PDA

View Full Version : Photo of Roanoke needed

vineyridge
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:19 PM
I've searched the web without success, but have to admit that I haven't looked at all of the 7500 images with "Roanoke thoroughbred stallion" that Google images pulls up. There used to be a photo in the Stallion Registers when he was in Pennsylvania, but now that he's moved to Illinois they are gone. His stallion station didn't answer my email, so I thought I'd ask here.

Anyone got one or know where I can get one? Please? Pretty Please? With sugar on it?

DickHertz
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:36 PM
Can't find one. If only his offspring had a mind to go with their looks.

MMorgan
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:43 PM
Can't find one. If only his offspring had a mind to go with their looks.

Maybe you just aren't lucky, Dick. I have a perfectly lovely mare by Roanoke--she's both beautiful and sane.:D

Laurierace
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah I bred my mare to Roanoke years ago and got a lovely filly. She won first time out by 7 1/2 lengths.

DickHertz
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:14 AM
Most of them are pig-headed bullies. That's why he's not in PA anymore. People got tired of their attitude when breaking them. He didn't leave PA because of the on-track performance of his offspring. Many did well...

redtbred
Sep. 2, 2009, 09:47 AM
My guy is by Roanoke and I had some luck communicating with his stallion station. Guy got back to me, said he was going to send the appropriate "promo" materials (pics etc) but so far nothing has arrived:( I am going to email him back and if I have any luck getting a response I will gladly send you some pics.
My Roanoke gelding is an absolute gem. I think that whatever this line does it does "big". When they are good they are incredible, when they are bad well...
It took awhile to tactfully gain this horses's trust/best performance. He was not the kind you could "muscle" into doing anything.

Showjumper28
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:05 AM
I also have a Roanoke gelding, and at 17.3hh he is huge. Got him because he was a nasty SOB that nobody could even get close to, although now he is sweet as a puppy. However, it took me an incredible amount of time to gain his trust/loyalty. He is a one person kind of horse and would probably jump off a cliff for me.

I may have a picture of him in my computer... I will get back to you if I do.

Showjumper28
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:10 AM
I do have one! I thought I did... but I am unable to post it here.... I can email it to you...

redtbred
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:18 AM
showjumper...you must own my horses twin! Mine is 17.3 (good bone to boot!)
Now that we are best buddies he goes so well that we are the go-to "pony" for the nervous greenies! He LOVES eating. His early training was quite treat/praise oriented to say the least...He has never refused a jump, doesnt spook, and gallops along like a greased cat. He sure has a buck in there but now its more playful than personal. He holds himself in quite high regard, which is fine I don't want to ride a 17.3 hand shrinking violet cross country....

vineyridge
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:24 AM
I'd really appreciate photos. I'm thinking of using him next year for an event horse. The mare is a sweetheart and held up to many years of racing. My email is in my profile here.

Showjumper28
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:25 AM
I just uploaded his picture to my online photo album... so here is a link to Roanoke!

http://sports.webshots.com/photo/2359869680103278208RSRzRb

Redtbred - My guy is beautifully built, well boned and perfectly proportionate, with huge feet. Had a GP rider tell me that he is a very special horse and to take him to the top. I have to say I do love the monster... We still have some pig headed moments under saddle, and he can be quite opinionated, but the sad part is, when he gets that way he is usually right (not that I would ever tell him that.) I have to say his boldness is something to behold. Do you have any pictures of your guy? You can see mine in the link at the bottom of my posts.

vineyridge
Sep. 2, 2009, 05:29 PM
I just uploaded his picture to my online photo album... so here is a link to Roanoke!

Redtbred - My guy is beautifully built, well boned and perfectly proportionate, with huge feet. Had a GP rider tell me that he is a very special horse and to take him to the top. I have to say I do love the monster... We still have some pig headed moments under saddle, and he can be quite opinionated, but the sad part is, when he gets that way he is usually right (not that I would ever tell him that.) I have to say his boldness is something to behold. Do you have any pictures of your guy? You can see mine in the link at the bottom of my posts.

Thank you so much for that. Roanoke is top on my list because of his Sea Bird. My mare has a line to Sea Bird, and the event stallion Mayhill is sireline Sea Bird, so that line is well proven. IMO, Sea Bird was one of the most beautiful TBs ever. :) The mare is small, so additional size would be very welcome. Might even get a chaser from this. :)

Laurierace
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:05 PM
Wow I think it would make a lot more sense to choose a stallion who has already proven that he can throw horses that are capable of doing the job you are looking to have them do. Its still a crap shoot as with any mating but at least its been done before.

vineyridge
Sep. 3, 2009, 06:47 PM
Wow I think it would make a lot more sense to choose a stallion who has already proven that he can throw horses that are capable of doing the job you are looking to have them do. Its still a crap shoot as with any mating but at least its been done before.

I know Roanoke has produced at least one 3* event horse (formerly ridden by Kim Severson) along with some successful chasers. For eventing, that's pretty well proved, given how eventers are found and made. The Sea Bird makes it even more likely since he is also well proved with international level event horses.

hopashore1
Sep. 3, 2009, 07:11 PM
My horse's dam is by Roanoke, and oh my gosh Roanoke looks a lot like my Owen--"Deputy French

Mine can be grumpy, but isn't mean--don't know how he was a younger though.

Alibhai's Alibar
Sep. 3, 2009, 08:20 PM

I was hoping you'd see this thread :D I can vouch- her gelding is very, very handsome!

HandsomeRansom
Sep. 13, 2009, 11:00 PM
Thank you for the picture! My mare is by Roanoke, and I had also been searching for his picture, just so I could check out similarities. Also nice to hear of others with Roanoke babies.
My mare "Gemini Girl", is 17.2, and just a big girl. I heard its pretty common for his babies to be big. I've got some big hopes for this mare. She's a toughie though. Hard to handle on the ground a lot of the time. But reasonably quiet to ride. Haven't started jumping or a regular riding program, so we'll see what she's like when she's fit. She moves nice enough to be a hunter, so I'm hoping that's what we will be, but I'm open to other options ;)