PDA

View Full Version : Pinto hunter?????

lyndaelyzoo
Aug. 30, 2009, 01:39 PM
I am interested in this horse as an adult amateur hunter with potential for jumpers or equitation and would like any opinions. He is seven years old and Oldenburg/Thoroughbred (grandson of Hall of Fame). I really like him, but would like to hear others opinions. Thank you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQts5PIbMHs

findeight
Aug. 30, 2009, 03:28 PM
Looks like more of an Eventer and he is presented as one here. nice horse but...as an Adult Hunter?

Just think he might be a little much for an Adult Hunter, certainly likes to have his way the last couple of steps in front of these jumps and he is under a snug hold. Looks like he prefers to roll on a bit and he does take this good rider on a few times. No idea where OP falls ability wise but this one will take a rider...and does not look like he will school out of that wanting to go on.

Nice horse, nice quality, nice jump...not sure he is suitable for an Adult Hunter, looks like a bit too much horse. One that probably will be happier out galloping then putzing around a ring.

spmoonie
Aug. 30, 2009, 03:39 PM
I think with a lot of work, he could be turned into a hunter. However, I am going to agree with findeight and say that he looks as if he would be much happier out galloping than being a show hunter.

Cloverbarley
Aug. 30, 2009, 03:43 PM
I'm not really into multicoloured horses although I do own a few and they are all like him, minimal white with big white stockings. Somehow that is acceptable to me :winkgrin:. Anyway, yes I do like him too. Can't see him being a hunter any time soon, but as an eventer, for sure!

tidy rabbit
Aug. 30, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm going to disagree with my fellow posters.

He appears to be quite a nice fellow until the jockey guns him at the fence 3 strides out, every time. ICK. I think if he had a nice soft rider who allowed him to maintain a nice open stride up to the jump and over it he might be quite fancy.

Would be really interesting to see someone else pilot him around, someone who doesn't do "butt circles" all the way around the ring... that must be very distracting to the horse.

Got anyone who is a quieter rider who can go out and put some time on him? Might be worth talking someone into it and getting some video of the quieter ride and see what he's like then.

RodeoGirl
Aug. 30, 2009, 05:29 PM
I might agree with Tidy, except that I knew a similarly bred horse (Hall of Fame) that moved and jumped JUST like this one. He was purchased as a yearling to be an A/O hunter, but ended up as an eventer. His rider was a very quiet hunter rider with lots of experience, but the horse just didn't fit the mold.

WorthTheWait95
Aug. 30, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'm going to disagree with my fellow posters.

He appears to be quite a nice fellow until the jockey guns him at the fence 3 strides out, every time. ICK. I think if he had a nice soft rider who allowed him to maintain a nice open stride up to the jump and over it he might be quite fancy.

Would be really interesting to see someone else pilot him around, someone who doesn't do "butt circles" all the way around the ring... that must be very distracting to the horse.

Got anyone who is a quieter rider who can go out and put some time on him? Might be worth talking someone into it and getting some video of the quieter ride and see what he's like then.

I really like him and agree with the above. The rider in the video is capable but I bet he would settle nicely if piloted by someone a little quieter. But then I'm partial to the spotted ones ;).

Brooklyn Born
Aug. 30, 2009, 06:50 PM
I never heard of that term:)

P.S. I like the horse--seems pretty steady and rhythmic before and after the jumps. Seems like he's got a great brain and good potential.

wanderlust
Aug. 30, 2009, 07:09 PM
Completely agree with Tidy Rabbit. The rider pushes him at the fence 2-3 strides out, leans at him, and hangs onto his face. I also bet with some reschooling and gymnastic work, he'd be pretty fancy. He looks really soft and quiet between the fences.

Nicely marked, too.

slainte!
Aug. 30, 2009, 07:25 PM
Great hunter prospect!
I love his canter and don't find him to be "galloping" between the jumps. The rider looks capable and brave, but of the eventing persuasion, where they really ride AT the jumps... unlike us hunter folk who whistle a tune on our way to the long approach!

You never know before you drive the car if you like how it handles! Give him a whirl.

Tex Mex
Aug. 30, 2009, 07:52 PM
He is way too "hot" and short-strided to be a hunter. I think he's cute and looks athletic but if the hunters/eq is your goal, I'd keep looking.