PDA

View Full Version : Wildfire in Los Angeles

Mardi
Aug. 30, 2009, 06:17 PM
This huge fire has made its way down toward the Flintridge Riding Club. While I'm sure the club is ok, does anyone know if horses were taken to LA Equestrian Center ?

Also is the Gold Coast Series h/j show at LAEC still going ? There's alot of smoke and ash in the air, not to mention the record heat.

Thanks.

Bearhunter
Aug. 30, 2009, 07:20 PM
The LAEC and Hansen Dam were full as of yesterday. Where individuals at Flintridge sent their horses, I don't know. I keep mine at Middle Ranch and we evacuated and ours are currently in Hidden Valley at El Campion.

Yes, Gold Coast still went on. Crazy to ride in this imo.

sptraining
Aug. 30, 2009, 08:07 PM
Hey.

CBS 2 News (http://cbs2.com/firewatch) has a lot of good information on the fires, but not much about the animals.

We're in Shadow Hills (about 3 miles from Hansen Dam) and have taken a lot of evacuees. We've got multiple horses in turnouts and the arena and all the stalls filled. I'm not sure where they were all coming from, I think a few were from Big Tujunga Canyon. I don't know where the La Canada horses went...

Yes, the show did go on. I opted not to go since I'm not chasing points or participating in the medal finals and this heat is gross. We've been just walking the horses to get them out but not doing any stenuous exercise. All our tack is getting pretty clean and oiled though!

If I hear any more info, I'll post it.

Peggy
Aug. 30, 2009, 08:48 PM
Heard on the news this AM that LAEC was full and horses were getting evacuated to Pierce.

Our barn was supposed to take contingents to GC and to a county show at the Oaks but bailed on the former b/c of the smoke. Oaks was hot, but not as hot as the barn and probably had better air quality.

Blue Star
Aug. 30, 2009, 10:05 PM
Horses from various areas have been evacuated to the LAEC...the show was still on at last count. On Friday, the smoke was not too bad there at all, but the heat was rough....though pretty typical for the August shows. It would be hard to cancel medal finals unless absolutely necessary.

AndNirina
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:13 PM
Yes, Gold Coast still went... we just got back from it. It was so darn HOT. Actually the air at LAEC was clear yesterday but definitely smokier today. A really yucky weekend to be showing all around (but we had a good show, so I was happy!)

As we were loading up tonight there were people bringing in evac horses to the show stalls. I hope everyone stays safe. That is one nasty fire.

Mardi
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like ALOT of horses have been displaced.

Little Indian
Aug. 31, 2009, 01:29 AM
Now that the horse show is over, is it would be safe to assume that LAEC is open to more evacuees? The fire is scary large, I was able to see flames across the mountains at the 101 North tonight at Parkway Calabasas. Here is a picture of the smoke from yesterday
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32067315&l=1911c7c1f6&id=201301603
and then this morning heading out of Bell Canyon
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=32069102&l=c4a101af0c&id=201301603

Mardi
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:09 AM
Yes, Gold Coast still went on. Crazy to ride in this imo.

Ditto.

Plumcreek
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:24 AM
I was in Santa Barbara last weekend and went to look at the hills and canyons where I used to ride - all ashes, so sad. Is there an area still unburned in So Cal?

Ambrey
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:38 AM
I believe someone said the horses at Flintridge were evacuated to Santa Anita.

Mardi
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:19 PM
Jingles for all who need help. There was a photo online (Drudge Report) of a loose Arab on a road with flames nearby....not good.

No halter....

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:15 PM
There's also a thread on this in Off Course.