PDA

View Full Version : Bit Suggestions for a Parrot Mouthed TB

Trevelyan96
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:11 PM
I'm trying to find the right bit for my new guy. He's a bit parrot mouthed, and vet says his incisors are lined up funny. So far I've tried him in a frech link Eggbut, French Link Loose Ring, Happy Mouth with center roller. He spends all his energy trying to get his tongue over the bit! My next try will me a Myler. He has brakes, so I don't need anything harsh, but he just doesn't seem to get a long with all the different snaffles I have in my toolkit. Would a horse like this go better in a non-jointed bit?

Aristeia
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:15 PM
My horse is parrot mouthed and I've found the only bits he likes are ones that aren't jointed. He's happiest in a mullen mouth happy mouth or a myler snaffle.

Gry2Yng
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have a parrot-mouthed horse and he goes in anything I put on him. Waterford is his favorite for jumping, also goes in a three ring gag or a KK snaffle or a slow twist full check or an english gag. He is probably moderate on the scale of pm, have a good dentist that helps.

VA_Hunter_Aside
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:22 AM
What about one of those rubber bit ports? You put them on whatever bit you want to use and it keeps them from getting their tongue over it. I've never used one but would try it if my horse had that problem. Or a bitless bridle. There's the Dr. Cook's and the Rambo Micklem? Dover has both.