PDA

View Full Version : Tall boots for muscular calves

Laura855
Aug. 31, 2009, 01:47 PM
I am in desperate need of new show boots and it seems like I have the most bizzare shapped leg ever! My calves are muscular and very defined (14") but I have a slim ankle and small knee. Boots that fit my calf are always huge around my knee and look very sloppy. I am don't have the longest legs in the world (17" from floor to back of knee). I was hoping to spend under $1,000 and not have to get full custom boots. I tried the Ariat Monaco which fit my foot great but the reg calf was too small and the full calf fit my calf but was huge and gaped around my knee. I live in Las Vegas so no tack shops to go try other brands on, have to ship.

Do you think the Der-Dau Countour might work better? Sergio Grasso? I show in the hunters and eq at A shows so need something that looks the part. Do any of the off the shelf boots taper a lot at the knee to give a snug fit?

theblondejumper
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:20 PM
I've heard that Mountain Horse boots are good for us with larger/muscular claves. 14"! Heck I'm almost at 16"! I ended up getting zippers put in my boots.

Hunter Mom
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:25 PM
Muscular calves. Got 'em. Dublin wide calf boots fit well - and have a decent contour to the top. Not sure how much, but they don't gap. Inexpensive, too.

CassandraMarie
Aug. 31, 2009, 06:30 PM
Man I wish I had my tall boots with me here in KY, I left them in LA. I don't recall what brand they are (not a big name) but they're definitely good for a muscular calf. They are actually too big on me now because I've lost some weight and my calves have gotten really lean from galloping. What size foot are you? I only wore these boots maybe 7 or 8 times at most. Now I need to get these taken in or just buy a new pair

LoriW
Aug. 31, 2009, 07:27 PM
muscular calves - check
chubby calves - check
Mountain Horse tall field boots - perfection!

Laura855
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:07 PM
I really like the look (and price!) of the Mountain Horse Supreme but they are just way to tall for me. The other Mountain Horse styles look like they might not be suitable for the A circuit hunter world. The funny thing is that I don't have chubby calves, they are very lean and defined and no kankles, but very hard to fit. If I was a few inches taller it would be much easier! Has anyone tried the sergio Grassos? They seem to have a lot of size options. Or the off the shelf Der-Dau?

Jo
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:12 PM
There is another Mt. Horse field boot - I believe it's called the Richmond. I loved it and the fit was even better than the upper-crust Ariats I tried on.

tcgelec
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:52 PM
19" calves! (I'm a guy) Just got custom Dehners for 800.00 and LOVE them. Not sure about the narrow ankle...but as they're custom I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

Dramapony_misty
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:12 AM
The Richmonds are great an would be fine for the A-Circuit. They refined them a bit and took off that metal logo piece that was found on the original Richmonds. The elastic gusset blends into the boot and cannot be seen from the middle of the ring. I've stewarded a few times and when I was looking at the boots, I made a point to figure out what competitiors were wearing them and looked to see how the boots looked in the ring. I couldn't see a difference unless I was really close. "From a distance of 5 feet..." (as I like to say), you would be fine showing in the Richmonds.

I did buy a pair and they hold up great, the zippers haven't caused me any trouble, are super comfy, and really do wear like iron. :)

rottngirl
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:26 AM
My measurements are pretty much identical to yours and I have never ever had so much trouble finding footwear in my whole life :lol:

I am 5'5" with a size 7.5 foot, 14" calves, and 17" behind the knee.

I am currently in the Der Dau Contour's from Dover in a size 7.5 Medium and they fit BEAUTIFULLY in the leg :winkgrin: Note though that the footbed is hard and flat and there isn't much room for an insole unless you size up. **

But they fit like soft leather gloves, really fabulous!!

I had two pair of defective :mad: Ariat Crowne Pro's as well in 7.5 Med Reg that fit just fine. If both pair hadn't been totally messed up I would have gladly kept them, the footbed was fabulously comfortable. But the leather was VERY STIFF and uncomfortable around the ankle and shaft.

Hope this helps a bit and hope that a perfect boot is found -- for both of us! :cool:

I really like the look (and price!) of the Mountain Horse Supreme but they are just way to tall for me. The other Mountain Horse styles look like they might not be suitable for the A circuit hunter world. The funny thing is that I don't have chubby calves, they are very lean and defined and no kankles, but very hard to fit. If I was a few inches taller it would be much easier! Has anyone tried the sergio Grassos? They seem to have a lot of size options. Or the off the shelf Der-Dau?

Sarabeth
Sep. 3, 2009, 10:32 AM
Sergio Grasso is great, they have very fitted ankles if you want that.
Beval Puissance is also good. Both are available in shorter lengths and are well under $1000.

kdriding
Sep. 3, 2009, 02:08 PM
My daughter and I have large calves. I am an 18 not matter how skinny I am and she is a 16 in the calf. We both wear the Mountain Horse Richmond boots and she shows both locally and on the A circuit and does well. We love the boots.

jbbj
Sep. 5, 2009, 12:04 AM
Beval Pussiance has a myriad of sizing, especially if you are tall and played a lot of ball in college!

make x it x so
Sep. 5, 2009, 12:12 AM
I have thick, short calves, and Der Dau Semi-Customs fit me. Not to mention they're buttery soft, and by far the comfiest tall boots I have owned (I haven't owned many, but god they're so nice!). Mine are a little big in the ankle, but they're not zipups so that's to be expected from the dropping and because you have to be able to fit your foot into the boot.

I hope to get a pair of custom Der Daus eventually, but these are holding up very well and I don't know when I'll have an excuse to!

ADD526
Sep. 5, 2009, 07:34 AM
my friend is kind of short with really muscular calfs and tinyyyy ankles from volleyball. I do not know her measurements but she recently got rectilignes. they fit her sooo nice they look custom.

JinxyFish313
Sep. 5, 2009, 10:52 AM
19" calves! (I'm a guy) Just got custom Dehners for 800.00 and LOVE them. Not sure about the narrow ankle...but as they're custom I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

Looking at your location....let me guess, Barry made them for you?

I had really nice Dehners made for my wide and depressingly short calves when I was about 13 and they didn't break the bank then either. The Vogels I've been wearing for the last two years keep breaking (zippers) so I showed in my 10 year old Dehners a few weeks ago. They're a little short now, but still looked and felt great :)

Laura855
Sep. 6, 2009, 02:35 PM
The Der Dau Comfort sounds like it might be worth a try. The only thing I don't like about them is the laces, I prefer the kind that don't actually have a tie like the Ariat. For those of you who have the mountain Horse: Did you find them overly tall? Seems like they are way taller than other brands as per their measurements.

Rottngirl: Did the Ariat Crowns fit well height wise? Did you have the zippered ones or pull on?

Sarabeth
Sep. 6, 2009, 07:16 PM
For those of you who have the mountain Horse: Did you find them overly tall? Seems like they are way taller than other brands as per their measurements. Yes. I tried those and shipped them right back to dover - way too tall.

Made me sad, because I formerly had their schooling boots (the clunky looking ones) and those fit perfectly.

rottngirl
Sep. 7, 2009, 07:10 PM
The Der Dau Comfort sounds like it might be worth a try. The only thing I don't like about them is the laces, I prefer the kind that don't actually have a tie like the Ariat. For those of you who have the mountain Horse: Did you find them overly tall? Seems like they are way taller than other brands as per their measurements.

Rottngirl: Did the Ariat Crowns fit well height wise? Did you have the zippered ones or pull on?

The Crowne Pro's fit perfectly but the leather was very thick and stiff. The footbed was fabulous. Unfortunately after two defective pairs I tried something else.

the height on the 7.5 Medium was 18" and dropped beautifully after about 6 wears (my behind the knee from floor to tendon is 17")

the Regular calf at 13.75" was a perfect snug fit around my 14" calf

They were the zipper version.

Laura855
Sep. 8, 2009, 10:10 AM
Sounds like I need to try the Der Daus, I hate the stiff leather. I only wish they had the same type of laces that the Ariats did, without the tie. I think it looks cleaner. I also really like the footbed of the Ariat but these won't be for everyday so not a deal breaker. Hopefully they'll fit! Thanks for the input.

rottngirl
Sep. 8, 2009, 11:48 AM
Good luck! I think you will love them, the leather is buttery soft. :yes:

And buy them from Dover who stands behind their products!! If they don't work for you they are totally exchangable/returnable.

Sounds like I need to try the Der Daus, I hate the stiff leather. I only wish they had the same type of laces that the Ariats did, without the tie. I think it looks cleaner. I also really like the footbed of the Ariat but these won't be for everyday so not a deal breaker. Hopefully they'll fit! Thanks for the input.

VA_Hunter_Aside
Sep. 8, 2009, 12:18 PM
muscular calves - check
chubby calves - check
Mountain Horse tall field boots - perfection!

I could not have said it better myself!!! I LOVE my MH tall dress boots. The only thing I don't like about them is the foot tread. I have that stirrup control system on the bottom but I don't have the stirrup pads to go with so the balls of my feet get a little sore after a long ride. But with a 17" wide, muscular AND chubby, calf they are the only boots that fit AT ALL! Just wish they made them shorter.