PDA

View Full Version : I need advice!

TheHunterKid90
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:30 PM
So within the last week I came across an oppurtunity to take over a small lesson program (10 lessons a week) at a boarding farm about 45 minutes away from me. The deal was: $40/lesson, and it's split 50/50 between myself and the barn. Essentially it's $20/an hour. I really think I'm going to enjoy teaching these kids, they're all beginners for the most part and their previous instructor wasn't exactly overly qualified for the position hence their improvement was minimal.
Here's where my problem lies...
I'm going to want to change a few things about the program.
1) The large pony is going in a kimberwicke which she clearly does not need and I hate seeing her getting caught in the mouth by beginners with that bit.
2) They have a Drafty cross (looks a little WBish) that is a pinto...uber cute but SOOOO fat!!! :eek: :eek: we're talking like a 54" girth and she's 15.2ish...my hips hurt after I rode her for 20 minutes! :lol:

How do I/should I approach the owners about these issues? There knowledge lies primarily in the western field and they hired me to expand their english program so they are able to offer both diciplines.

Aside from that, I think I'm going to have a grand time with these kids!
TIA

spmoonie
Aug. 31, 2009, 06:07 PM
I would just kindly explain to them that a kimberwick is not a conventional english bit and that with uneducated hands, it is not a good choice for this pony. As for the fat one, you will probably just have to mention to them that it needs its feed cut back or you need to ride it some to get it in shape. If they were my horses and I was hiring you, I would appreciate that you care about the horses and want the best for them. :)

Gry2Yng
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:11 PM
Agree with PP, but depending on how long/well you know them, you might want to wait a week or two. No one likes to have the new kid come in and change everything. Take some time to see how things go, then ask them if they are interested in a few suggestions based on your first few weeks of employment.

Quin
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:52 PM
Probably going to be easier to change the bit (tack is pretty much under the trainer's control anyhow, unless you are also asking the owners to spend $$ on something) than horse care. I'd change the bit quickly, but wait a little and then ASK about the pony's weight, feeding, any reasons why. There might be a backstory you don't know - or maybe they're just used to hard keepers and never met an air fern before.

A better problem to have than one that's too skinny!