PDA

View Full Version : Weight Gain Supplement?

MoonRiver5
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:52 PM
Anyone know of a weight gain supplement that works well without making them high as a kite? Thanks in advance.

Timex
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:55 PM
I've had luck with a product called performance pak. Something like 95%+ fat, from vegetable oils.

RyuEquestrian
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:56 PM
I've got to put in a plug for Benefat by Progressive. We had two horses that we used it on and gave 3 scoops a day to, and I swear it did the work in a two weeks and they weren't high as kites! I love the progressive line, we've had great success with all of the products we've used.

TeamBrickman
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:43 PM
I've tried several, and have had the best luck with rice bran pellets. I usually start with a quart or so (about half a common plastic feed scoop) and adjust up or down, as necessary.

As a bonus, the added fat does great things for their coats and manes.

veebug22
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:20 PM
I love Cool Calories. I've used it on my gelding and my late mare, both of whom can/could be very hot. We also used it at a barn I used to manage on a number of TB types who had trouble gaining and maintaining weight. All of them gained weight and were happy to eat it. It's very reasonably priced, and easy to find (a lot of feed stores carry it). It smells like pixie sticks! I like corn oil for weight gain too, but Cool Cals is less messy.

hossluva
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:23 PM
Rice bran and vegtable oil; my "never fails" fix it, keeps all the extra feed movin' on through, just the way we like it. :-)

cajunbelle
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:30 PM
Gleam and Gain gives you that extra something and pretty dapples. I give corn oil once a day also.

showponies
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:47 PM
I have used cool cals and high fat rice bran..both with good results...

tcgelec
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:54 PM
Another vote for vegetable oil and rice bran.

two sticks
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have had a lot of luck with weight builder.

I've also used soaked beat pulp and had a lot of help with it putting on weight but I think it can make some horses a little bit "up"

VirginiaBred
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:08 PM
Fat-Cat, hands down. Results start to show in two weeks. WORD. :yes:

Great price here as well: http://millerharness.com/product.asp?pn=X4-222105&sid=froogle&CATALOG_CODE=DX821&EID=X4821001&zmam=1460880&zmas=3&zmac=62&zmap=X4-222105&bhcd2=1251767150

JB
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:33 PM
'twould really help to know what's being fed now, as sometimes it's not a matter of adding more, but getting rid of (and possibly replacing) something currently being fed ;)

Bogie
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:34 PM
Oil. Added weight to my TB and seems to have made him calmer.

Seven-up
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:23 PM
Fat-Cat, hands down. Results start to show in two weeks. WORD. :yes:

Great price here as well: http://millerharness.com/product.asp?pn=X4-222105&sid=froogle&CATALOG_CODE=DX821&EID=X4821001&zmam=1460880&zmas=3&zmac=62&zmap=X4-222105&bhcd2=1251767150

I thought Fat Cat added energy? I have been avoiding this because I figured it would make my horse nuts. Is that untrue?

As to the OP, I am using Cool Calories on my horse right now, and am seeing so-so results, but I think it's my horse, not the supplement. I have heard others rave about it. It has not made her wacko.

spmoonie
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:25 PM
I used corn oil and alfalfa to get weight on my guy. Worked like a charm and made his coat super shiny. He has actually calmed down quite a bit since he started his new diet too. :)

Callison
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:52 PM
I've used Cool Calories... HATED it.. Used it for 6 months figuring I just needed to give it time before I would see results.. Barely saw any.
Weight Builder was so-so.
FatCat was AWESOME! But with adding energy it just wasn't worth it, he didn't get horribly crazy but then again he's already half crazy so it might not have done all that much to him! Just hard to tell.
SmartGain4 seems to work fairly well. He gets rice bran and also I have added corn oil to his feed and it keeps him at a pretty good weight for him.

My OTTB is naturally very slim so he's never going to put a lot of weight on. I just want him to have a good topline and not be able to see his ribs.

gottagrey
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:53 PM
The trainer/manager where I board is a huge fan of Athlete. It produces great results is a rather short period of time.. It helps build muscle and doesn't make the horses nutso - at least that hasn't been our experience. What is great about the Athlete is that you use it to supplement your feed so while it's expensive it's not really too bad because you would cut down the normal amount of grain. here is a link to the product information - Purina apparently has a supplement and feed, I would opt for the supplement.

http://horse.purinamills.com/products/athlete.asp

VirginiaBred
Sep. 1, 2009, 04:32 AM
I thought Fat Cat added energy? I have been avoiding this because I figured it would make my horse nuts. Is that untrue?

I have yet to see an ounce of energy on mine and I've used it on at least 6 here, ponies and TBs.

Seven-up
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:51 AM
Hmm...Fat Cat has one vote for crazy and one vote for not crazy. I may have to give it a shot.

dwblover
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:07 AM
Farnam weight builder or plain old corn oil.

mypaintwattie
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:42 PM
Cool Calories- my horse has put on the pounds finally- it took about 2 weeks before I saw a difference, and it does not make her hot. I used rice bran and oil in the past with limited success, on the Cool Calories she has just bloomed!

JB
Sep. 1, 2009, 02:02 PM
It amazes me the number of suggestions, and the different products, offered in questions like this (which happen ALL the time), when there is NO information on what the horse is currently eating.

For all we know the OP doesn't know anything about feeding and her 1500lb horse is getting 10lb of hay a day and that's all ;) Not that I REALLY think that, but it has happened, so I never rule it out.

Maybe the horse hasn't been correctly dewormed in 5 years and the OP is feeding parasites.

Maybe the diet is high in sugars and counterproductive to weight gain.

Really, think about it - figure out how the horse is being managed first.

Prima Donna
Sep. 1, 2009, 02:53 PM
I tried fat cat and cool calories with no real results. When I changed barns and my mare got higher quality hay, she really filled out. Might want to check the kind of hay you're feeding and try something else for a few months to see if that makes a difference.

As to the OP, I am using Cool Calories on my horse right now, and am seeing so-so results, but I think it's my horse, not the supplement. I have heard others rave about it. It has not made her wacko.

Equinoxfox
Sep. 1, 2009, 03:31 PM
We have my yearling on Fat Cat and it is great. !!! :D
we are also feeding him a bucket of denge daily . it is a good supplement and he loves that stuff . it seems very good also . It comes in large bags chopped and ready and during mid day . we hang a bucket in his stall and he munches on it thoroughout the day . But he also gets a good quality PA. hay . :yes:

Bogie
Sep. 1, 2009, 05:33 PM
How true!

Years ago I had a horse that was just a tad skinny. I changed her to a higher fat feed (Vintage Victory), I fed her rice bran, etc.

Finally I had a nutritionist out. He reviewed what I was feeding her and then in the kindest way pointed out that VV is a very light weight feed and I was feeding by volume rather than by weight. (1 Quart of VV weighed about 14 oz whereas a Qt of Strategy weighed 20 oz).

He told me at the time that many times when people consult with him because their horses are underweight, they are simply not feeding their horses enough.

I felt foolish but was glad the problem was so easy to solve :lol:.

It amazes me the number of suggestions, and the different products, offered in questions like this (which happen ALL the time), when there is NO information on what the horse is currently eating.

For all we know the OP doesn't know anything about feeding and her 1500lb horse is getting 10lb of hay a day and that's all ;) Not that I REALLY think that, but it has happened, so I never rule it out.

Maybe the horse hasn't been correctly dewormed in 5 years and the OP is feeding parasites.

Maybe the diet is high in sugars and counterproductive to weight gain.

Really, think about it - figure out how the horse is being managed first.

Seven-up
Sep. 1, 2009, 08:53 PM
I tried fat cat and cool calories with no real results. When I changed barns and my mare got higher quality hay, she really filled out. Might want to check the kind of hay you're feeding and try something else for a few months to see if that makes a difference.

Unfortunately I suspect hay to be part of the problem. She came from CA and was said to stay roly poly on just rye hay. I don't know the nutritional content of rye hay but it must be better than what I've got. In LA our hay selection is limited. We have bahaia & alicia, both grass hays. Bahaia is usually junk, so I always try to get alicia, which is nicer but still not fantastic. The alfalfa that's available isn't that great either. It comes in those compressed bales that are mostly pulverized into dust. By the time you pull off a flake and put it in the stall, half of it has fallen out! And they're still crazy expensive. Unless I ship hay in from halfway across the country, (which just isn't economically possible right now) those are the choices I'm stuck with.

We're planning on reseeding the winter pasture with rye, so I hope that will help. I guess I need to look into adding some alfalfa pellets or something. I just switched her feed, so I'm going to see how that goes for a couple weeks before I add anything else.

Didn't mean to hijack, but that's the story. :lol:

MoonRiver5
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:21 AM
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I would be happy to share what we are currently feeding and a little about him. He's a 7-year-old Dutch Warmblood/Thoroughbred cross and is about 16.3hh. He is in regular work and shows about 1-2 times per month. He's currently on 2 quarts of 10% pellets and 2 quarts of Omelene 200, which has the Amplify supplement in the feed itself. He gets about a bale of hay per day and is on night turnout in a big grass field for about 12 hours per night. As to supplements, right now I am giving him Grand Complete, which is a multi-vitamin supplement, and A.B.C.'s Plus, which aids with digestion and nutrient absorption. He's on a regular rotational worming program, gets a panacure pak once a year, sees the dentist every 6 months and gets regularly vaccinated, etc. So I don't think those things are factors but I do appreciate that in certain cases, they can be. I have not had him scoped for ulcers yet, but am considering doing so if I can't increase his weight, although he has a great appetite and doesn't show signs of discomfort. Again, I appreciate all the suggestions and welcome any additional advice you have based on this information.

meupatdoes
Sep. 2, 2009, 10:42 AM
I am reading this thread with great interest because I have one that would like to do the Whippet Under Saddle division in his next outing.

He currently gets
-4 pounds of Pennfield (and that is the limit on grain because he has a colic surgery history)
-free choice hay (timothy grass)
-cocosoya
-smart digest ultra
-body builder
-and he is on a daily dewormer

He is worked roughly four times a week for about 45 minutes and is on overnight turnout on grass with hay in the hay rack.

Tell me what else to do to make this eff horse gain weight.
I don't care if it makes him high as a kite, whatever he rodeos I will gladly stick if he would just gain 200 pounds already.

Here he is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwb_aGNWIA) in February but he looks basically the same.

I am considering soaking alfalfa cubes overnight and giving those. Y/N?

JB
Sep. 2, 2009, 11:11 AM
He's a 7-year-old Dutch Warmblood/Thoroughbred cross and is about 16.3hh.
Do you know about how much he weighs?

He's currently on 2 quarts of 10% pellets and 2 quarts of Omelene 200, which has the Amplify supplement in the feed itself.
What is the "10% pellet", and why does he get 2 different types of feed? Omelene, all varieties, is a glorified sweet feed, more or less. It's quite high in sugars - in face, O 200 was used specifically for that high-sugar reason in this study (http://jas.fass.org/cgi/reprint/79/6/1516.pdf) to look at the digestibility of hay when fed a concentrate. The last NSC value of O 200 I had was about 45% :eek: Other studies have shown that diets high in sugar can actually cause weight loss. Head over to the Health forum and you can find, within the first 5 pages I'm pretty sure, at least 2 threads on how going grain-free (really meaning low sugar diets) has greatly benefited the horses both in terms of weight and mental status.

He gets about a bale of hay per day and is on night turnout in a big grass field for about 12 hours per night.
Ok, sounds like forage is covered :) How big are the bales?

He's on a regular rotational worming program, gets a panacure pak once a year,
What does "regular" mean? How are you determining his weight so you aren't under-dosing? If you're using fenbendazole or pyrantel pamoate (ie Safeguard, Strongid) those are wasted rotations as they are too ineffective.

horsegirl123
Sep. 2, 2009, 11:17 AM
My vote is for Rice Bran pellets. I have tried multiple things on my TB with very little success. We just switched him 2 weeks ago and have already seen a big change. His topline is looking good and he is really filling out in other places. Good luck and I feel your pain.