PDA

View Full Version : Lunging over jumps- exercises?

JstMyLuck3
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:05 AM
I've been lunging one of my guys over a small verticle about 1 or 2 times per week, as he is getting back into jumping from some time off. He rushes to the jumps (under saddle and on the lunge line) and I know this is attributed to our jumper years... I've been making him walk up to the verticle then in the last 10 feet pick up a trot. That seems to help, but when we pick up the canter it's a different story. He charges, or goes for the REALLY long distance then plays and bucks for the next few strides.

I know part of this is he's just fresh and happy to be jumping again- but anyone have any good exercises I can do on the lunge line?

kookicat
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:09 AM
With a horse that rushes, I like to make jumping not a big thing. So do a few circles on the flat, then ask him to pop over the jump, then a few more circles on the flat.

Another thing to try is asking him to halt after the jump. :)

SkipChange
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:33 AM
With a horse that rushes, I like to make jumping not a big thing. So do a few circles on the flat, then ask him to pop over the jump, then a few more circles on the flat.

Another thing to try is asking him to halt after the jump. :)

I agree with this. My horse doesn't necessarily rush but man he was a long spot junkie. We changed the way we approached the topic of jumping. We made it into a casual thing. La di da just flatting around, oh there happens to be a jump in front of us, la di da trot right over it. Added casual cantering fences in as well and these made him quicker at first but eventually he settled down for those as well. He now lands extremely tame on the backside rather than running and heavy.

You might also try setting up a little gymnastic for the lunge. A bounce, one or two strides and you might try setting them up on the shorter side. How does he respond to a placement pole on the backside of the jumps? This usually helps with the ones I've ridden who "play" on the backside. I would avoid drilling over and over as this can make them anticipate.

ETA: This may seem slightly unrelated but I do think it helped. I started lunging him with side reins frequently to encourage proper balance and get him working more off his hind end and developing a top line. I feel like increasing his balance and fitness has made him more capable of the deep spot and it has also made him much more obedient between the fences.

Edit again to add: I did not mean to JUMP while having side reins on. I would never do this and would not support the idea.

JstMyLuck3
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:40 AM
I would avoid drilling over and over as this can make them anticipate.

So would you say it's better to just let him pop over a couple each direction almost everyday, than to let him jump it maybe 7 or 8 times each direction (in hopes he will flatten out) a couple times per week?

That's what I did yesterday, we only jumped it 3 times and on the 3rd time he was quiet, so I ended it with that.

And I will definitely mix in a gymnastics and/or one stride to keep his attention...

JstMyLuck3
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:49 AM
ETA: This may seem slightly unrelated but I do think it helped. I started lunging him with side reins frequently to encourage proper balance and get him working more off his hind end and developing a top line. I feel like increasing his balance and fitness has made him more capable of the deep spot and it has also made him much more obedient between the fences.

I didn't see this... funny you say it because this is my intention to use the side reins, as this horse definitely needs work on proper balance (esp jumping). I use them about 2x per week just on the flat (lots of walk/trot, trot/canter, canter/trot transitions). I tried to encorporate them into jumping, but he bucked and played so hard I was so nervous he was going to hurt himself. We will re-visit the side reins o/f soon hopefully...

kookicat
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:54 AM
So would you say it's better to just let him pop over a couple each direction almost everyday, than to let him jump it maybe 7 or 8 times each direction (in hopes he will flatten out) a couple times per week?

That's what I did yesterday, we only jumped it 3 times and on the 3rd time he was quiet, so I ended it with that.

And I will definitely mix in a gymnastics and/or one stride to keep his attention...

Yep! If you can hack him, and pop over a log/ditch/etc outside of the school too, it all helps him thing 'Hmm, maybe this jumping isn't such a big thing.' Kinda like how grooming isn't a big thing because it happens so many times a week.

I don't like lunging over fences with side reins. Just my personal preference, and one not everyone shares. If you do use side reins, make sure they have some give in them so if he jumps big/has a little play, he's not going to sock himself in the mouth and scare himself. :)

SaturdayNightLive
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:57 AM
Jumping in side reins? Yikes. :eek:

SkipChange
Sep. 3, 2009, 11:56 AM
Oh good lord no! I did not mean I JUMPED him in side reins! Sorry, I'm not good at being clear. Lunging in side reins did not happen and will never happen over fences.