PDA

View Full Version : The Chronicle Wants Your Clinic Reports

Sara Lieser
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hello!

The Chronicle is getting ready to do a website overhaul, and one of the new features on our site will be clinic reports. I know you guys go to a lot of amazing clinics, so if you're interested in sharing your experiences, we'd love to publish your reports.

Send clinic reports to sara@chronofhorse.com. Feel free to send photos as well, although if they were taken by a professional, please let me know. When the new site goes live (in the next month or two), I'll publish your report and photos.

Sonesta
Sep. 1, 2009, 07:08 PM
Great idea! I'll send a report on our upcoming Eddo Hoekstra clinic September 11-13

Sara Lieser
Sep. 2, 2009, 03:14 PM
Great! I'll look forward to it.

Luvthespots
Sep. 2, 2009, 06:25 PM
Sonesta, just try to not do any bending over shots this time!

Invite
Sep. 2, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hi Sara,

I will be riding in the Missy Ransehousen clinic on September 21-22. If you would like a report on this clinic, I would be glad to write one.
Invite

swgarasu
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:49 AM
This sounds really cool!
:cool:

Sara Lieser
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:19 PM
Hi Invite,

I'll look forward to your report. I'm really excited about some of the cool things we're going to do on our new website, and clinic reports will be a great addition!

tobruk
Sep. 3, 2009, 09:22 PM
We've got Yvonne Barteau coming Oct 10 & 11. Will file a report after that.

Kairoshorses
Sep. 4, 2009, 09:37 AM
It's not the report genre, per se, but I do blog all my clinics and such:

http://eventingblogs.blogspot.com/

Ellie&Werther
Sep. 5, 2009, 01:53 AM
I am doing a couple of clinics with Janet Foy this fall/winter and auditing a Conrad Schumacher clinic in October. I would be happy to send something if you are interested.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Sep. 5, 2009, 03:03 AM
Hi Invite,

I'll look forward to your report. I'm really excited about some of the cool things we're going to do on our new website, and clinic reports will be a great addition!

I completely agree!!!!

Invite
Sep. 6, 2009, 05:23 PM
I completely agree!!!!

With Whicker and me at a clinic together, poor Missy might be scarred for life ;) It's going to be such a blast. I'm going to want to go to clinics all the time!

Movin Artfully
Sep. 16, 2009, 10:41 AM
Does anyone have an example of a clinic report? I have ridden some great clinics this late summer/fall and would be happy to share- but need some guidelines!

whicker
Sep. 18, 2009, 10:00 AM
Moving Artfully,

I am sure that Sara will give us some guidelines. Beth and I will be combining our experiences, taking photos to explain and give a feel for what we learn. we will have short bios from the riders, with their permission to share with you.

Anything that we think will be helpful to you, we hope to include. For example, I have arranged to have the on tyte stirrup people there, so the riders can see if they like them as an alternative to rubber banding. There is a manufacturer of sunglasses that fit under helmets that is sending a sample.

Our clinic with Missy is on Monday and Tuesday, September 21-22. You are welcome to let us know what is important to you, and hopefully there will be discussion on the forum.

Enstride
Oct. 4, 2009, 03:43 PM
Has there been any clinic reports posted yet?
We are having Manolo Mendez here Oct. 17th and 18th. We will be sure to send a report but was wondering if any guidelines had been established that we should follow.

Sara Lieser
Oct. 5, 2009, 09:32 AM
A little bit more about clinic reports...

If you go to a clinic—it doesn't have to be with a big name rider, and it doesn't have to be dressage—and you want to tell people about it, then write something about your experiences and email it to me at sara@chronofhorse.com.

It doesn't have to be a certain length, although I'd suggest between 500 and 1500 words. If you have photos, email those to me at the same email address. I need to know who took them, because if they're professional photos, then I have to pay for them before we can use them.

Clinic reports won't be posted on the bulletin board. They'll be posted on our new website, which should launch around the beginning of November. Same address, www.chronofhorse.com, just a whole new look and almost everything will be free.

I'm trying to create a resource where people can share what they learned and learn helpful things from other people's clinic experiences.

If you have other questions, please let me know.

monicabee
Oct. 5, 2009, 11:39 PM
I wrote about a Freestyle clinic with Karen Robinson. I don't know if this is too personal a note or if you want more technical information.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/horsebytes/archives/161433.asp

I would suggest to people doing this that you inform the clinic organizer - and ask anyone whose picture you take (and get the spelling of their name - and their horse's - if there isn't a printed ride list). You will most likely be very welcome -- but if there is someone who objects it is better to know that beforehand. I also don't transcribe all my notes, just give a flavor of what went on. After all clinicians are professionals who do not give away their work.

"Citizen Journalist" is an odd position that comes with all the responsibilities and none of the protections of a professional.

Sara Lieser
Oct. 8, 2009, 11:54 AM
Monicabee has a good point that it would be polite to inform the clinician if you plan to write a report. And please don't send me photos of people who don't know they're about to be featured on www.chronofhorse.com!

However, I really think it's up to the individual how much you want to share of your experience. Remember, if you've had a fabulous experience, your clinic report will only encourage other riders to clinic with the same clinician. I'm not planning to publish clinic reports from disgruntled participants. You'll have to save those for the Forums ;)

Also, while I appreciate people posting links to clinic reports they've already written as examples, I'm not publishing them unless you send them to me in an email. I think it could get tricky if I started wandering around the Internet looking for clinic reports to put on the Chronicle's website.

So if you want your clinic report published on www.chronofhorse.com, send me an email.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Nov. 9, 2009, 09:58 AM
I have about 30 pages of notes (NOT KIDDING) from the Conrad Schumacher clinic I attended last month at Alpine Farm in MN. This would be a really good reason to go back and reread them...

Isabeau Z Solace
Nov. 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
Will start right away on a report of the Mary Wanless clinic we just had Nov 21-23. Too bad there's not room for video !! I've got plenty of that too !

Sara Lieser
Dec. 1, 2009, 01:36 PM
Hey Isabeau,

I'm happy to include video with clinic reports, as long as everyone involved is OK with it. That means the person being videoed and the instructor.

Isabeau Z Solace
Dec. 9, 2009, 06:31 PM
Yes, ok. I have already edited video and obtained the okay from the Instructor and the Rider. The clip I edited is about 4 minutes, though I've got lots more. I think the 4 minutes is good stuff to include in the report. So I will get to typing the report and include a link to the video, it is on youtube.

Thanks !!

Sara Lieser
Dec. 11, 2009, 09:57 PM
Great! Keep the great clinic reports coming!