PDA

View Full Version : Boarding Blues

TrakeGirl
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:04 PM
There are days I love boarding. There are days I hate it.

Today (and for the past couple of months) - I have not been enjoying it very much. :(

Think I'm going to have to put in my 30 days when I pay board tonight. I haven't moved in six years. Sigh...I hate shopping for a new place to "live".

gmv567
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:33 PM
Just moved three horses to a new home after 9 years! It felt great!

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:35 PM
I spent the winter at a place that I despised because it was close and cheap. The people were horrible, the facility horrible, and it didn't take long before it started to wear on my personal life.
I moved to a fabulous place and even though it strains my budget a bit I wouldn't trade it for the peace of mind and the enjoyment. It is a bit of a drive but so glad to be there.

If you don't like where you are, move. Life's too short to be miserable.

imapepper
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:41 PM
I moved my horses into a self care facility at the beginning of the year. And even though it has some downsides, I like having control over what I feed, when I feed, how much turnout and when, and how much bedding my horses have. I didn't think I was that picky but I couldn't find a boarding facility that took care of my horses up to my standards.

The downside is that I spend much more time cleaning my barn than I do riding these days. And I need to figure out how to flood proof 2 of my stall :( But my horses are happy and my friend's horses that moved with me are happy. And one of her horses was having issues and colicing frequently at the last boarding facility. *Knocking on wood* he has not had any issues since we moved.

Good luck shopping for your new home :)

TrakeGirl
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:18 PM
It would be easier if I didn't like the place or the people there - or the cost of board there...which I *LOVE*. I searched high and low for a place with good turnout...which this place does...problem is - it is not agreeing with my horse. Don't get me wrong - he loves his turnout - but his body is not handling the almost 24/7 pasture access very well (he's a fattie...his feet have fallen apart the last 2 summers and making me go broke keeping him shod with glue (which both vet and farrier attribute to the grass - either the sugars or the super wet conditions (night turnout = heavy, heavy morning dew, feet soaked)...so the situation just isn't working for him.

And the set up at the barn isn't so flexible as to allow other turnout options - either you can do the herd, 24/7 thing or you probably should find another place.

Of course the farrier wants turnout to be dusk to 2-3am. Hmmm...should be pretty easy to find a boarding barn with that available!

starkissed
Sep. 1, 2009, 05:46 PM
yeah boarding is just one of those things....
I never had to board until 3 yrs ago, prior to that they were on our farm where everything was under our control. I didn't think I was that picky either. But I have realized that one of my problems is that I know TOO much. Additionally, I go to the barn a lot, which means I see a lot.

I dare say a good majority of boarding facilities prefer it when the owners just let them do whatever with their horse, rather than owners like me who are always watching everything and 'disrupting' hehe.

Currently I am at a place where I pay a lot, it's tight. Even though I don't care for everything they do, I get a great facility, everything is safe. People are there all the time, they are kind of paranoid. But it's a show place and they like having the horses stalled a lot. and eh just other little things. But you have to weigh the pros and cons

ALTERnativeGirlfriend
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:25 PM
While we're all randomly ranting, can I join in from the other perspective? I've had a boarder that was driving me INSANE for a long while... Finally told my family (who own the barn I manage and train at) that I was actively looking for a new boarder and planned on giving this one notice to find a new place. About 2 DAYS later, kid's mom comes in all upset and tells me they can't afford our board anymore and are moving to a smaller, cheaper backyard-ish place. Since I do love the mom, I say oh, ok, I'm so sorry, blah blah blah... but secretly I'm doing the happy dance! I can't even tell you how glad I am this kid will be out of the barn. I was losing money having the horse here and the kid, while essentially a "good kid" is one of those who thinks she knows everything and actually knows nothing and also believes that just since she pays board she can do whatever she wants whenever she wants. Not around my place, honey!

Ah... I feel better now.