PDA

View Full Version : Free at last!

Laurierace
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:01 PM
I am going to be relatively vague as this forum has been very good to me over the years and I don't want to tred on the no advertising policy.
It has long been my dream to train from a training center as opposed to being at a race track. I hated having a racing secretary hanging over my head. They are always threatening to take your stalls away if you don't race often enough or God forbid have to ship a horse out of town to race. When Pimlico closed a year ago tomorrow I lost my owners and my business because I was not willing to go to Bowie. Its just too far and didn't make any financial sense.
I moved into a training center with my one and only horse last week and am loving it! I have trained on the dirt track a couple of times and galloped in the huge field on the grass. There is so much grass in the paddocks that I had to limit my horse's turnout at first to make sure he didn't founder. I cool him out by taking him for a walk in the woods. Its a horse paradise!
So I am going to give this training thing one last try. I want to concentrate on horses who are already racing as I think its too quiet there to get a baby mentally ready for the stressors of racing. I am working on creating a new page on my website outlining all the amenities this place offers and then I will start networking with former clients and see what happens from there. The best part is it is six minutes from my house. Hooray!
If nothing else I know when my own horse is ready to race again I can take him wherever I want to. That is priceless!!!

War Admiral
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:05 PM
That sounds awesome! Congrats and enjoy!

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:12 PM
GOOD LUCK!!!

Zu Zu
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:41 PM
HOW GRAND FOR YOU !!! GOOD-LUCK !!! MOST OF ALL ENJOY !!!!!

Blinkers On
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:59 PM
Good for you! Nothing like a change of place sometimes to get the juices pumping!

KBEquine
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:50 PM
Congrats & best of luck - and keep reporting in on how its going. I imagine your horse is thanking you as much as you're thanking your lucky stars!

Frog
Aug. 31, 2009, 06:01 PM
Get more horses! :)

That's a pretty awesome commute!

foundationmare
Aug. 31, 2009, 07:39 PM
I'm jealous!! I completely understand your anti-racetrack mentality and sometimes it's the on-the-farm training that works miracles for horses. (OTOH, I love to be on the backside in an ideal situation).

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Ishi
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:14 PM
Congrats~doesn't get much better then a short commute and it sounds lovely there. Sounds lovely!

Barnfairy
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:54 PM
That sounds wonderful Laurie. It's nice to hear you sound so happy. Congratulations, and good luck!

I wish it were possible for more horses to train like this. The whole "race often or lose your stall" thing is just not in the best interest of the horses.

ivy62
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:02 PM
This is wonderful news! I think our horses are so tied up at the track and nervous etc..a training center more like they do in Europe I think is great! Good luck and get more horses !!!!!! Let us know when your horse runs....

Laurierace
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:48 PM
Well without giving too much away suffice to say that there has already been one triple crown winner who trained at this farm. And no its not Fair Hill. Thanks everyone! Edited to say I meant one triple crown RACE winner, not the whole shebang!

Acertainsmile
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a great plan! I know where you are, beautiful place! :)

Addison
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:41 AM
Good luck to you.

I always enjoy your posts and perspectives....I hope you will keep post a bit more about your new situation once you settle in.

Quinn
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:58 AM
Laurie, that sounds wonderful. Best of the best for you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

texang73
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:05 AM
Sounds awesome, good luck and have fun!

up-at-5
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:24 AM
Congrats, Laurie!!! Sounds like things are going great for you. Keep us updated on how things progress.

BTW, Adelaide is going to her first dressage show this weekend.....my, how time flies..it's been a year since you helped us get her:)

Laurierace
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:23 AM
Good luck with her. I knew just by looking at her that she would be wonderful for dressage.
Today marks the year anniversary of them closing down Pimlico and throwing everyone out. What a sad year its been too. Hopefully that is going to change now. I took some good pictures of the place today, I am going to go back and train my horse in a while and get a few action shots. I think it would be ok to post some of them here but I am also working on creating a page on my website with more info.

Laurierace
Sep. 1, 2009, 11:35 AM
Here's what Ray Ray looks like after his first 24 hour turnout session in his life.

Mara
Sep. 1, 2009, 11:43 AM
Get more horses! :)

That's a pretty awesome commute!

No kidding - she falls out of bed and she's there! Congrats and good luck.

Barnfairy
Sep. 1, 2009, 11:48 AM
Here's what Ray Ray looks like after his first 24 hour turnout session in his life.ZOMG! His legs have stopped working! Looks like he's got it pretty rough. :winkgrin:

Equilibrium
Sep. 1, 2009, 12:50 PM
Laurie,

Congratualtions and I wish you nothing but the best. Don't sell yourself short on training youngsters. You'd be surprised what you can get done and just how much a horse takes in even when it's quiet.

Best of Luck!!!!
Terri

Laurierace
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:43 PM
Here are a few glimpses of paradise.

Alibhai's Alibar
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
Congratulations and best of luck to you.

SEPowell
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:43 PM
Wow! That's great, and it does look like paradise.

I was looking at CANTER and saw a nice sounding give away named Crusinwithcharlie. I looked up his pp and saw that you had him for a while. What did you think of him?

Laurierace
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:53 PM
He broke his sesamoid at some point after he was claimed from my owner. They contacted me and asked if I wanted him and I said no but that I would help them find him a home. I never heard back from them after that. He was off for quite a while and then he had several starts in a row. I am not sure if it was the same people that had him before or not.
Anyway, my guess is his sesamoid flared up again but I don't know that for sure.
He is right around 16 hands I would say and built pretty nicely. He could be hot when race fit but was always a gentleman. I hope he gets a good home this time around.

animaldoc
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:55 PM
Sounds like a great situation for you!

SleepyFox
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:32 PM
Laurie, that looks like a lovely facilty. I hope you have much success stabled there.

AiryFairy
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:35 PM
Here's what Ray Ray looks like after his first 24 hour turnout session in his life.

Damn, that's the nicest stall I've ever seen, that'd give my feather bed a run for its money! Can I come live in your barn?