PDA

View Full Version : MTB: Smith off, Borel back on

Glimmerglass
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:10 PM
About as "shocking" as the news of MTB skipping the Travers ;)

DRF 8-31 "Borel to reunite with Mine That Bird" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/106845.html)

Calvin Borel, who guided Mine That Bird to his 50-1 upset in the Kentucky Derby, will be back aboard the gelding for his next two starts - the $350,000 Goodwood Stakes on Oct. 10 and the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic on Nov. 7 - trainer Chip Woolley confirmed Monday morning.

In fact this morning (8-31) Borel worked MTB in a four-furlong workout in 51.16 seconds over Saratoga's main track Monday morning. Daily Racing Form caught Mine That Bird in fractions of 13.73 seconds, 26.78, and got him galloping out five furlongs in 1:03.16.

Next steps - as cited in the Saratoga thread - is to leave Spa on Tuesday morning. After a one-night layover in El Paso, Texas, Mine That Bird was due to arrive in Ruidoso Downs on Wednesday. Mine That Bird is scheduled to lead the post parade for the $2 million All America Futurity (QH) at Ruidoso Downs on September 7th.

War Admiral
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:04 PM
Was just coming here to post this - you beat me to it! :D

Glimmerglass
Sep. 1, 2009, 02:33 PM
MTB should be somewhere at or near Memphis, TN about now ....

Trainer Chip Woolley said the gelding will leave the Saratoga stakes barn at 3 in the morning for a trip to Newark International Airport in New Jersey where he’ll get on a Federal Express plane for a flight to Memphis and then onto El Paso, Texas.

“I wish we were going to Albany (International),’’ Woolley said at the stakes barn Sunday morning. “He’ll go to Memphis but they won’t unload him; he’ll just stay on the plane while they make their changes.’’

As for the Breeders' Cup Classic - per the DRF - punting outfit William Hill in the UK has early odds (http://www.drf.com/news/article/106873.html):

Sea the Stars is Hill's 7-2 choice in the Classic, although he is no more than a possible for the race at this stage.

Zenyatta, who has yet to face males in any of her 12 victories, is Hill's second favorite in the Classic at 4-1 with Belmont Stakes and Travers winner Summer Bird at 6-1, Hollywood Gold Cup winner Rail Trip 10-1, Quality Road and Einstein 12-1, Tiago 16-1 and Mine That Bird 20-1.