PDA

View Full Version : What is the Worst thing your horse has done to a Trainer

WWYD?
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:56 PM
O.K. I'll start. For some reason as I was driving home from the barn today I thought of something naughty my horse did once.

I was at the in-gate at a horse show, and was up next. Just at this point, the wind started to pick up incredibly--the kind of wind you get right before a major storm. The wind was so strong, it literally blew down the tent that was stationed at the in-gate. At this point, my trainer thought she would help me by grabbing onto my horse's bridle. My horse is really not a spooky guy, but the force of the wind and the tent just blowing away was a bit much for him. He wanted to jump forward but couldn't because she was valiantly trying to hold on to him. Well, he just lifted her up about three feet into the air. She was then tossed and landed on her back with her feet up in the air. (It took her a while for her to get back up, but she was o.k.)

Not my horsies fault--I swear!

Rhody Ram
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:58 PM
My horses always hate it when someone on the ground tries to hang on to their bridle.

My small pony used to headbutt when your back was turned to him. HARD.

Renn/aissance
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:03 PM
Well, during a clinic, my horse tried to buck off George Morris. Does that count?

Aerial
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:05 PM
Renn- That's awesome =P

WWYD?
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:05 PM
Well, it depends. Did he stay on?

I'm sure it wasn't your horse's fault. Could George have made a mistake of some sort?

heartinrye
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:15 PM
An old trainer of mine was in my horses stall as I was leading him out (trainer was walking out behind him) my horse decided to stretch out his back leg slowly, and then popped it out really fast (does that make sense?) and poor Mr. Trainer was right behind my usual saint of a horse, and was hit in a 'special area'. Let's just say we had to go a little later than planned due to trainer 'issues'.
hehe

JinxyFish313
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:19 PM
I cant think of anything my own horses have done to a trainer, but as an instructor myself I can tell you I've been nearly run down by students' horses in the ring before. Always results in an unpleasant conversation with the rider.

Coppers mom
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:24 PM
He pinned my poor trainer in the trailer. He didn't mean to, he just wouldn't move his fat butt over so my trainer could get out, the lump :lol:

Renn/aissance
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:44 PM
Well, it depends. Did he stay on?

I'm sure it wasn't your horse's fault. Could George have made a mistake of some sort?

He did indeed stay on. He'd gotten on Tip to demonstrate the first of the jumping exercises, but first decided to do some flatwork. Tip is used to feeling as though his opinions on the flat are valued and welcomed... so he was in for a bit of a shock when they were not. :lol: He leaped around like a porpoise, tried to run off, and was generally not a good citizen. I was mortified at the time, but now it's hilarious. And yes, he was great for the rest of the session. :lol:

heatherny2
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:53 PM
I don't know about you, but I would be mortified to see GM flying off my horse...mostly worried that he would be hurt (GM, not the horse)... I mean really, I'm sure his bones break easily nowadays....

heatherny2
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:57 PM
My greenie decided to have a REALLY bad day at his 3rd horse show...was totally freaky, and my trainer/Mom, decided to get on him before me, well he was totally out of his mind..as soon as she got on he scooted a little and then proceeded to rear up and over..thankfully he leaned to one side and did not land completely on her, but still very scary to see my horse and my Mom(trainer) going completely over backwards....:eek: (both were fine, btw)

Jive
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:58 PM
One day at a show a well know trainer/grandprix rider was standing near the ingate during my round. It had been pouring rain all night and was very mucky. I proceed to fall off at the first jump of the line going away from the in-gate. My horse proceeds to run around like an idiot by the ingate.

Said well known trainer tries to help my coach catch my silly horse. Horse gets trainer covered head to toe in mud. This was only an hour or two prior to the start of a grand prix that day. Though maybe it gave him some luck as he placed 1st and 3rd on his horses.

Seven-up
Sep. 1, 2009, 11:05 PM
Tonight my horse decided she would be safer climbing up onto my shoulders than if she kept all 4 feet on the ground while I was taking her out of her stall. We had a come to Jesus meeting and a lesson on how to walk out of a stall, and only after I turned everyone out did I discover the very creepy sound of a monster walking around outside my barn. I have no idea what was out there, but boy did I feel bad. Monsters are no excuse for running me over, especially since it was probably just a possum, but I still felt bad.:(

pinkme
Sep. 1, 2009, 11:10 PM
My saintly horse was being BAD, so trainer sent me in to grab a lunge whip. she had the line in her hand holding horse while I went inside. She was teaching other students in another part of the ring. She turned quickly and stood up fast and the shit head striked out at her! I turned around so see my trainers face covered in blood and naughy horse looking at her like "what just happened"? He hit her lip and nose. Thank god nothing broke!

GallopGirl
Sep. 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
We'd just unloaded my horse from the trailer. He was tacked up, and we were getting ready to school the x-country course where we had an event the following weekend. There were imaginary bugs biting him under his stomach. At first he was just swishing the tail a lot, but then he started getting his back legs into it. I was trying to spray him with fly spray to get the imaginary bugs to go away. Trainer was on the cell phone about 6 feet away from him with her back toward us. He let a kick go that got her straight in the butt. She had a credit card in her pocket, and it was completely bent. I think she had a bruise for a while, but in the end, everyone was fine.

RugBug
Sep. 2, 2009, 12:52 AM
I was out of riding for a number of months when I got bucked off and broke my arm. Trainer took over most of the riding of the already naughty horse. A few months into the gig (arm didn't heal very quickly), horse bucked the trainer off and sent her to the emergency room. ] :eek: Turned out to be nothing, but it really freaked me out. She just landed really hard and couldn't move for quite some time, so off to the ER she went.

Interesting thing is, I woudn't call this horse a bucker. I can count on one...well, maybe two...hands the number of times this horse has ever bucked under saddle in the 6 years I've owned him. Just turns out that when he does buck, you better watch out. :lol:

Oh, and the trainer bucking fit was because her dressage whip got stuck in his tail when he flicked it. That apparently didn't make him happy.

klmck63
Sep. 2, 2009, 01:02 AM
While waiting to go into the ring on a very, very windy day my gelding, who has absolutely no sense of privacy or 'personal space' decided he had to pee. So before I could do anything to let him know that this was a bad idea until we were out of a rather large crowd he had whipped it out and peed. The wind blew it right onto my trainer and unfortunately several others. Trainer laughed. Others were not so impressed. I think he thought it was funny.

Not my trainer, but seconds after my Dad had signed and handed over the check for said gelding (who was a bit more expensive than we had planned on buying) the gelding bit my Dad right in the middle of his stomach. There was a little bit of buyers remorse until I convinced him that 'Who cares if he bites? He jumps great :lol:" Thankfully that was the first and last time he ever bit anyone.

blueskye
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:29 AM
not a trainer... but a judge.

I had a 3.5 year old gelding as a 4-H project horse my last junior year. He was in general very, very good for a baby, but very strongly oppinionated and had a thing about going straight up when asked to turn in hand. At our district level show, he'd been shockingly good for our showmanship pattern. The last test was of course squaring up as the judge walked around the horse. She asked a few questions and had just dismissed us, so I started to pivot Snick to the right to walk out. He said "to hell with both of you!", reared up and leapt forward and left striking out, knocking me AND the judge to the ground and making a mad dash for the out gate.

When the dust cleared, we were both fine. Needless to say I did not score too high in that class, but came later in the day to win hunter under saddle.

tikidoc
Sep. 2, 2009, 06:11 AM
A few years ago, I was working with a hunter trainer, before I came to the "dark side" of eventing. The trainer came in twice a week to give lessons and train. I was not free that day to take a lesson, so he was going to ride my usually mellow 17+hh Clyde/TB cross gelding. The trainer went to go get the horse out of the field and Rocky was way at the other end, a long hike. So after haltering him, the trainer decided to take the easy way back and hop on Rocky to get back to the barn (trainer was about 6'3"). Rocky, who is unusually leggy for a draft cross, and quite short backed (and therefore has a heck of a buck when he feels like it, which is usually rare) immediately let off with a huge buck and promptly dumped the trainer in the dirt. Rocky, as it turns out, had never been ridden bareback before. And after that, probably never will. And the trainer, a bit of a drama queen with an ego the size of Texas, was briefly put in his place. We never let him live that one down. Obviously, there were witnesses to the event, or we would never have known about it. I just wish I had been there to see it.

mortebella
Sep. 2, 2009, 07:59 AM
So far (knock on wood) my horse has not done anything awful to my trainer, but I just had to say to Renn, I have one who is also convinced his opinions are 100% welcome at all times! Furthermore, he insists on sharing! I firmly believe he had another life as a corporate CEO...but I have a feeling he'd keep his mouth shut in front of George ;)

TB110
Sep. 2, 2009, 09:33 AM
My daughters horse would not do water.. no liverpools, no water. period. At a clinic with Will Simpson he got on her horse when she couldn't get him to do the water, well, not only would he not do the water he tried to buck Will off as well. That horse never did do any water jumps that day.

Vixenish
Sep. 2, 2009, 01:18 PM
My greenie broke my trainer's leg in two places in May. :( He was being a grouch and not wanting to work, and he flipped over and fell on her. I felt awful!! Fortunately, she didn't need surgery, but she was in a cast all summer. He's never tried anything like that before or since... I think it scared him as much as it scared her! Good thing he's her favorite horse in the barn, so she forgave him. :winkgrin:

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 2, 2009, 01:34 PM
Was riding for a BNT schooling horses at his farm during college. I had about 7-8 that I rode regularly. I was out-of-town for a week and the trainer was going to keep my guys schooled. One of mine was a particularly bipolar creature and apparently didn't agree with the trainer's manly style of riding. Mr. Bipolar spooked so hard that he threw BNT in to a steel beam in the covered arena. Trainer's partner said that my horses could just wait until I got home...

Showjumper28
Sep. 2, 2009, 01:44 PM
My mare, RIP, was a very opinionated, one person horse. I never let too many people ride her due to her tendency to get rid of riders she didn't care for. Anyway, I was training with a GP Dressage rider, who decided to get a feel for my mare while in the indoor ring. The previous day I had set up a gymnastic then ended with a 5' oxer. GP trainer decides to pick up the canter, and my mare decides to try her usual, "I'm just going to freight train in to a gallop" when some one else is on her back. The trainer saw it coming and kept her in check, so my lovely mare decided on the circle through the center of the ring to just swap leads and sail over the oxer as a slice (they always were her favs.)

Needless to say, the dressage trainer got dumped as my mare took off on the other side, and never rode my mare again. Other than a bruised ego, the trainer was okay.

mypaintwattie
Sep. 2, 2009, 02:04 PM
My former trainer was run into the arena fence by my horse, who then decided to run backwards, tripped, and fell on her side. She was then labeled a naughty mare. A few months later, after visits from vet, chiro, dentist, massage therapist, and ulcer treatment she is no longer that naughty. Amazing what they will do when they are in pain. Besides, the animal communicator said she didn't like the trainer anyways:winkgrin:

Moli
Sep. 2, 2009, 02:07 PM
Tossed GM off during one of his clinics.....quite a few years ago when he was going through one(?) of his "phases". Actually, I posted this under the wrong thread. I should be posted as : What is the best thing your horse has done to a trainer" !! :yes::lol:

Indy
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:01 PM
I had a very dear QH gelding as a beginner. He never spooked and in all my beginner mistakes, I never even came close to falling off of him. I could pretty much ride him through fire...it might be at 100mph, but he'd do it. I had taken him to a horse show and for some reason (I can't remember why she was on him...she rarely ever rode our horses and had a particular dislike for mine), my then [evil] Trainer was jumping him around the ring to school the night before we showed. The ring was right by a country road. Dear QH suddenly took severe objection to a truck pulling a round bale on a flatbed and spooked, depositing my then Trainer on the ground. Hard. I found it slightly humorous, in a sick and twisted sort of way.

dmj
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:11 PM
nothing too bad, but the ONE time my trainer ever got on him (he does not ride much anymore due to some physical issues) my horse pulled his patented freak out move - which is to say, he did NOTHING. Stood absolutely stock still. When he goes into this mode, which he did probably a couple of times a week back then when he was a greenie, he just stands there, and NOTHING you do will get him to move an inch. If you look into his eyes, its like he is not 'there'. He is a rescue/OTTB. When this happens, you have to push the 'restart' button - dismount, get back on - and he is fine. Trainer just sat there laughing and petting him. He proceeded to teach a lesson from my horses' back.

He is a wonderful horse and my trainer adored/adores him, but it just cracks me up that the one time he ever got on him the horse would not move for him :) He does not pull this move anymore, thankfully.

Only other thing I can think of is the assistant trainers would come back with bruised sternums after schooling my horse over fences, he just jumps really hard :)

FindersKeepers
Sep. 2, 2009, 04:17 PM
I was riding in a clinic about 10 years ago. Our hour and a half session had just rolled into hour 3. All the horses were cranky, and I was cranky. Said trainer continued to refer to my mare as "him" and "the grey gelding" and I was more than annoyed.

As another rider was getting started on their jumping exercise, I told the trainer my mare had to pee and we would be right back. When she has to pee and you're on her, she does this little jig. Well he looked at me and at my mare and said "he doesn't have to pee, he's just being uncooperative" He then walks along to the rear of my mare to instruct the rider jumping a fence behind us and my mare let loose. She peed and soaked his right boot, and splattered him all over.

He turned and looked at me, horrified, and I said "I told you she had to pee..."

AppendixQHLover
Sep. 2, 2009, 04:24 PM
My horse is a really good boy but he does stuff that just is normal horse stuff.

My current horse HATES flies. I mean HATES them. He will stamp his foot and fling his tail around. Well we were in a class and had to halt. Another trainer was leaning across the rail so that she could talk to her student. Well Mr. Cranky-pants flinged his tail and hit her right in the face. I was like...sorry...wanting to crawl under my horse with embarassment.

Rest of the shows the trainer would step back if we stopped in front of her.

Another show..

He gets the flying p00ps at shows. Not nervous just gets them. So I told a guy who was to close to my horse that he was getting ready to poop. I saw him getting ready to lift his tail. The guy is like..whatever...Well my funny boy...freaking let it fly and the guy got splashed. The language that came out of hsi mouth. I WARNED him...

drawreins
Sep. 2, 2009, 06:38 PM
Trainer was jumping my horse around 3'6" in the show ring. He tripped before the line causing a major missed distance and stops but slides into fence. On top of the standards are potted flowers. Well as you would know it, the potted flower falls and barely misses my horse's head. He therefore rears and spins and my poor trainer ends up on the flower pot and in the bushes along lining the standards. I turned the video camera off and went out to brush the mulch and dirt off my trainer.

dancingequestrian85
Sep. 2, 2009, 07:36 PM
Not a trainer but a one of my good friends mom's...

I was getting ready to show and my friend's mom was polishing my pony's feet. As she bent over and started painting one of her back hooves, the little witch of a pony kicked her right in the chest and got hoof polish all over her! Mom was ok and she joked for years that the hoof polish was a great deep conditioner for her hair :)