PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

preciouspony
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:15 PM
I have decided to graduate high school a semester early because I have more then enough credits and really don't see the need to be there any longer then I have to. Originally, I really wanted to go to FL for the winter circuit to get a job or a working student position at a barn. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about it and wondering what other people would do and if they think it would be possible to get a working student spot/job in FL.

Any other advice on what I could do would be helpful. I'm just keeping my options open right now.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions on what I want to do, etc. :)

juststartingout
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:01 AM
Very possible - you did exactly what my DD did and a number of other kids she knew. There is almost always working student positions in Florida for the circuit - the key is to think about who you want to work for and what your objectives are and get it planned now. Your current trainer may have the connections to help make it happen.

A few words of caution - be very clear about your objectives and your expectations. The work days on the circuit are very long (14 hour days are not at all unusual and working 7 days a week is sort of a given). If you have a horse you are taking, make sure that you discuss what the horse and you will be doing - because you will be fitting it in around the other work. If you don't have a horse and expect to ride - make sure that is arranged in advance. WHile there are some trainers who have sale horses that may be available for you to show - a lot have sale horses that are being shown by professionals and are not availble to working students.

preciouspony
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:07 PM
Thank you for the reply! When you daughter went did she bring a horse to show? I'm not planning on bringing my pony because I want to be able to focus on working and am planning on finding a barn that needs horses to be excercised and ridden. Was she provided living arangements for the barn she worked for? Not sure how far you live from FL. I'm just trying to get an idea of how things work for most people.