PDA

View Full Version : Schooling Hunter Derby

ilmjumper
Sep. 2, 2009, 11:31 PM
What would you like to see? We have one in the planning stages for this winter ( this first one will be a very very schooling level to see how the turn out goes) and possibly having more throughout the year. I'd like to here any and all suggestions, however keep in mind this will definitely be the first type of event in our area (which is not a A show capital of the world ;) ) and we'd like the course to be challenging yet completable by most if not all!
Suggestions?
Ideas?
We have a fair amount of space to work with, but as of yet, no ditches or banks...but if there's a good amount of interest we'll probably build some in the future!
Thanks!!!!

mrsbradbury
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:35 AM
I think it is a great idea. The local series we have beeen attending all summer offers a "mini-derby", it is only set at 2'6". The venue they use has a cute group of natural obstacles on a well maintained field, and they use them as well as the jumps in the ring.

I did the class with my green mare (jumping this summer), and 4 shows under her belt, and had a blast. The class attracted 19 entries at that height, and was the highlight of the day.

I can get you info about the organization, venue etc. just PM.

Two Black Cats
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:52 PM
My horse and I show on the A circuit, and I had the pleasure of watching a big USHJA derby this summer. It looked like a ton of fun!

My friend is riding my horse in a local, unrated medal final this Sunday, and I just found out that there will be a 2'6" hunter derby before the medals start. I was only planning on heading up to the show just to watch, but now you'd better believe that I'll be packing my boots and breeches to do the class on him beforehand - just for the experience!

Go for it! People are always looking for something different and fun outside of the usual 4-5 class divisions.

forward ride
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:41 PM
I did a show a couple of weeks ago that had an "option" jump where you went up a hill, then there was a little jump with logs under it (as a "box") and a rail over the top, then you came back down the hill. it was soooo fun. i took that option every time! (but my trainer wouldn't let me do it in the jump off because it obviously added more time). If you have hills to work with, something like that would be super fun!!

Wedonit
Sep. 3, 2009, 06:20 PM
What I thought was very fun about the recent International Hunter Derby was that there was a requirement to downward transition to a walk, and then the option to go underneath a gazebo-like structure. That's not too hard for everyone to do -- and a good rest of downshifting. :)

spmoonie
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:37 PM
I would enter! Ive been dying to do a mini hunter derby with my guy! My main suggestion would be to make the course just plain fun! Decorate the jumps as much "stuff" as possible. Try to include lots of different things--jumps without standards, brush, hedges, etc---. Also, try to include really nice prizes if you can. Like a really nice leather halter or even a small tack/bit box, or a gift certificate for the winner. I think that would attract a lot of riders! :)

ivy62
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
It would be the highlight of my day! I remember doing the pony hunters on an outdoor hunt course and had to dismount and jog in hand over a small obstacle and remount! This is of course when I was a junior...but it was a lot of fun!
Or better yet jump out the ring and do some jumps in a field and jump back into the ring and finish the course!

ilmjumper
Sep. 4, 2009, 11:56 PM
ivy62-that was my first thought too! And for 3' class we might offer that option, we're trying to really offer something for everyone being that the typical fence height around here is lucky to be at a true 2'6". :( Think we're going to set a small hedge up (perhaps straw bales painted green? something of that statue anyway) and off that as the other option. i like the dismount and jog over something and remount idea too, that's something that everyone should be able to do regardless of jumping level!

Hopefully this will become a fixture and we'll start building hills (we're on the coast lol, there are NO hills here!) banks and some ditches to make it easier to change the course everytime.