks fabulous! I got one in brown for $175 from VTO Saddlery. Here is the link to their sale: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=VTO&Product_Code=CBB0&Category_Code=

Here is him in it (he has the flash version):

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=30014683&id=1153950040

Equibrit
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:53 PM
I always fancied one of these, http://www.foxhuntingshop.com/catalog/product364.html?__utma=1.1969857539.1252018258.125 2018258.1252018258.1&__utmb=1&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1252018258.1.1.utmccn%3D(organic)%7Cutmcs r%3Dgoogle%7Cutmctr%3Dfoxhunting%2Bshop%7Cutmcmd%3 Dorganic&__utmv=-&__utmk=121388809 $189.95

MountainGirl7
Sep. 3, 2009, 08:11 PM
Second the Dover bridles - I have one of theirs (not certain which model) but was very pleased with the craftsmanship and the sizing. The price is reasonable as well.

Best of luck!

camohn
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/FSS-German-COMFORT-Poll-Dressage-Snaffle-BRIDLE-BLK-COB_W0QQitemZ270316932051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hor se_Wear_Equipment?hash=item3ef0250bd3&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262
This Ebay seller is in GB...they are slow to ship but I have 2 of these bridles (in cob and horse size) and I can say that these FSS padded bridles are nice quality for the price. Ya just have to wait a while for it to arrive.
The cob size fits the 15H TB with a small head, the 15H Walker with a really narrow head and the 15.3H Paint with a tiny dishy head a la Arab. The horse size one fits the horses with a normal "horse" size head (15.1 to 16.1H critters).

TheHorseProblem
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:22 PM
I always fancied one of these, http://www.foxhuntingshop.com/catalog/product364.html?__utma=1.1969857539.1252018258.125 2018258.1252018258.1&__utmb=1&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1252018258.1.1.utmccn%3D(organic)%7Cutmcs r%3Dgoogle%7Cutmctr%3Dfoxhunting%2Bshop%7Cutmcmd%3 Dorganic&__utmv=-&__utmk=121388809 $189.95

*drool*

Rival
Sep. 3, 2009, 11:09 PM
I got a really nice Vespucci bridle for $129.00 (canadian). It has the padded crown and noseband but is very fine. It does have a flash though.

MSE
Sep. 4, 2009, 01:31 AM
Check this one out. It's a weymouth, but it's easy enough to just take the bridoon hanger off.
http://www.somersetsaddlery.com/m7_view_item.html?m7:item=940DB

cmdrcltr
Sep. 4, 2009, 07:04 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/FSS-German-COMFORT-Poll-Dressage-Snaffle-BRIDLE-BLK-COB_W0QQitemZ270316932051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Hor se_Wear_Equipment?hash=item3ef0250bd3&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262
This Ebay seller is in GB...they are slow to ship but I have 2 of these bridles (in cob and horse size) and I can say that these FSS padded bridles are nice quality for the price. Ya just have to wait a while for it to arrive.
The cob size fits the 15H TB with a small head, the 15H Walker with a really narrow head and the 15.3H Paint with a tiny dishy head a la Arab. The horse size one fits the horses with a normal "horse" size head (15.1 to 16.1H critters).

I also have two bridles from this seller; one is a Heritage and one a FSS (really no difference between the two brands). I love them! They do have a crank, but for my horse they aren't really cranked, even on the smallest hole. While I had no problem with shipping (both arrived within 2 weeks), I find that they run a bit large compared to other brands. The cob size fits my Saddlebred well; the cheekpieces are on the second or third hole from the smallest, but the caveson is on the smallest hole everywhere. For the price--around $100 including shipping from GB--they are great bridles.

camohn
Sep. 4, 2009, 08:18 AM
I also have two bridles from this seller; one is a Heritage and one a FSS (really no difference between the two brands). I love them! They do have a crank, but for my horse they aren't really cranked, even on the smallest hole. While I had no problem with shipping (both arrived within 2 weeks), I find that they run a bit large compared to other brands. The cob size fits my Saddlebred well; the cheekpieces are on the second or third hole from the smallest, but the caveson is on the smallest hole everywhere. For the price--around $100 including shipping from GB--they are great bridles.

Mine took about 4 weeks to arrive.....I ordered at separate times and both took about that. I have also ordered the crystal browbands from them and they were also very nice quality at a reasonable price, FWIW.

stecia
Sep. 4, 2009, 11:37 PM
Bartville Harness Shop in Christiana PA has a simple black padded bridle w/o flash, cob size is $89.30 and horse size $91.85. Nice quality, quick delivery. The owner, Levi Stoltzfus, has no website but he answers phone messages within 24 hours and will get a catalog to you asap. Lovely tack made in USA. 717-529-6992

yellowbritches
Sep. 5, 2009, 02:46 PM
Bartville Harness Shop in Christiana PA has a simple black padded bridle w/o flash, cob size is $89.30 and horse size $91.85. Nice quality, quick delivery. The owner, Levi Stoltzfus, has no website but he answers phone messages within 24 hours and will get a catalog to you asap. Lovely tack made in USA. 717-529-6992
A friend of mine who lives up there was supposed to go shop for me there and hasn't yet. No biggie, though, as I think I've found what I need, and for less money.

everyequine
Sep. 5, 2009, 04:00 PM
I just read that you might have found what you are looking for.... but if it's not right... I used a black square raised bridle from Courbette. It was on closeout from Stateline. I also have seen English made black bridles in Libertyville saddlery. I don't use a flash or crank. I ride a paint with an in-between head too. not cob not horse... I guess he's a "corse" ;)