PDA

View Full Version : Pelham... Lip strap or no?

SEFBH87
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:33 PM
I feel a little dumb by not really knowing the answer to this question but want to know what is the norm.

Long story short, horse I am showing this weekend goes in a Pelham. Have never used a lip strap, although it is more proper to ride with one (right?). Would you use one? How would you go about attaching?

Thanks!

Lucassb
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:38 PM
I was always taught to use one on a pelham... properly adjusted, it helps keep the chain in place, flat and without twisting.

They come in two parts, and are easy to put on. There are loops that you slide the rest of the strap through to attach them to the bit, and then they just buckle together; you put the middle part through the "extra" link in the middle of the curb chain.

mroades
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:45 PM
Please DO use a lipstrap on a pelham. As a judge, it really bothers me to have a curb chain flapping around.

Seven-up
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:46 PM
Just like Lucassb said. It attaches to those teeny rings that are 2 small for anything else to fit on.

MintHillFarm
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:32 AM
Please DO use a lipstrap on a pelham. As a judge, it really bothers me to have a curb chain flapping around.

AGREE COMPLETELY! In addition to looking so much better, it has a function as well to keep the curb chain in place.

ryansgirl
Sep. 1, 2009, 07:51 AM
Always just like the others have said ;).

sansibar
Sep. 1, 2009, 07:58 AM
Sorry to jump in but I have had a few horses in pelhams and no one has said anything about a lip strap for them, just wondering what a lip strap is and what it looks like :S

sorry!

Seven-up
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:55 AM
Picture here: http://horses.about.com/od/choosingandusingtack/p/pelham3.htm

Although their explanation of why it's needed is wacky; never heard that before. I googled pelham lip strap, and there were plenty of hits.

findeight
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:25 PM
Guys, there is a very basic safety reason for that lip strap besides keeping the chain from bouncing around...

A nasty horse/Pony can GRAB THE SHANK in it's mouth and leave you with no brakes or steering. I can assure you it is not at all fun and once they learn this, you are screwed.

The lip strap, properly adjusted, keeps the lower lip from being able to easily get to that shank for the grab.

We used to run a piece of string on some ill mannered Western horses to keep them from grabbing the shank, set just like that lip strap.

You also see that most Western curb shanks are curved back, in an S curve or have some type of round concho or decoration on them?? It keeps that shank out of reach or too thick to grab.

vxf111
Sep. 1, 2009, 02:05 PM
I've always used a lip strap. Didn't every occur to me that there was an option not to?! They can sometimes be a little tough to find at tack shops (full cheek keepers too, for some reason) but if you look around-- you can find them. I believe Dover carries lip straps.

TrakeGirl
Sep. 1, 2009, 02:56 PM
Have used them with and without. Much prefer with. Too much jingling around without and they seem to fit/lay better with.

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:38 PM
not proper to go without and it does serve a function

Alterrain
Sep. 1, 2009, 11:54 PM
For me it depends on how the curb chain attaches. If you use the hooks that most pelhams come with , then yes you need to use a lip strap. If you pry off and throw those hooks away because they are dangerous and can slice your horses nostril open if he scratches his head on his leg (ask me how I know this :) )and attach instead the little mini carabiner-type snaps that lock, then you don't need a lip strap.