PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for winter coats for our ponies

hellerkm
Sep. 2, 2009, 07:25 PM
Both girls live out all year long. Lizzy (sm) is a British Riding Pony and seems to grow a pretty shaggy coat. I would like to avoid this as we want to show over the winter.
Roxy is a morgan/throughbred and is very thin skinned. Meg plans to keep riding and training her all winter so we don't want her to get too think either.
I would like nice heavy turn out rugs/blankets that will stand up to 24/7 outdoor wear and tear!
I have not purchased blankets for horses who live out 24/7 before but I have seen the damage that can be done to blankets that horses wear out for just a few hours so I am hoping to find some that will last most of the winter! wishful thinking maybe??

JLC7898
Sep. 2, 2009, 07:54 PM
I had really, really, good luck with a Weatherbeeta last winter for one of my geldings. It was an emergency blanket situation so i just ran to the local tack shop and bought it. This particular horse was out in the Weatherbeeta 24/7, with some field mates who were notorious blanket chewers. I am going to use it again this winter since it didn't have any damage, just needs a cleaning. This horse is also a very sensitive,thin skinned chestnut who rubs easily, and it fit him like a glove.

LuvMyDressageQH
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:14 PM
I will second the Weatherbeeta suggestion. The first blanket I bought for my horse *somehow* disintigrated within a month or two :uhoh:. The second barely lasted for the rest of the winter. The second winter, I bought a Weatherbeeta and it still looks great after 3 years. Minor tears in the lining, but other than that it is great!

toomanyponies
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:23 PM
For ponies, the Rambo/Rhino line fit really well - they have a pony 'wug' that is great. Whatever you do it will be worth it to make sure you get a really good fitting one.

hellerkm
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:35 PM
For ponies, the Rambo/Rhino line fit really well - they have a pony 'wug' that is great. Whatever you do it will be worth it to make sure you get a really good fitting one.

Ok so since I have not done this before how do I "make sure I get a really good fit"? if I measure them and get a weight on them will that help??

shawneeAcres
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:37 PM
Rambo!!!! Yes they ARE expensive but WELL WORTH the $$$, I suggest rambo over rhino however, rhino just doesn't hold up the same. I have two rambos that have had HARD USE over the years and literally they are around 10 years old each!!!!

toomanyponies
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:51 PM
Ok so since I have not done this before how do I "make sure I get a really good fit"? if I measure them and get a weight on them will that help??

If you are considering a Rambo/Rhino (which is hands down the winner IMO) go to their website - they have a measuring guide. In general, make sure the blanket sits a little in front of the highest point of the wither and above the point of the shoulder. If its tight across the shoulders, or the neck opening is so big the blanket sits 'under the shoulder/behind the wither' not only will the blanket rub all the hair off, it will potentially make the shoulders sore. The longest part of the butt end of the blanket should come just to the center of tail. Good Luck!!

Stono Ferry
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:57 PM
I have many ponies and many Rambo and Rhino blankets. They are the only kind I use. The Rambo's hold up longer than the Rhino's for heavy use. The hardware on the Rhino's seems to break. The Rambo's run bigger than other brands about 1 size usually. The Rhino's do not.

mroades
Sep. 2, 2009, 09:35 PM
Rambo Rhino, hands down

ponylover2008
Sep. 3, 2009, 05:31 PM
schneiders blankets hold up really well...

Sugarbrook
Sep. 3, 2009, 05:44 PM
We love our Schneiders blankets. Both my stallions have one and they are in fine shape. I use the closed front model with the belly band. That belly band really keeps them warm BUT, we live in Fl, so our cold weather is not like up north. LOL

superpony123
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:45 PM
I have had the best success with Weatherbeetas. The Orican and Landa are my personal favourites, and seem to be the strongest. :)

tBHj
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:59 PM
Rambo.

billiebob
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:18 PM
My TB is good with his Saxon and Weatherbeeta blankies for winter use. He's got a typical TB build--narrow and leggy--and those fit him really well. Rambos, not so much. The cut just isn't quite right. His Saxon is a 1200d heavyweight and it's held up well so far, although it'll only be entering it's second winter. Looks brand new at the moment because it's just been laundered.

However, Rambos are nearly indestructible. If they fit my horse, he'd have some of those. They're pricey but really the best you can buy.

BeastieSlave
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
My ponies wear/wore Rhinos. LOVE 'em! They fit great and last forever :yes:

I have some Rhino turnouts that are going on eleven years old and still waterproof and good looking, but I have never had good luck with Weatherbeetas...

Limerick
Sep. 3, 2009, 11:01 PM
Our small Welsh pony is going to be wearing his Rhino lightweight and medium weight blankets for his fourth winter. They are still in fantastic shape. He is easy on his blankets and goes out with my horse who is far too busy eating to bother with small pony blankets.

They don't have gussets so depending on your pony's build; they may not work.

I've also had great luck with Weatherbeta's and I think my horse's WB medium weight is going on its fifth winter!!

I would also recomend ordering through www.justforponies.com if you do buy over the internet because they can definitely offer advice to fit etc. and they are so fast with their shipping.

Cloverbarley
Sep. 4, 2009, 12:23 AM
Rambo. By far the most superior blankets on the NA market if you ask me. I have about 50 Rambos, some are well over 15 years old, and yet every winter I dig them out and put them on the horses (all of my horses live out all year) and they are still going strong. Actually the best condition out of all of my Rambos are the (very originals) navy/blue and then the first wugs that came out in purple/green. I have a couple of the newer "originals" in navy/red and they have not been quite as well made as the ones I bought all those years ago. Having said that though, they do stand up to the rough and tumbles that my guys all get up to. :)

The other make of blanket which I rate much higher than Rambos as Fals, but I have never seen them here in North America. I have about 7 or 8 Fals, once again they are years old, and every year they do a sterling job.