PDA

View Full Version : Conformation Critique?

Tazman09
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:04 PM
I just want a conformation critique on my horse. I know his main faults, so I just thought perhaps a more analytical critique would help. Please don't be too cruel! Here are some pictures for you:

Thanks so much!

P.S. Sorry about the front boots, I just wasn't prepared for him to actually stand still for pictures so I thought I'd make the most out of it while he was still.

findeight
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:11 PM
Well, he looks camped out behind but you got so many shadows falling all over him and the angles are not that good...have to say I can't really tell much of anything. Other then he looks healthy.

Stand him up against a plain background on level ground in good light to give us a fair chance of seeing his conformation.

Tazman09
Sep. 2, 2009, 06:37 AM
Well, he looks camped out behind but you got so many shadows falling all over him and the angles are not that good...have to say I can't really tell much of anything. Other then he looks healthy.

Stand him up against a plain background on level ground in good light to give us a fair chance of seeing his conformation.

I know they aren't the best pictures, I'm sorry. Perhaps you guys could just try your best?

JB
Sep. 2, 2009, 07:58 AM
I do strongly suspect he is indeed camped out - I can't see where the picture could be making him look that way and he's not. But if there's some funny way he's standing that the picture doesn't show, he might not be. A better picture would help.

He has a relatively small hind end compared to his body. It's not necessarily a weak hind end, but the depth from the point of his hip to the point of his butt is not exactly fitting with everything in front of it. But, given that the picture was taken from in front of the horse's barrel, that might change if we saw one taken square on.

His shoulder is fairly upright - it would be more accurately angled with a little more slope is he were not standing over his front legs - that straightens the shoulder and even moreso the pasterns.

Pasterns look decent enough from what I can tell. Cannon bones likewise look decent in length.

He's got a long wither which has probably made saddle fitting interesting. If you have trouble with the girth sliding forward because the saddle has to be placed so far back, try an anatomical girth.

All around he's pretty attractive.

Tazman09
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:16 AM
I do strongly suspect he is indeed camped out - I can't see where the picture could be making him look that way and he's not. But if there's some funny way he's standing that the picture doesn't show, he might not be. A better picture would help.

He has a relatively small hind end compared to his body. It's not necessarily a weak hind end, but the depth from the point of his hip to the point of his butt is not exactly fitting with everything in front of it. But, given that the picture was taken from in front of the horse's barrel, that might change if we saw one taken square on.

His shoulder is fairly upright - it would be more accurately angled with a little more slope is he were not standing over his front legs - that straightens the shoulder and even moreso the pasterns.

Pasterns look decent enough from what I can tell. Cannon bones likewise look decent in length.

He's got a long wither which has probably made saddle fitting interesting. If you have trouble with the girth sliding forward because the saddle has to be placed so far back, try an anatomical girth.

All around he's pretty attractive.

Thanks for that, it's almost all of what I assumed anyway but it helps to know others opinions! I appreciate it.

tBHj
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:24 AM
I think his neck is a little long. His bum looks small, and he looks 'camped out' as the others mentioned. It's really hard to tell everything from a picture though.