PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Article- Hampton Classic

MHM
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:31 PM
Yay! Coverage in mainstream media!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/01/sports/01equestrian.html?ref=sports

TBLover
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:37 PM
My good friend Jill wrote that article. She is an accomplished horsewoman, and really knows her stuff. Its such a pleasure to read an article about show-jumping in the mainstream press that gets it right!

SEFBH87
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:40 PM
Good article, although it doesn't do much for the "elitist" image of the sport, despite mentioning the talent search. I thought that that program was started in hopes of finding talent as opposed to hideous amounts of money?

MHM
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:45 PM
Good article, although it doesn't do much for the "elitist" image of the sport, despite mentioning the talent search. I thought that that program was started in hopes of finding talent as opposed to hideous amounts of money?

I believe the "talent search" referred to an equitation class Mclain won at that horse show some years ago, not the recent program.

I was just glad to see coverage in the Times that did not involve any scandal, which is usually the only time they take any notice of this sport.

hideyourheart03
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:48 PM
Whoa, Hillary's a pro now. I assume she had to do it for the same sort of reasons as Brianne?

DancingQueen
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:55 PM
Yeah, it was a nice article.
I too reacted a little to the part about family wealth or a fairy godmother though. It'd be nice to see a piece that either covers a pro that wasn't born rich or at least stuck to the sporting part of it.

dove
Sep. 1, 2009, 12:10 AM

Well, she was talking about the upper echelons of riding which, to be honest, takes money. It may be elitist but it's the truth. Her comments are very accurate.

DancingQueen
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:26 AM
Not nessecarily, I don't know about the US riders but Eric Lamaze for one didn't come from money at all. I'm sure somebody on this forum will be able to put a list of 10+ american riders who did not come from a lot of money and are still veryu sucessful. Todd Minikus comes to mind as someone who might not have come from $$.

Darragh Kerins for example is not american but came out of nothing and made a name for himself over here by sheer talent and dedication. I knew them way back when Sarah was catch riding to help keep them afloat. Look at where they are now!

It's bs to say that you need money to succeed. It helps but it's not everything. Acting like you have to come out of money to make it in this sport is only going to discourage young talented riders who dream of making horses their life.

I'm not saying it's going to happen to everybody but if you have the talent and you want it enough you can make it happen for yourself. This is America. The land where dreams can come true if you work hard enough to make it so!

dove
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:31 AM
She was talking about the GP at the Hampton Classic. The article was not about riding on a budget. Or succeeding on a budget. It was about the GP riders at the Hampton Classic. I don't see the issue, I guess.

SOTB
Sep. 1, 2009, 12:35 PM
I thought it was a good article and it's true that to compete at that level you need money. It's nice to see the sport getting some media attention.

They also wrote about the show on people.com yesterday:
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20301389,00.html

MHM
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:02 PM
They also wrote about the show on people.com yesterday:
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20301389,00.html

Love the pony-mom pic.

That was also a cute comment from Kelly Ripa's husband about their kid: "She has a couple of ponies, which means we can never retire."

He gets it! :lol:

JER
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:30 PM
It's bs to say that you need money to succeed.

Wrong. You need money to succeed -- if not your own money, then somebody else's.

This is America. The land where dreams can come true if you work hard enough to make it so!

I don't dispute that this is America but you are incorrect in your thesis. The US ranks well below Canada and many European countries in terms of social mobility -- especially in terms of income mobility, where the US ranks quite low. This is a steady trend that began in the 1980s.

In the US, rags-to-riches stories are far outweighed by rags-to-rags stories -- and not due to lack of effort. And as of 2007, income inequality in the US is at an all-time high.

Eric Lamaze is Canadian, BTW.

:)

(Some reference papers here (http://www.bos.frb.org/economic/nerr/rr2002/q4/issues.pdf), here (http://elsa.berkeley.edu/~saez/saez-UStopincomes-2007.pdf) and here (http://futureofchildren.org/futureofchildren/publications/docs/16_02_02.pdf).)

SOTB
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:38 PM
That was also a cute comment from Kelly Ripa's husband about their kid: "She has a couple of ponies, which means we can never retire."

He gets it! :lol:

That made me laugh too! It made me think of when my parents bought my sister her first pony. Our last name was Nickle and my parents gave the pony the show name "Dad's Last Nickle".

MHM
Sep. 1, 2009, 02:04 PM
That made me laugh too! It made me think of when my parents bought my sister her first pony. Our last name was Nickle and my parents gave the pony the show name "Dad's Last Nickle".

I still remember a girl from 25 years ago who named her horse: Thanks Dad! :lol:

findeight
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for posting MHM, and whoever linked to the People feature.

You know, for those complaining about money? One of the trainers of one of these celebrity kids (who also made the Pony the other rode to fame) had pretty humble beginnings and is still not rolling in dough and knee deep in million dollar horses.

There is plenty of opportunity in the sport even if you don't get short listed for the Olympics. Maybe you can go on to train somebody that is. Or breed a horse for them, or break and start a quality prospect that goes on to fame.

JustJump
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:40 PM
Good to see the sport getting "good" press.

Though reading through, it's hard to say what the piece was actually ABOUT.

Hillary? Hillary goes pro? Hillary wins...2 weeks ago? Funny lead.

The USEF looking for talent?

McLain and Saphire winning a big event for the 4th time? She sort of treated that tidbit as incidental.

Guess we should take what we can get, and be glad we got anything.

MHM
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:54 PM
JustJump-

I did think that, too. I would have thought if they only put in one picture from the GP, it should have been the winner from this year, not last year.

But, still, at least it's horse show coverage in the Times.

M. O'Connor
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:31 PM
It's nice of them to run it.

I have a hard time thinking it would fly if handed into a journalism professor, or as an essay assignment.

Though you never know what it looked like when it was turned in--the Times could have chopped it up in editing. You never know.

Still...McClain wins a $250K class, an unprecedented 4th HC Grand Prix, is close to winning a million dollars for the year; Judy Garofolo-Torres is second on her 19 yo partner of 10 years, and last year's winner turning pro is the lead?

That is nuts.

Phaxxton
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:35 PM
Still...McClain wins a $250K class, an unprecedented 4th HC Grand Prix, is close to winning a million dollars for the year; Judy Garofolo-Torres is second on her 19 yo partner of 10 years, and last year's winner turning pro is the lead?

That is nuts.

My guess is that the mainstream population is going to "know" Lou Dobbs's (and therefore "recognize" his daughter by association) more than they will recognize McLain Ward...