PDA

View Full Version : Schoolmaster Euphoria -- ever feel that?

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
OMG -- I just started a partial lease on an FEI schoolmaster (mistress, really),
and I just sit up there and smile the whole ride. We have barely a handful of rides under our belts together, but she makes everything so easy (not saying that all the sudden I ride perfectly, but that she just tries to please so hard!!!). She is a perfect example of a non-fancy-moving horse with a great work-ethic (very!) correctly trained by her ammy owner. Riding her is so much fun I almost feel guilty! I hope that every aspiring ammy gets to feel that! :)

AndalusianMom
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:13 PM
Hahahaha! I've felt that pretty much every ride for the last 9 years on my schoolmaster! You're just scratching the surface of how much fun you'll have--as you get better, so will she.
I think of mine as my "dessert horse." The others are more difficult and some days aren't so pretty, but my old boy is pure joy every time!

indyblue
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:32 PM
Yep.I hit the jackpot when I got my guy.Was doing canter half pass with changes in my last lesson and I nearly cried I was so happy.Getting a schoolmaster is the best thing Ive ever done as far as riding goes.:yes:So much fun.

pintopiaffe
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:27 AM
allright... I'll be the first 'downer'... ;)

I love riding schoolmasters and was reticent to admit how important it is... (because poor folk don't often get the chance, and I've always, always seen dressage as The Great Equalizer of sorts...)

And I've had some amazing lessons on some amazing horses. And ridden schoolmasters and mistresses who made me feel like just maybe I *can* ride...

And then comes the Great Humbling. :uhoh: Bringing your first one up from unbacked, through the levels, by yourself.

Suddenly those movements you COULD do, and sometimes even somewhat reasonably respectively.... :sigh: :no: :lol:

Good for you. I think that time spent with a schoolmaster is priceless.

We have them to show us how it CAN be done... and how great we COULD be, then we move on to the greenies to humble us again. :winkgrin:

indyblue
Sep. 1, 2009, 02:07 AM
Hearing you .Ive had my fair share of greenies and have only been able to train them through level three as I have never had the opportunity to train higher and I seem to get stuck there.Now Im learning the upper level movements I feel like next time I will know what the end result is supposed to feel like and it will help me to get there (one hopes).My mare is currently brewing my next DQ and I really want to have improved my riding for this one.

slc2
Sep. 1, 2009, 06:18 PM
Riding schoolmasters is fun and an important part of a rider's education as the schoolmaster notifies the rider of his errors. But there is a lot of satisfaction in achieving something on one's own horse.

Dressage Art
Sep. 1, 2009, 06:24 PM
Yes I did and honestly that lead to a thinking that I can do that on any horse... until I got on the 5 year old and nothing worked and my whole world was turned upside down... Enjoy, but be careful not to get a big head ;)

Carol O
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:32 PM
Yes, I have had these wonderful moments.... but.... I think some of my best learning moments have come when my wonderful schoolmaster has handed me a load of "manure" and then waited to see how I might try to work it all out. For you guys who have not been blessed with the SM experience, it is not always dreamlike....

BTW, I do hope you all get the experience on a SM. We all need more of that. It just isn't always perfect. In fact much of the time, it is way less than perfect, but that is how we learn!

Sunsets
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:41 PM
My trainer has an FEI schoolmaster. Wonderful horse. One magical day, she was riding him in the arena as I walked into the barnyard. She said, "hey, come on over and have a ride."

Of course, I was thrilled. Walked, trotted, and then picked up the canter. Picked up the canter from the walk, even. Like floating on a cloud - I had the BIGGEST smile on my face.

And then, he spooked, and I fell off. :yes:

Dressage Art
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:45 PM
Sunsets, that was :lol: priceless!

mbm
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:48 PM
omg :lol::lol::lol:

gotta love horses :lol::lol:

Sunsets
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:00 PM
Yep. Haven't ridden that horse since that incident. I have a tendancy to clutch and grab and freeze up when things go bad. It was a long way down.

If there is a next time, I will be sure to sit up and use my core.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Sep. 3, 2009, 01:07 PM
No worries, I have had enough exposure to realize that just because this fabulous horse is doing it all for me, doesn't mean any other horse would :winkgrin:. I've been lucky enough to have had a schoolmaster before, and am able to hop on some very nice FEI horses at my barn on occasion. I am also working with my very own OTTB (talk about a humbling experience ;)!), but he has limitations that probably won't allow him to ever go beyond 2nd level. All of the above horses are great teachers and I've learned tons from them. Often it wasn't pretty (on my part) or easy or even fulfilling at the time. But my new girl is special. My point was that besides being a schoolmaster, this mare is also a one-in-a-million horse in terms of her work ethic and compatibility with me! Hence my happiness and appreciation of the situation -- and the slight feeling of guilt of not having to work too hard to the good stuff! With hopefully no effect on my head size :lol:.