PDA

View Full Version : Top Junior EQ Trainer in or near New York

NYCatty
Aug. 30, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here.

I would like to the know who are the big-name trainers here in NY or surrounding states that turn out the top winning junior equitation riders at the national level?

Our family just relocated to NYC from the southeast, where our daughter was training with a big-name trainer there. However, we left on not-so-great terms. Therefore, I am hoping that you all will be able to direct us.

I've heard that the Maddens are THE top junior eq trainers. However, are Frank and Stacia divorced now? Do they both still train the same students, or did their students have to decide who to continue training with? If that's the case, who did they decide to continue with? Stacia or Frank?

Thank you everyone in advance for replying.

Heineken
Aug. 30, 2009, 10:43 AM
Either of the Madden's or Andre Dignelli (sp?).

KayBee
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:11 AM
John Madden is on LI now, and Stacia is, I believe, still in NJ.

S A McKee
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:15 AM
John Madden is on LI now, and Stacia is, I believe, still in NJ.

Don't you mean Frank Madden is on LI, not John Madden.

spmoonie
Aug. 30, 2009, 11:40 AM
Either of the Madden's or Andre Dignelli (sp?).

:yes:

Beau Cheval
Aug. 30, 2009, 01:48 PM
Frank Madden's farm Hunter's moon is about 1 hour out of NYC. It looks lovely, I've driven by many times.
Andre Dignelli is in Katonah
Stacia madden is still in Colt's neck NJ
I also would recommend Liza Rex and her business partner Holliday. They are in Old Westbury NY, so same town as Frank Madden.

pinkpolowraps
Aug. 30, 2009, 01:50 PM
Anyone know anything about the Old Westbury Equestrian Center? I think that's the name of it?

NYCatty
Aug. 30, 2009, 03:39 PM
Thank you everyone for replying.
It does appear that Frank, Stacia, and Andre are the, perhaps, "top three."
I mapped each of their cities, and all three are within an hours drive.

Choosing who to train with would involve touring each of their facilities, and giving my daughter the opportunity to meet their riders, etc.

However, who has the, perhaps "most," top ranked riders?

adhock
Aug. 30, 2009, 03:46 PM
I have no idea why your daughter isn't weighing in on this--it's for her and she'll have her own short list. Obviously, your best bet (having missed watching all in action at the Hampton Classic during the past week) is to go the the Maclay Regionals at Old Salem. If you've already relocated and have left on bad terms with your past trainer, where is your horse (if not already stabled close by)? Why did you wait to until you "relocated" to do this homework? And, remember, if you left on bad terms with a BNT (as you indicated), you'd better come with a fat wallet because you might need to overcome some badmouthing--it's a very tight group and they definitely discuss client histories.

NYCatty
Aug. 30, 2009, 04:03 PM
I have no idea why your daughter isn't weighing in on this--it's for her and she'll have her own short list. Obviously, your best bet (having missed watching all in action at the Hampton Classic during the past week) is to go the the Maclay Regionals at Old Salem. If you've already relocated and have left on bad terms with your past trainer, where is your horse (if not already stabled close by)? Why did you wait to until you "relocated" to do this homework? And, remember, if you left on bad terms with a BNT (as you indicated), you'd better come with a fat wallet because you might need to overcome some badmouthing--it's a very tight group and they definitely discuss client histories.

This is my daughter's dream/career, and she is involved. I have no idea why you would make that comment. We were leasing my daughter's horse, and the lease ended this past week. We did not wait until after our move. My daughter is the one who narrowed down the list to the Maddens, but she was unsure to go with Stacia or Frank.

We left on bad terms with the trainer due to the fact that we caught the trainer in several lies, charging unnecessary fees, etc among others. It was because of the trainers actions that we left on bad terms. Additionally, since my husband and I are both attorneys, I am sure there will be no "badmouthing."

--
This post was geared toward info regarding the top trainer. Additionally, I specifically asked in regard to Stacia and Frank. Therefore, I hope other posters will reply with the appropriate information.

WorthTheWait95
Aug. 30, 2009, 04:06 PM
Additionally, since my husband and I are both attorneys, I am sure there will be no "badmouthing."

Unfortunately in the world of big time horse showing that is no guarantee. :no: If I had the choice of those three I would go with Stacia or Andre as I, personally, prefer their teaching styles/program over Frank's.

By George!
Aug. 30, 2009, 04:13 PM
Thanks, adhock. You asked all the questions I had.

findeight
Aug. 30, 2009, 04:13 PM
Well, it would help if we knew something about your daughters ability levels, what you are thinking about doing horse wise (lease or purchase) and where you live/how far you'd drive.

Budget concerns as well. Some may have a more fluid lease situation or access to sale horses for lessons and saddle time then others who would require a full time lease or purchase only.

Not enough information for specific recommendations. All named are quite good.

Two points, some are mixing John and Frank up. And I would not be too open about why you left your previous trainer, it is, after all, none of our business anyway.

By George!
Aug. 30, 2009, 04:22 PM
Also, since the three NY-area trainers are on the road most of the year anyway (all three in Wellington for the winter, in the Northeast for the summer, and then Cap Challenge thru Syracuse in the fall), you may as well include Missy Clark on your list. If your daughter wants to do the big eq seriously, Missy should be in your consideration set.

MHM
Aug. 30, 2009, 04:54 PM
Have you seen the DVD/TV series Road to the Maclay?

It includes lots of coverage of several of the names mentioned here. Obviously you would not make a dcision based solely on that, but you can get a little idea of some of the personalities. Plus it's very entertaining!

Another consideration is whether your daughter would be happier in a barn with many, many other kids, or in a less crowded situation. That might narrow things down a bit.

I agree that Maclay Regionals would give you an excellent opportunity to observe the best in action, not just in the show ring, but in the early morning lessons and in the schooling area.

Good luck and welcome to the BB! :)

gg4918
Aug. 30, 2009, 05:13 PM
I think that rather than thinking about who has the most "top ranked" juniors, you should consider who's teaching style compliments her learning style and will allow her to flourish under their tuition the most.

Trainers that are successful at that level have some better years and some more normal years so dont look at who has the most top riders because this is always subject to change. I chose my trainer because, even though Beacon Hill was in the area and even though I was financially in a situation to go there, I wanted the smaller, more personalized training situation.
Good Luck.
As an aside, I highly recommend Stacia. Love the girls that ride with her and everybody has fun AND is extremely successful. Great atmosphere to be around.

Seen That
Aug. 30, 2009, 05:41 PM
Additionally, since my husband and I are both attorneys, I am sure there will be no "badmouthing."

:D:D:D:D:D

Oh, that's great!!!

Back on topic, you might also wish to consider what are the expectations regarding how many horses you bring to the barn - certain of the top barns are not so friendly to kids who do not bring several horses and the training fees that will be charged accordingly.

NYCatty
Aug. 30, 2009, 06:03 PM
Again, thank you everyone for replying and the few of you who PMed me. I greatly appreciate.

We've leased horses for the past several years, as my daughter never quite felt much confidence in the horses that her trainers showed us, so we wound up leasing in order to continue with lessons and showing.

We have the financial means to buy more than one horse. The reason we haven't is because we're told that we are only allowed to purchase horses that the trainer finds, *rolls eyes,* and my daughter simply didn't like the horses enough to want to actually purchase.

My daughter has ridden ever since she could walk, and has shown on the local "A" circuit since she was 5 years old. She is currently 16 years old (birthday in December...yay!). Her dream is the go to all the big eq finals, and of course that dream includes a big win. She currently shows in the junior hunter and eq medal classes. She also wants to start doing the jumpers, for more ring time and experience.

Additionally, she wants a trainer that truly believes in her abilities, and will dedicate as much effort as she does, not play favorites (if this is even possible), and actually claps when their student places 1st in a class. At the past trainers barn, she would ride 3-4 horses everyday. She wants a trainer where she can spend her entire day at the barn, learning and socializing with the other riders.

As a side note, my daughter knows several of the girls that ride with Stacia. But, she has seen Andre and Frank training at shows. We were just trying to find out additional information about them before we made any phone calls.

If anyone has any additional information, we'd greatly appreciate it.

DancingQueen
Aug. 30, 2009, 06:46 PM
I would call the trainers on your short-list and ask if you can set up a meeting and later perhaps a trial lesson/assesment of your daughter.
Tell them what you have told us about your situation and your hopes and expectations from them as trainers. Ask them what they think is a realistic goal for your daughter, what their expactations are on her and you, what you can do to help your daughter reach her goals and what they will be able to contribute with.

Open communication is IMO by far the best method when it comes to finding a good trainer. If you want something that they can't provide it is better to know that before you make a commitment. There might be some things that they won't be able to do, but you will know up front and you'll be able to make an educated decision.

Good Luck!

Jumper221
Aug. 30, 2009, 06:51 PM
Heritage and Beacon Hill are for sure the two "Hot" programs in that area right now, but there's lots of other successful programs so make sure to look around and find somewhere that's a good fit for your daughter (I'd personally be afraid of being lost in the crowd at a program as big as Andre's but his success speaks for itself).

Some other names that come to mind for the eq. are Val Renihan (Findlay's Ridge), Molly Flaherty (Arcadia Farm) both in Westchester County, and Burr Associates just across the border in CT has Tim Kees, Leslie Howard, Chris Cawley & Molly Ashe all working together.

heartinrye
Aug. 30, 2009, 07:01 PM
Additionally, she wants a trainer that truly believes in her abilities, and will dedicate as much effort as she does, not play favorites (if this is even possible), and actually claps when their student places 1st in a class. At the past trainers barn, she would ride 3-4 horses everyday. She wants a trainer where she can spend her entire day at the barn, learning and socializing with the other riders.

As a side note, my daughter knows several of the girls that ride with Stacia. But, she has seen Andre and Frank training at shows. We were just trying to find out additional information about them before we made any phone calls.

Be sure that when you meet the trainers you meet and like ALL of the trainers, for example at Andre's, Patricia does the ponies, Kristen does the hunters, Andre does the eq etc etc, so if your daughter will be doing more than eq make sure you like everyone :)

Lucassb
Aug. 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
Obviously a lot depends on your daughter's preference and personal learning style. Andre Dignelli in Katonah is certainly a top, top trainer but he is somewhat dictatorial and *very* direct; Frank Madden (on LI) is at a similar level but has a radically different, possibly more "encouraging" approach. Haven't ridden with Stacia, (still in NJ) so can't tell you much about her style other than it appears to be quite successful.

If you are willing to drive up to the North Salem area, there are lots of choices. Val Renihan has already been mentioned and is terrific, as is Kip Rosenthal, who as a bonus has a background in sports psychology that her riders seem to really value. Drive a little further, up to my neighborhood in Newtown, CT, and you have Burr Associates (Leslie Howard, Timmy Keys, Chris Cawley & Molly Ashe.)

neigh.neigh
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:47 AM
All the ones mentioned are great but how about JT Farm in South Salem. Jimmy Toon and his students have been very successful

rosalie54
Aug. 31, 2009, 02:35 AM
If you want additional information about Frank, Stacia and Andre, could you be more specific about what information you are looking for?

SpartanVirtue
Aug. 31, 2009, 10:48 AM
Sent you a pm.

MIKES MCS
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:02 PM
Again, thank you everyone for replying and the few of you who PMed me. I greatly appreciate.

We've leased horses for the past several years, as my daughter never quite felt much confidence in the horses that her trainers showed us, so we wound up leasing in order to continue with lessons and showing.

We have the financial means to buy more than one horse. The reason we haven't is because we're told that we are only allowed to purchase horses that the trainer finds, *rolls eyes,* and my daughter simply didn't like the horses enough to want to actually purchase.

My daughter has ridden ever since she could walk, and has shown on the local "A" circuit since she was 5 years old. She is currently 16 years old (birthday in December...yay!). Her dream is the go to all the big eq finals, and of course that dream includes a big win. She currently shows in the junior hunter and eq medal classes. She also wants to start doing the jumpers, for more ring time and experience.

Honestly from this post it's sounds as if you are looking for a lot of personal attention from THEE trainer, You are not going to get that at a large barn. What you will get is a very structured program riding the horses you lease during your scheduled lessons and schooling . If you are looking for your daughter to get a lot of barn experience and ride several horses and receive a lot of training experience from THEE trainer you might want to consider a working student experience along with the EQ horse lease with an emphasis on qualifying for the Big Eq finals . While this may give her a riding edge it will not give her a social edge as she won't have time for that. BUT it may give her more of what she is hoping to get out of her final junior years. MOST BNT would welcome free help from talented young riders as long as those riders and their parents can hack it. Often children from environments such as you describe haven't been acclimated to the more realistic aspects of being an all around horseman and the reality can be quite a shock and is often not at all what the student and parents had in mind.

KayBee
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:07 PM
Don't you mean Frank Madden is on LI, not John Madden.

Yeah. John Madden would be football, wouldn't it... lol

joiedevie99
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:39 PM

John Madden is Beezie's husband. They aren't all that far away, but definitely not within an hour of Manhattan.

katie16
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:40 PM

That's a different John Madden.

The "horsey" John Madden is:

a) brother of Frank Madden
b) husband of Bezzie Madden
c) founder of the Syracuse show
d) horse trainer/seller
e) the list goes on . . .

juniormom
Aug. 31, 2009, 01:39 PM
Our daughter was a working student and really worked. Several kids did "come and go", as it is not easy. She worked about 16 - 18 hours per day. She did everything from cleaning stalls, bathing horses, meeting vets and farriers, feeding, turn out, horse laundry,supplements, tack cleaning, baths, hand walking horses, raking aisles, blowing aisles, feeding dogs, watering plants, keeping clients happy, packing and unpacking for the road, having horses at numerous rings and ready for the clients on time, taking horses and/or tack back to the barn from the rings, away many weeks at a time, etc. She did all of this while "homeschooling" herself. She learned a ton, but it wasn't easy. Some "working student" positions do more showing. She showed her horse and a few others, but was mostly too busy.

Now she has a lot of good contacts, has been fortunate enough to train with many different trainers and learned a lot of good "old-fashioned horsemanship." It is a wonderful learning experience if you are really willing to work. I am sure you don't have to "work" so much at some farms, but this was always her situation. She learned a lot from various trainers and is now able to "put all of the information together" which will be a huge asset in the long run, as each trainer had their own strengths and she was able to learn from many different angles and about different things. She did not have much time to "socialize" like so many kids do at the shows. When she did finish early, all she wanted to do was to go to bed. (except then she generally had schoolwork to do.) I am not trying to paint a "difficult" picture, but a realistic one.

The flip side is that when she went to college she didn't know what to do with herself even when she decided to take 18 or 21 hours. She always called and said she had "so much free time." Time to go jogging, see a movie, or visit with friends, etc. She was ahead of most college kids in that she had already learned how to study on her own, budget her time and money, be away from home, etc. She didn't care what dorm she lived in, nor who her roommate was, as she always moved around and shared living spaces with others.

If your daughter truly wants to do this as a profession, I highly recommend being a "working student" in order to understand what it is like day to day. You don't make money boarding. You make money from your lessons and sale horses. You have to be pleasant to everyone and learn to deal with all types of people.

Good luck in your decision! :)

BLBGP
Aug. 31, 2009, 04:31 PM
Has your daughter qualified for finals? If so, are you in a hurry to find her a lease and get a trainer in time for indoors?

What training style fits her best? If you have time, you should try to go to a few of the top shows and watch everyone train. That could help you find a good match.

MrWinston
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:01 PM
But I detect some "attitude" in your posts. Rolling your eyes about BNTs wanting to select the horse they train their student on is totally unrealistic. ALL BNTs want to select the horse and expect the client to go with their suggestion. It's not uncommon for a client who changes trainers to have the new trainer want them to change horses as well. Why would you think that either you or your 16 year old daughter would know better? I think there is some unrealistic expectation in thinking that a BNT is going to have lots of time for a student who doesn't own a horse yet and a parent who is skeptical about their choices of an approppriate mount. All of the trainers you are considering have established students with numerous horses already. I'm sorry if this sounds blunt but I have been around all of these people at shows for years and don't see this fitting into their program.

MrWinston
Aug. 31, 2009, 06:38 PM
Coming on as a family of lawyers who would state on the WWW that the previous BNT was dishonest and wouldn't dare bad mouth you is a really BAD idea. He/she WILL as soon as they know who you are training with and you will not be able to prove it in court. That sounds like intimidation and horsemen as a rule don't take kindly to it. I would start thinking in terms of whether any of these BNTs would welcome you as opposed to whether you would give them the priveledge of training your daughter. Do they even have room in the barn or time? It's not about favoritism, it's about who writes out the check and doesn't nickel and dime them. I don't think that any of the trainers you mentioned wants to entertain another young girl all day long. Remember, she is the new kid on the block after all.

Parrotnutz
Aug. 31, 2009, 07:00 PM
Coming on as a family of lawyers who would state on the WWW that the previous BNT was dishonest and wouldn't dare bad mouth you is a really BAD idea. He/she WILL as soon as they know who you are training with and you will not be able to prove it in court. That sounds like intimidation and horsemen as a rule don't take kindly to it. I would start thinking in terms of whether any of these BNTs would welcome you as opposed to whether you would give them the priveledge of training your daughter. Do they even have room in the barn or time? It's not about favoritism, it's about who writes out the check and doesn't nickel and dime them. I don't think that any of the trainers you mentioned wants to entertain another young girl all day long. Remember, she is the new kid on the block after all.

Well, I am too old for Big Eq and too broke for a BNT.....so I CAN say...what is wrong with the poster saying she caught a BNT in lies....?? I mean really THAT never happens, right? Just as we all know whoever next takes the money will talk about her behind her back and will hear all about it from the ex trainer. So What! I detect an attitude from you also. It is the OP's money so let the chips fall where they may.....

Please pass the popcorn..... :winkgrin:

Cathbad
Aug. 31, 2009, 07:42 PM
I find myself agreeing with Mr. Winston's posts. I thought it was ah... a strong statement by the OP to point out that he/she is an attorney when someone else said that people in the industry might talk about the OP's past barn situation. It was a heavy-handed implication of what route the OP 'just might take' should there be 'any talk' about the past barn situation, it sounded to me (which is what, ParrotNutz, I think Mr. W was responding to, and not about the alleged (sp?) bill padding). It's kind of like saying, "Well, I own a gun..." in response to someone coming near your property line. Why such a strong statement? The OP said in print that their past trainer cheated them... I mean, isn't that sort of crossing a line? Guess the OP isn't into wills and estates and is more like a litigator. :sadsmile: Hope the trainers being discussed here know that...

NYCatty, could you have found another trainer instead of sticking with a one who never came up with a horse the daughter could be comfortable with, who allegedly cheated you, etc. It seems like finding another trainer would have been a good idea?

What people have posted here, NYCatty, is all good advice. Doing the big eq and then making the push to be a contender in the Finals is a 1,000% commitment by the rider and her family. And the trainer wants that win just as much as the family does. The trainers mentioned here really, really know how to train for the Finals and they know the Byzantine politics of the equitation ring. That's what they're being paid for! It's their barn, their program. Are ya ready?!?

MrWinston
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:10 PM
Well, I am too old for Big Eq and too broke for a BNT.....so I CAN say...what is wrong with the poster saying she caught a BNT in lies....?? I mean really THAT never happens, right? Just as we all know whoever next takes the money will talk about her behind her back and will hear all about it from the ex trainer. So What! I detect an attitude from you also. It is the OP's money so let the chips fall where they may.....

Please pass the popcorn..... :winkgrin:

I have no way of knowing if the BNT lied or padded the bills. I don't think it's a good idea to say so on the WWW if you are hoping to get into a good next barn with another BNT. Maybe you really need to understand how the game is played and IF you want to play with those people or can actually afford to. I think that you take it up with the trainer and resolve it and NOT advertise it on the WWW. Considering that the OP hasn't so much as bought a horse yet for her daughter.................................

I would suggest that she find a trainer who isn't the "top producer" of equitation riders that actually suits herself and her daughter. There are many very good instructors in that area.

Just as an aside, I have known Andre for at least 38 years. I first met him when he and his brother asked for clipping jobs when I managed a CC stable in Westchester. Our first project was an unclippable horse that ended up even after sedation as a patchwork quilt. They are very nice guys. Andre worked so hard as a student of Judy Richter and rode borrowed horses. People like him and Leslie don't suffer fools well.

Did you miss that part where the OP expects that her daughter will be entertained at the barn all day and ride numerous horses? That she wouldn't experience "favoritism" even though she is new and doesn't even own a horse? That she and her mother haven't taken advise and purchased a suitable mount for her? Like it or not, it won't fly or get them what they want. It is what it is.

pixie
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:13 PM
I agree with others here that the OP isn't ready for A BNT. She is coming accross as having too much opinion. When working with one of those Trainers the only sound they want to hear from you is a pen on your check!

MrWinston
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:26 PM
I agree with others here that the OP isn't ready for A BNT. She is coming accross as having too much opinion. When working with one of those Trainers the only sound they want to hear from you is a pen on your check!

You can't have it both ways. I personally don't like the politics or the economics of it............BUT those barns are full of students and owners that do. When you live in NYC and want to conveniently travel an hour and get training at a VERY expensive facility and a very sought after trainer, you have to pay the freight.

MrWinston
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:41 PM
Leslie had great success in the big EQ when you would actually have an inexpensive horse and a limited budget and HUGE talent. If I recall correctly, her Eq horse was a paint. Not the traditional horse at the time. Times have changed and the competition has also. I watched Lesle ride 18 horses a day, jumpers and hunters for schooling at Fairfield on a hot summer day. She looked at me (I was waiting between divisions and educating myself by watching her ride) and said, " Thank God the last one." All of these people have stepped up to the plate and done the job. This was when she was riding Chase The Clouds. Don't go to these people with arrogance.

MintHillFarm
Aug. 31, 2009, 09:05 PM
Just as an aside, I have known Andre for at least 38 years. I first met him when he and his brother asked for clipping jobs when I managed a CC stable in Westchester. Our first project was an unclippable horse that ended up even after sedation as a patchwork quilt. They are very nice guys. Andre worked so hard as a student of Judy Richter and rode borrowed horses.

Mr. Winston, I knew Andre back then as well and clipped a horse or 2 for him in those lean years!

As for the topic at hand, all of these BNTs have well to do clients with multiple horses and talented kids. Any one of these trainers would be teriffic to ride with. I agree with others who have suggested to go to the shows and observe their styles as well as their riders and horses.

These trainers will choose the right horse for your daughter. I suggest that once you pick the trainer, that you allow him or her to make the choice on the horse for her as well as the program that the two of them should be in. Let the expert steer the way...

Parrotnutz
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:27 PM
I have no way of knowing if the BNT lied or padded the bills. I don't think it's a good idea to say so on the WWW if you are hoping to get into a good next barn with another BNT. Maybe you really need to understand how the game is played and IF you want to play with those people or can actually afford to. I think that you take it up with the trainer and resolve it and NOT advertise it on the WWW. Considering that the OP hasn't so much as bought a horse yet for her daughter.................................

I would suggest that she find a trainer who isn't the "top producer" of equitation riders that actually suits herself and her daughter. There are many very good instructors in that area.

Just as an aside, I have known Andre for at least 38 years. I first met him when he and his brother asked for clipping jobs when I managed a CC stable in Westchester. Our first project was an unclippable horse that ended up even after sedation as a patchwork quilt. They are very nice guys. Andre worked so hard as a student of Judy Richter and rode borrowed horses. People like him and Leslie don't suffer fools well.

Did you miss that part where the OP expects that her daughter will be entertained at the barn all day and ride numerous horses? That she wouldn't experience "favoritism" even though she is new and doesn't even own a horse? That she and her mother haven't taken advise and purchased a suitable mount for her? Like it or not, it won't fly or get them what they want. It is what it is.

I like you Mr Winston!
I see nothing wrong with what the OP said After someone asked why they left on bad terms. Again no one was mentioned and any badmouthing,name dropping will be done on either side, in private. We all know "stuff" happens in the horse world.
The OP came here asking for the best in the area. I say give them the names and let them get an education by themselves. One only learns from experience. They will find out what will and won't fly as far as haing one's say at a BNT barn. :)

Wanderluster
Sep. 1, 2009, 12:10 PM
I believe that the trainers at this level typically interview new clients not vice versa . Miss Kitty may be in for a bit of a surprise. :eek:

JinxyFish313
Sep. 1, 2009, 12:48 PM
Do you want to spend your entire winter in FL? If not, you'll want someone other than the Tri-State Top 3.

findeight
Sep. 1, 2009, 01:31 PM
ummm...I wonder if the OP realizes the names she asked about really ARE BNTs, unlike 90% of the time that BNT tag is thrown out there by posters.

I do suggest that DD be set up with a trial lesson and evaluation with more then one barn BEFORE making any kind of decision.

IME a smaller barn would work better for what you state you want your daughter to do...sorry but she will be not only the new kid on the block but, like, number 50 on a list to get extra rides on the very expensive horses belonging to others in these BNT barns. Lots of more experienced, better known and extremely accomplished riders that also ride extras. Big ultra successful show barns like this usually don't have the kids hanging around all day, they have paid help for that stuff. And they are not home anyway but on the road.

Find a lesser known or MNT with a smaller barn that is not at the shows 45 weeks a year.

One other thing...about the trainer wanting to select the horse? And you say your daughter, with just 3 years remaining, wants to go Big Eq and to all the Finals? And you want to select the horse?

That's like taking a Golf lesson from Tiger Woods and advising him on club selection. You go in an established BNT barn like these that are known for making BIG winners time after time with the goal of making DD a winner in a short span of time and have the money? They will do the horse selecting...and probably want prior approval of anything you buy or lease before you bring it into their barn under their banner. because they have the reputation, have created the results and have earned the right.

Smaller barn, not so much. So, if you want more control? Go that route. Not expect a hugely successful BNT barn to change the way it has been doing business for years to accomodate you. find a barn that fits what YOU want in the fist place, none will change for you after you get in there. They are what they are on day 1 and will stay that way.