PDA

View Full Version : OnTyte Stirrups

GRF
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:50 AM
Does anyone know if the new OnTyte magnetic stirrups (designed to limit the chances of losing an iron) have been approved by the USEF and or the USHJA, and if so for which divisions?
According to the OnTyte web site - the stirrups have been approved by the FEI for international competitions - but that does not mean that that they have been approved by the aforementioned organizations and are accetable equipment in and for the hunter divisions, especially the jr. and pony groups.

The concept is certainly interesting and could be helpful for dressage where the rider's balance and weight are centrally located in the seat (as opposed to distributed throughout the leg and down into the heel) at all times - with legs draped down the horse's sides - and irons become incidential.
However, while in a forward seat - I personally prefer the ability to have free range of motion throughout my foot if needed.
In all fairness to the OnTyte folks - the company does represent that breakaway from the stirrups will occur with the right pressure/weight in the event of some mishap.

Any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

Marissa Stashenko
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hi GRF,

Thank you for your interest in OnTyte! I am happy to answer some of your questions. The OnTyte hunter stirrup is now currently on the market, and the children's stirrup will be available the first of the year, and both are approved for all divisions.

The magnetic stirrups are especially useful in jumping as they provide increased security and comfort in the saddle by eliminating the fear of losing a stirrup. I understand your concern about not having complete mobility of your foot in the stirrup, but I will say that after a few rides you get used to the feeling of the magnetic attraction between your boot and stirrup. Also, as you mentioned in your post as well, the stirrups do easily breakaway in the event of a fall.

OnTyte stirrups are also proving extremely effective for disabled riders who have limited motion/feeling in their legs and feet since they do not have to worry about keeping their stirrups and can focus on other aspects of being on the horse.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions! (ontyte@gmail.com)

You can also become a fan of OnTyte on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for constant updates about the product and also the results of the top international grand prix riders who are now using them in competition.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/OnTyte-Magnetic-Stirrup-System/44299604122?ref=ts

http://twitter.com/OnTyteStirrups

www.ontyte.com

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 4, 2009, 10:49 AM
This is one of those things that for the price I'd want to try before I buy (especially if it means resoling my boots)....if you know what I mean.

But they are very intriguing.

Brigit
Nov. 4, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hmmm I'm not sure how I feel about these. It's kind of like the barrel racers with the velcro saddles. Learning how to ride well and keeping your heels down will prevent you from losing a stirrup. I teach all my lesson kids to ride without stirrups and to drop their stirrup & pick them up again while they're riding. I dunno, just my thought....seems like another riding "gimmick" or "crutch".

SouthernComfortMax
Nov. 4, 2009, 12:13 PM
I can see how this would be a great thing for event riders, seems to me like it would make cross-country a little safer. Sometimes on a cross country course (especially for little ones) it is impossible to keep your heels down all the time. But Wow!! VERY Expensive with the boot resoling at all...especially if you school in paddocks and halfchaps and show in tall boots! :O

Marissa Stashenko
Nov. 9, 2009, 04:07 PM
I can definitely see how people may consider the OnTyte stirrups as a 'crutch', but when jumping (especially big jumps) they do provide additional stability, but not so much that your foot won't break free from the magnet in the event of a mishap.

For anyone interested in trying the stirrups before purchasing, test rides are available at the following retailers:
Ann K Hubbords –IL and mobile store
Hadfield’s- Mobile Store
Collierville Tack Shop- Tennesse and mobile store
Rolling Meadows – mobile store (California)

By the beginning of 2010 almost all high end equestrian retailers will be offering an OnTyte Test Ride.

Dun Ciarain
Nov. 9, 2009, 05:15 PM
I can definitely see how people may consider the OnTyte stirrups as a 'crutch', but when jumping (especially big jumps) they do provide additional stability, but not so much that your foot won't break free from the magnet in the event of a mishap.

For anyone interested in trying the stirrups before purchasing, test rides are available at the following retailers:
Ann K Hubbords –IL and mobile store
Hadfield’s- Mobile Store
Collierville Tack Shop- Tennesse and mobile store
Rolling Meadows – mobile store (California)

By the beginning of 2010 almost all high end equestrian retailers will be offering an OnTyte Test Ride.

You need to clearly state that you are representing the manufacturer. You are not a disintrested party making a recommendation. Every single post you have made have been to push this product.

I watched 100's of grand prix rounds this past year and not a single pro rider lost a stirrup and none that I noticed were using these stirrups (I know most of them and know they don't use this product). The riders who belong at the highest levels don't need such a product unless they have a physical condition that necessitates them. Those who often lose their stirrups (more than a few times a year) should not be jumping 1.4m and above in the first place - actually, they should be jumping below 1.0m. I know you have a few pros endorsing the product, however paid endorsers and company friends don't count.

Elementgrl2
Nov. 9, 2009, 06:50 PM
Have you looked at the list of riders using them. All top riders

You need to clearly state that you are representing the manufacturer. You are not a disintrested party making a recommendation. Every single post you have made have been to push this product.

I watched 100's of grand prix rounds this past year and not a single pro rider lost a stirrup and none that I noticed were using these stirrups (I know most of them and know they don't use this product). The riders who belong at the highest levels don't need such a product unless they have a physical condition that necessitates them. Those who often lose their stirrups (more than a few times a year) should not be jumping 1.4m and above in the first place - actually, they should be jumping below 1.0m. I know you have a few pros endorsing the product, however paid endorsers and company friends don't count.

Dun Ciarain
Nov. 9, 2009, 07:57 PM
Have you looked at the list of riders using them. All top riders

Consider how many top riders don't use them - 100s and 100s. How many riders on the list paid for these stirrups? The answer is probably zero. What's more, they are probably being paid to use them. Very few riders jump high enough that they should get any benefit out of these. If you are jumping 3' and can't keep your stirrups 99.9% of the time, you should be concentrating on the basics, not putting magnets in your boots and having magnetic stirrups to make up for the lack of basics. The only exception should be if you have a permanent physical issue. If you are jumping 1.1m and can't keep your stirrups 99.9% of the time, you shouldn't be jumping that high. If you lose your stirrup, you should be able to recover it in one or two strides. If I can, anyone can. There are still plenty of barns in the world (apparently mostly outside of the US) where you are expected to be able to jump without stirrups and even without reins and stirrups at the same time. Too many people want to go from cross rails to 1.1m or higher in one or two years.

Giddy-up
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:20 AM
But are they legal under USEF rules? And for all divisions? That hasn't been answered here yet.

eponacowgirl
Nov. 10, 2009, 09:27 AM
I can see how this would be a great thing for event riders, seems to me like it would make cross-country a little safer. Sometimes on a cross country course (especially for little ones) it is impossible to keep your heels down all the time. But Wow!! VERY Expensive with the boot resoling at all...especially if you school in paddocks and halfchaps and show in tall boots! :O

Oi- I would HATE to not be able to readjust my stirrups coming up to different fences on XC.

SillyHorse
Nov. 10, 2009, 02:06 PM
I think it was evident from the post and the links and the e-mail address that Marissa represents (or may well BE) the manufacturer.

ExJumper
Nov. 10, 2009, 02:14 PM
Hi GRF,The OnTyte hunter stirrup is now currently on the market, and the children's stirrup will be available the first of the year, and both are approved for all divisions.

But are they legal under USEF rules? And for all divisions? That hasn't been answered here yet.

I would like to hear that they're legal from someone who ISN'T selling them, though :)

OnTyte Representative
Nov. 10, 2009, 08:43 PM
We are accepted for jumping and eventing by the FEI which by USEF rules grants us acceptance with USEF.