PDA

View Full Version : Help an eventer with her eq?

Crazy_Eventer
Aug. 30, 2009, 10:29 PM
HELP!! :lol: I've been eventing all summer again after doing the college IHSA eq team and of COURSE have reverted back to my eventer ways :D Can anyone give me a few pointers before I go back to school? I feel like the problem is mostly in my release (I'm too tight in my elbows/shoulders) while also dropping my upper body a little bit too much...thoughts?

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orderpage.aspx?pi=08JQ014F060040&po=40

^[I have a feeling the link might be a bit off so just skip to pictures 41-45 to see the stadium-unless of course you would like a demonstration of how NOT to wow the dressage judge :lol: )

http://www.flatlandsfoto.com/competitionphotos/2009%20albums/Huntington-071209/HTML/index.htm

http://lhphotography.printroom.com/ViewGalleryPhoto.asp?evgroupid=0&userid=lhphotography&gallery_id=1664027&image_id=67&pos=61

Crazy_Eventer
Aug. 30, 2009, 10:32 PM
oops can't get second link to work :( sorry

Crazy_Eventer
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:28 PM
Really? over one hundred views and no replies? bump

KateKat
Aug. 31, 2009, 06:35 PM
I'm no expert and I think the angle of some of the pics exaggerate this but it looks like you are pinching a bit with your knee, causing you to jump ahead a little. And not much, I think you actually look pretty durned good! I think if you focus on your lower leg and not pinching with your knee, allowing your hip angle to close naturally and letting the horse come to you, you will find yourself not feeling as tight in your release. And super cute horse!

jumpingmaya
Aug. 31, 2009, 06:53 PM
Not a trainer here but I would tend to agree with you... you are a bit too tight in your release (shoulder-elbow combination)... and like someone else mentioned, you look like you might be pinching with your knee a bit...
Maybe try doing some no-stirrup work and really sink in your saddle... the knee pinching could also cause your body to come too far down.
On another note, your back is beautiful and you look straight up...
Really not bad at all :winkgrin: just relax in your knee and release and you should be fine :yes:
Good luck

jumpsnake
Aug. 31, 2009, 06:55 PM
I too am an eventer. I think you are pinching with your knee and dropping forward too much instead of letting the horse close your angles. EXACTLY what I do, so I feel for ya!

More of a release would be nice. Is that horse strong?

SillyHorse
Aug. 31, 2009, 06:57 PM
It looks like you are just kind of "tilting" forward over the fences, without letting your hands follow. While at first glance your reins don't look long, they're long enough that your hands are at the withers and there is way too much angle in your elbows. Ideally, you want to stay in the middle of the horse by moving your bum toward the back of the saddle over the fence.

I think if you work on strengthening your core and your legs you'll be less inclined to feel you have to balance on your hands over the jumps. My crystal ball shows lots of two point, with and without stirrups, in your future. :yes:

Fabulous horse, by the way.

Crazy_Eventer
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:27 PM
Thanks :) lots of two point and no stirrups for me haha he is a cute isn't he? ;) it's our first season together and he's been a superstar-but yes, he can be a little bit strong sometimes (you know how those ex-racehorses get sometimes :lol: )