PDA

View Full Version : Dominus Saddles

100grand
Sep. 2, 2009, 12:09 PM
I am looking for opinions on the Dominus brand saddles. They look pretty nice to me and i have read some good reviews but I would like to hear more. Does anyone know how the trees run? Do they generally fit a wide variety of horses?

What do you think is a fair price to pay for one in great condition?

Any information would be helpful.

Thank you!

Come Shine
Sep. 2, 2009, 02:13 PM
A friend of mine used to have a Dominus. She didn't like it. She put it on consignment and it took a really long time to sell. iirc It was under $1000.

Small Change
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:52 PM
We've got three in the barn and are happy with them. They take a lot to break in, initially, but are comfortable, well balanced saddles for their price point.

wotan
Sep. 2, 2009, 09:15 PM
I have ridden comfortably in a Dominus show jumping saddle for 7 years, 2 to 6 days a week both in lessons, showing, and foxhunting. I found it slightly used on the internet, with a long flap, for about $900. It fits me well enough until I can afford to replace it with something custom. The leather has held up very well except for one small area on the edge of the seat where the seam is separating. I have been told the way to fix this is to have the seat replaced. It has a wide tree and has fit a variety of horses, except for TB's with very pronounced withers. Some of my friends dislike it and finds it tips them forward. I did remove the rear thigh blocks after using it several times...it just felt better without them.

tBHj
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:04 PM
I had one. It fit my horse but I couldn't ride properly in it as the flap was too long and forward for me. The leather is pretty decent on them. For the price point, if you're tall they seem to be a good deal.

100grand
Sep. 3, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone. It sounds like they are pretty decent saddles for the price. I will definately keep them on my list.

Anyone else have anything to add? I am still open to opinions.

Thank you!

Trixie
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:10 PM
I had one. It was pretty lovely but didn't fit my horse in the slightest, so I sold it.

RugBug
Sep. 3, 2009, 04:30 PM
My friend has one and it's lovely. I've ridden in it a few times, and while the seat is WAY to small for me (she's 5' tall, I'm 5'7") it was comfortable and didn't put me in a bad position.

I would look say they are worth a look

mvp
Sep. 3, 2009, 05:19 PM
I'd say check it out and buy it so long as one of your requirements for a saddle is not that it hold it's value.

This is not to diss Dominus saddles, but to acknowledge the reality of the saddle market. Resale price and quality of design or materials aren't always related. For saddles no longer made or promoted, it typically gets tougher and tougher to recoup your original price.

If you dig the saddle and you think it's fairly priced, buy it and don't worry about the future. If you know this is a temporary saddle for you, think about negotiating a lower price since you will probably lose money as a result of time passed since Dominus saddles were in vogue.

buck22
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:01 PM
I have a dominus, the leather and the construction is nice, and I think its a good looking saddle. I have a M tree that does a decent job of fitting my W horse, however, I've looked into 2 W trees and found both of them to be overstuffed, and actually fitting narrower than my M. Mine is stamped a 17 but IIRC measures 16.5 button to cantle. I met one other person who's 17 also measured 16.5, and a 17.5 I looked at measured 17, but I've spoken to plenty of people who's dominus are marked accurately. So measure before buying.

I have a bruce davidson with a L flap and it really meant for a long legged rider. I'm short, but have very long legs for my height, and I struggle a bit riding it. My horse likes the saddle a good deal even though it isn't a good fit on him.

though now is a buyers market, I wouldn't say they don't hold their value well. IIRC they weren't high priced when new, well under $2k I think, so they're not terribly expensive to begin with, though the construction on them is nice. I think in great shape around $750 +/- is a great price. I'll probably be parting with mine since I don't ride it and I won't be asking even that much for it.

Keep1Belle
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:19 PM
I have ridden comfortably in a Dominus show jumping saddle for 7 years, 2 to 6 days a week both in lessons, showing, and foxhunting. I found it slightly used on the internet, with a long flap, for about $900. It fits me well enough until I can afford to replace it with something custom. The leather has held up very well except for one small area on the edge of the seat where the seam is separating. I have been told the way to fix this is to have the seat replaced. It has a wide tree and has fit a variety of horses, except for TB's with very pronounced withers. Some of my friends dislike it and finds it tips them forward. I did remove the rear thigh blocks after using it several times...it just felt better without them.

ditto bought mine for $750 off the net (rick's heritage saddlery) long flap, gets lots of riding and it has held up pretty well and looks nice. fits all the horses pretty well.

as an aside, I dont believe you need to replace the seat. depending on where the tear is you can get it patched, that should hold you for a while.

PROTACKGUY
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:30 AM
Which Dominus?
The original ones were made by the same people that make HDR saddles but the saddle was designed by Peter Menet.
It was bench made and was of much higher quality than the HDR saddles.
The fit was not for everyone as it was very european in style.

The new Dominus saddles are a promotional brand from Weatherbeeta. Weatherbeeta bought the name from EEG which was the company that owned Millers and Eisers and Foxwood and Whitman.

The saddle is no longer made by its orginator or designed by Peter Menet.

Hunterlover17
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:01 AM
I purchased my Dominus saddle 10 years ago and it still looks new. It took forever to break it in and a lot of conditioning. I have a 16.5 wide tree that fits most of the wider horses fine. The flap is a bit long and forward but my thigh is longer than norm. I love my Dominus but love my trainer's Devoucoux much much more!

Ozone
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:09 AM
Which Dominus?
The original ones were made by the same people that make HDR saddles but the saddle was designed by Peter Menet.
It was bench made and was of much higher quality than the HDR saddles.
The fit was not for everyone as it was very european in style.

The new Dominus saddles are a promotional brand from Weatherbeeta. Weatherbeeta bought the name from EEG which was the company that owned Millers and Eisers and Foxwood and Whitman.

The saddle is no longer made by its orginator or designed by Peter Menet.

EXACTLY! And, good luck, very good luck finding one of the older quality ones because they are far and few between now. I would not be happy if I ended up with a "Weatherbeeta" saddle. The older model has prints under the flap. The WB one does not. Be careful, you could end up with junk.