PDA

View Full Version : Bridle Questions

tBHj
Sep. 2, 2009, 12:42 AM
Unfortunatly my show bridle isn't going to match my new saddle so I will eventually need to purchase a new one for next year.

The Vespucci 'brown' color matches perfect but I already have a Vespucci schooling bridle that I am not impressed with so I won't buy another one.

I want a single crown bridle, in brown, with a matching standing martingale for up to $800 in total.

What are some good options?

The saddle is a Spooner by Antares. As far as I have found so far Antares doesn't make a single crown bridle.

Brown Horse
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:35 AM
What is wrong with the color? If your current bridle is just too light, it's pretty easy to darken it. Just FYI :)

spmoonie
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:18 AM
I love my Hadfields! Shop around and you can probably find what you are looking for near that price. I believe they also do custom bridles so Im sure they could make a single crown for you. I also have an Edgewood, however, even though the leather is beautiful, it is just not as nice as my Hadfields.

Right on Target
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:54 AM
I love my Edgewood, but it is reddish brown, and it will never be a rich dark brown as far as I can tell. I've tried. So you may want to avoid Edgewood if you don't want reddish brown.

BAC
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:29 PM
I love my Edgewood, but it is reddish brown, and it will never be a rich dark brown as far as I can tell. I've tried. So you may want to avoid Edgewood if you don't want reddish brown.

My relatively new Edgewood (bought this winter) is already dark brown. Since all my other bridles are already dark brown I was trying to maintain the reddish shade on my Edgewood but it didn't work. :confused: I oiled it with Blue Ribbon and clean it with Effax Leder Combi, maybe you should try that if you want it to be dark brown.

BAC
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:32 PM
The saddle is a Spooner by Antares. As far as I have found so far Antares doesn't make a single crown bridle.

Antares now makes their figure 8 bridle with a single crown, and they have made other changes to their line so you might want to check to see what their hunter bridle looks like now. I know they took off the little silver disc on the browband and offer an unpadded crown too.

You won't find a Hadfields bridle, reins and martingale in your price range although you might try Rebecca at premiertackoutlet.com, she discounts high end bridles, including Hadfields.

vxf111
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:46 PM
I've had luck getting Edgewood to assume the nice havana brown color rather than the reddish colors...

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/GCHS%20Aug%2029%202009/?action=view&current=Yadonegood.jpg

Just takes a few coats of Hydrophane darkening oil and good use/cleaning/conditioning over time.

In terms of "brown, no red-tone" bridles-- you might also check out the Herve Godignon. I have one and I think it's extra special and really gorgeous, and while it starts out lighter than it ends up-- there's not a HINT of red in the color before or after. It's a straight medium brown that turns to straight havana, no red at all.

tBHj
Sep. 2, 2009, 04:36 PM
What is wrong with the color? If your current bridle is just too light, it's pretty easy to darken it. Just FYI :)

It's an Exselle with a smokey gold tint to it (if that even makes any sense). Even with lots of oil it won't turn the color that I would like.

tBHj
Sep. 2, 2009, 04:39 PM
Antares now makes their figure 8 bridle with a single crown, and they have made other changes to their line so you might want to check to see what their hunter bridle looks like now. I know they took off the little silver disc on the browband and offer an unpadded crown too.

You won't find a Hadfields bridle, reins and martingale in your price range although you might try Rebecca at premiertackoutlet.com, she discounts high end bridles, including Hadfields.

Does Hadfields make a single crown hunter bridle? I suppose I could pay up to $1500 for a bridle & standing martingale... but I'd never tell my boyfriend. :D

Bolero
Sep. 2, 2009, 05:03 PM

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=4725

I want one immediately!

Denzel
Sep. 2, 2009, 05:09 PM
Smartpak has their new bridle lines and they have a single crown (the Nantucket), I'm not sure what color it would oil to, but it would be worth calling and asking. Another option is the Childeric bridles, but their crownpiece is CRAZY wide, so they look sort of weird.

BAC
Sep. 2, 2009, 05:34 PM
Does Hadfields make a single crown hunter bridle? I suppose I could pay up to $1500 for a bridle & standing martingale... but I'd never tell my boyfriend. :D

Their ads say they will do custom work, so I imagine they would make one up for you if they don't have one in their line. Don't forget they sell their bridles without reins though, so any quote you get you must add the cost of reins too (close to $300 for reins now :eek:). Call or email them.

ponymom64
Sep. 2, 2009, 05:50 PM
but I'd never tell my boyfriend. :D

That goes without saying ;)

spmoonie
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:56 PM
Their ads say they will do custom work, so I imagine they would make one up for you if they don't have one in their line. Don't forget they sell their bridles without reins though, so any quote you get you must add the cost of reins too (close to $300 for reins now :eek:). Call or email them.

Completely worth it though! IMO at least.

tBHj
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=4725

I want one immediately!

I love this bridle but it doesn't make sense to have the crown padded and still have the strap from the noseband running over the poll IMO.

Kenike
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:54 PM
I love this bridle but it doesn't make sense to have the crown padded and still have the strap from the noseband running over the poll IMO.

Which is the only thing, the one single thing I don't like about my Red Barn bridle.

Lucassb
Sep. 2, 2009, 11:48 PM
I actually like this one - http://www.dyon.be/produits_details_briderie.php?Id_produit=110&Id_cat=11&Id_lang=2&Id_ss_cat=11&Id_sss_cat=26

Generally I prefer the more traditional styles, but I've always liked the Dyon products and this one accomplishes a lot without sacrificing the traditional look. The leather is gorgeous, definitely as nice as my Jimmy's or Hadfields bridles.

Bolero
Sep. 3, 2009, 03:55 PM

It doesn't, I guess that is part of the new upgrade! It is a regular monocrown. :)

tBHj
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:31 PM
I am in LOVE with this one..

http://www.dyon.be/produits_details_briderie.php?Id_produit=113&Id_cat=11&Id_lang=2&Id_ss_cat=11&Id_sss_cat=26

Too bad it isn't huntery. :sadsmile: