PDA

View Full Version : Getting involved with Braiding, etc in new area?

colbeyjack
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:49 PM
So, here's a bit of an interesting question -- how does one go about getting involved in a horse community in a new place?
I spent years braiding professionally and doing other work (mane pulling, clipping, bodyclipping) up north, starting out with a big barn in the area and working my way into the system through word-of-mouth from barns and other braiders. However, I recently moved down south (Georgia) to an area where I know no one in the horse community. I have connections with a very small local barn, but would like to get back into braiding here and in surrounding areas. I know that braiders can be touchy about people advertising, putting up flyers, etc. at shows, and in general competing. I know what it's like to be a part of the "co-op" of braiders, so to speak (and how I feel about those on the outside!) but am not sure how to go about getting involved when I don't know any trainers, barns, or even the shows in the area (looks like there are several A shows in SC, NC, and some in Atlanta). Any advice? Anyone who has done this? Any contacts I should make?
Thanks for the help!