PDA

View Full Version : Fashion Help: I need a Show Coat

myvanya
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:29 PM
Ok, so I have been showing in my hunt coat, which I know at the lower levels is acceptable, but here is my problem....I had my hunt coat specifically tailored for jumping, so it is loose enough in certain areas for me to actually move, and it is a little longer than your average dressage coat. I still jump. So I can't just redo all the tailoring in my hunt coat. So, I need a new dressage coat as the hunt coat ends up loking kind of bad in dressage. Despite the mention of tailoring in the last few sentences, I do not have a lot of money (so custom made or even high end is out). My mother did all the tailoring for me and doesn't love to do it.

All that to say- does anyone have any thoughts on a decent dressage coat that looks good and fits well that doesn't cost a gazillion dollars? I can have some tailoring done, and I know I will need to do so since I have a super short torso and longish arms, but I also need my mother to still like me when its all said and done :winkgrin: She made one for my sister but swore she would never do it again since it was such a horrific experience (apparently dressage coats are really detailed and wool isn't super fun to sew and neither is lining or basically sewing the coat twice- once in wool and once in lining.), and I don't have the sewing skills for a dressage coat. Soooooo....any help is much appreciated as I am really new to showing dressage.

Thanks in advance!

Valentina_32926
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:01 PM
Go for used - eBay? A tack shop?
Some of us have "outgrown" our old coats and could sell them at places like eBay - so look there or on other relatively free web sites.

myvanya
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:04 PM
I'm definitely going to look used locally- used online worries me a little as if it doesn't fit for some reason and can't be made to fit, I am a little stuck.

whicker
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:20 PM
Perhaps if you give us some idea of size etc, we could see if there is something in the closet that might suit. we would have to pm you, I think

Olympussporthorses
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:45 PM
What is your price range? I just bought a super discounted dressage coat from Dover in Dallas for $170 - regular cost was $340.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-40447&bhcd2=1251830503

If you're on a tighter budget, the Tuff Rider Coat from dover is $85.
http://www.doversaddlery.com/tuff-rider-dressage-show-coat/p/X1-40206/cn/36/

They also have a few in the $100-$150 range

Pony Fixer
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:38 PM
Unless your current jacket is *obscenely* un-tailored looking you can save the most money just using what you have. I wore a black hunt coat for years before getting a "real" dressage coat. I don't think anyone even knew...

myvanya
Sep. 1, 2009, 05:14 PM
My hunt coat was a size 12 long that we took in through the waist, back and in the front a little. It is barely long enough in the sleeves.

Cheaper is always better but if I find a great coat for a really good price I could figure it out. I am lokoing at a used one now that might work, but I need to get a better idea of what my exact measurements are.

If anyone does have any good brand suggestions though I appreciate that...I am familiar with higher end brands through my trainer so I know what to look for in the high end used coats, but not so much in the low end new coats. Any that are really good fit or quality for their price?

My hunt coat now is navy (which I know is acceptable) but it really doesn't look good in a dressage saddle...it is too long, too loose through the arms, and not tailored closely enough at the waist. I'll keep using it until I get a new coat but I really want to look well turned out and be respectfull of the judges and other competitors etc. and I think good turnout is an important part of that.