PDA

View Full Version : Lendon Gray Spinoff: Dressage4Adults?

quietann
Sep. 3, 2009, 11:47 AM
So I went to look at Lendon Gray's website, and found the Youth Dressage Festival (http://www.youthdressagefestival.com/). Maybe it's just that I'm an overgrown kid myself, but d**n that sounds like fun! Dressage trail classes! Prix Caprilli with little jumps incorporated into the pattern! Workshops on horse care! Practice the FEI jog! I wish someone did an event like that for grownups...

**Maresy has a little cartoon on her stable door that says "She'll never grow up!" and I don't know if the person who put it up meant me, who is 45 but gets taken for 30 pretty regularly, or maresy, who is 11 but acts like a 5 year old...

swgarasu
Sep. 3, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm pretty sure some shows offer Prix Caprelli classes for adults too.
Also there's hunter hack classes, and eventing (obviously).

Ibex
Sep. 3, 2009, 12:36 PM
They do a local version of that up here - it's really fantastic!

poltroon
Sep. 3, 2009, 12:37 PM
I love the programs that Lendon has put together. I'm so sad that she's on the other end of the country from me!

Lendon Gray
Sep. 3, 2009, 08:12 PM
I agree with you totally. The format of the Youth Dressage Festival should be used for adults. An abbreviated version has been tried. I hear that many adults don't want to take the written and some are concerned about doing the group equitation. I have run a version as a schooling show for my in house clients -- not much work and lots of fun for them.

Soooooo.........just do it! I assure you that I am available to answer questions. And I guarantee that each committee chair would be happy to give advice.

Such a competition could be as elaborate or as simple as the people doing it want. Plus many of the components could be done separately or over a period of time. It might be a fun winter project for a group of you to do.

Good luck!

blackhorsegirl
Sep. 3, 2009, 08:41 PM
Lendon,

Would this be just for the adult amateur?

Lendon Gray
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:03 PM
It could be for whomever the organizer wants. Pros, adult amateurs, kids, mixed teams. How about bonus points: written test for horse husbands; or a trailer backing contest; or.....
Lendon

tempichange
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:13 PM
It could be for whomever the organizer wants. Pros, adult amateurs, kids, mixed teams. How about bonus points: written test for horse husbands; or a trailer backing contest; or.....
Lendon

my vote goes to a stall cleaning contest. Whoever cleans the stalls the fastest/most thoroughly wins. Time penalties added for every bit of manure over quarter sized piece found.

cmdrcltr
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
Ooooooooo! I vote for the trailer backing contest. After twenty-two years of driving a bumper pull I've finally perfected the back up!:lol:

Daydream Believer
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:45 PM
Ooooooooo! I vote for the trailer backing contest. After twenty-two years of driving a bumper pull I've finally perfected the back up!:lol:

No no! That's too easy. You need to try to back up a 28 foot gooseneck! I remember backing a bumper pull with nostalgia! ;):lol:

I did some Prix Caprilli classes a long long time ago at Potomac Horse Center...gosh...those were the days! :D

DQonaDraft
Sep. 4, 2009, 10:35 AM
IMHO, this is what is lacking today for most adult ammie dressage riders in the US. We need to have more programs like this for adults.

I just hosted a 4 day clinic with Sherry Ackerman that was much more like an intensive dressage retreat...each day started with group yoga/meditation, then proceeded to theory lectures on the the seat and aids, then group lessons and ended with another evening lecture. Each participant had a workbook that was jammed packed with information, diagrams, personal reflection/journaling. It was great and so many people said that this was what they had been missing in their dressage training. We got immersed in dressage for 10 hours a day, including riding and classroom lectures.

I could definitely see this format being expanded to include other things.

Daydream Believer
Sep. 4, 2009, 11:03 AM
IMHO, this is what is lacking today for most adult ammie dressage riders in the US. We need to have more programs like this for adults.

I just hosted a 4 day clinic with Sherry Ackerman that was much more like an intensive dressage retreat...each day started with group yoga/meditation, then proceeded to theory lectures on the the seat and aids, then group lessons and ended with another evening lecture. Each participant had a workbook that was jammed packed with information, diagrams, personal reflection/journaling. It was great and so many people said that this was what they had been missing in their dressage training. We got immersed in dressage for 10 hours a day, including riding and classroom lectures.

I could definitely see this format being expanded to include other things.

That sounds like a wonderful idea. How does one put on such a thing? I have the facility to do it...I wonder what it would take? How big a group was it?

Cervalo
Sep. 4, 2009, 11:36 AM
I'm in...where do I sign!

DQonaDraft
Sep. 4, 2009, 11:50 AM
Daydream...First, you need a stellar instructor that can not only teach the riding part, but also can really teach the theory stuff. Feel free to PM me and I can share all of the logistics with you. It was like a mini-camp for dressage riders.

We had 8 riders and 7 auditors. We called them non-riding participants because they were fulled involved with all activities, just not riding.

With something this intense and with only one clinician, I wouldn't want to do this format with more than 12 riders and 10-15 non riders. We started at 8:30am and finished after 7pm most days. However, if you had multiple instructors and space, you could accomodate more participants.

trainingtree
Sep. 4, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have seen schooling shows add Prix Caprilli, Suitability and Equitation both Walk-trot and Walk-Trot-canter. They are a lot of fun. A local barn even hosted a very informal "mini-event" for dressage riders. You could go over the real jump or a pole and got more points the harder the obstacle or had the shortest time, so it appealed to everyone. It was fun.
It would HELP considerably if beginning adult riders received a more thorough basic education in horsemanship and handling. I have never seen so many adult riders so afraid to canter in my life! It is really sad- their fear issues spiral and yet they still go buy an unsuitable horse... I wonder if because they are adults, instructors feel it is "an insult to them" to spend more time ensuring the adult student is confident and has a secure seat, and spending time on the lunge? At least in the area I live in I see this. There is also very little education out here, which does not help.

bkkone
Sep. 4, 2009, 02:58 PM
I had Sherry Ackerman here in July and she was just amazing! We are having her back in Langley, BC in November for two days. I loved the mind//body connection, workbook and community feel that was fostered! Unlike other clinics I have audited/rode in, which were glorified riding lessons, Sherry's format is a supportive intensive with all the riders and non-riders participating in the lecture, yoga sessions and reflections on the riding sessions. The changes in my riding and my mare's performance have been pretty profound! I can't wait to have her back!!

DQonaDraft
Sep. 4, 2009, 04:02 PM
Yes, I think the format that Sherry uses really works for the adult rider. One of the reasons she put this together is from her travels around the US, she was blown away by the lack of basic understanding that most of the riders had regarding the correct seat, use of the weight/seat, leg and rein aids, etc. They have huge holes in their education.

It really was like a boot camp, but in the nicest way! As she said to one rider, if you don't get it after 10 hours a day, you may want to take up tennis! :)

We need more opportunities like this for the adult rider.

tempichange
Sep. 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
KDA did an adult camp on similar format as above with . I didn't get to participate because I was on a trip out of town. But all the participants had nothing but great things to say