PDA

View Full Version : Methinks it's a scam

Schune
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:08 AM
So I have an ad on Tacktrader.com for a show trunk [edit] and yesterday I get an email saying I have a response.

I read it, and immediately my eyebrows go up:

"TackTrader.com Classifieds Ad Response
Item ID: [edit]
Item Desc: [edit]

Name: William Duckett
Email: williamduckett67@gmail.com
Phone:

This is Mr William Duckett i saw your advert online and will like to purchase it and i will like to know if it still for sale but before buying it, i will also like to know if it's present condition and lastly i will like to know your last asking price for it.Email me as soon as you get this email so we can go further about payment and pickup."

Now, the problem is I logged into Tacktrader, and according to it, there are no responses listed. I did not include my email in the ad, so people have to go through Tacktrader in order to get an email to me, and that response would be logged.

I'm thinking scam or someone just pulling my chain. Anyone think so too?

Vitriolic
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:10 AM
Scam. Only scammers use that grammar: will like to purchase it and i will like to know if it still for sale but before buying it, i will also like to know if it's present condition and lastly i will like to know your last asking price for it. I mean have you ever heard a "real person" talk like that?

Seven-up
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:26 AM
Tell them its present condition is still a little sloppy from the dead body that was in it for so long. But if they want it right away, you'd be happy to ship it to them with the body still in there and they can clean it out themselves. It'll cost more to ship that extra weight. :winkgrin:

Mara
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:48 AM
Tell them its present condition is still a little sloppy from the dead body that was in it for so long. But if they want it right away, you'd be happy to ship it to them with the body still in there and they can clean it out themselves. It'll cost more to ship that extra weight. :winkgrin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Or you'll do the cleaning yourself, for an extra fee.

Limerick
Aug. 30, 2009, 10:57 PM
Sounds like a Nigerian scam but can't you play along and have some fun?? And report the responses back to us. :D

Someone did that a few years ago here and it was hilarious. :yes:

Bayberry64
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:31 PM
There is a major scammer on Tacktrader dealing with horse trailers. A 2006 and 2009 Featherlite 2 horse trailer for $2800.00. I asked for pictures and they sent them to me. The trailers looked great and I was definetily interested. I called the phone numbers and the numbers were disconnected. I emailed and got a response back that the owner was leaving for Iraq in 3 weeks so the deal had to be done quickly. The seller would pay all shipping charges to get the trailer from Florida to PA. The shipping company was out of England. You call the shipping company and get a busy signal always. I arrange shipping over the internet and you pay by Western Union. The payment is held in escrow until you approve of the shipment. Well according to a friend of mine who sells used cars on EBAY, once you pay by Western Union you will NEVER get your money back. Needless to say, I have not sent any money. Please anyone who has been scammed by these people please let me know.

Valeureux
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:35 PM

HAHAHAHA. Priceless :lol:
And it's totally a scam.

grandprixjump
Aug. 31, 2009, 12:40 PM
The money is considered a GIFT and Western Union is NOT going to help you get it back, they don't care.... They probably love the scammers, giving them so much business.... I'm not a big fan of western union anyway, they charge someone like $30 to send $100 50 miles away, but will send $500 to Mexico for $9. That's BS with a capital BS...

Two Black Cats
Aug. 31, 2009, 05:52 PM
For some artistic GENIUS when it comes to horse/tack/riding scams...check out this COTH thread:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=112247

If you could get the original poster to write your response, I'd love to see how it goes...

gottagrey
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:43 PM
it most likely is a scam because normally people interested in a product don't talk like that.. I book riding holidays and you wouldn't believe the ridiculous emails I get...

Schune
Sep. 1, 2009, 10:37 AM
Gosh, I was just going to delete the email and ignore it, but should I reply for fun? :lol:

luise
Sep. 1, 2009, 12:45 PM
I've gotten many scam emails about a saddle and other tack items I have for sale. I usually email them back and call them on it. If they still keep writing back, I ask them for a picture of their horse. Then I usually never hear back. I'm hoping someday someone will play along and send a fake pic or something.
This is the last response I got by email: (note I only have a saddle for sale, not a horse)

"I want to let you know that I will be handling the Pick up of the saddle via my private Shipper who will be moving both the horse & the saddle from your place to my place together with the Horse I bought already as I currently live in Sharon Springs, NY...

I will like to let you know that I need the saddle as a matter of urgency and I will be addressing payment through Certified cashier's check, Money Order or probably Bank Transfer depending on your choice. So I would like to have your full contact information such as your Full Name, Home Address and Your Contact Number so as to send the payment out to you via Express Courier Service which will get to you in 2 days Or otherwise your Bank Information so the transfer can be made.

Note :- You should have nothing to worry about. I wont be coming until payment is fully cleared by the Bank."

Seven-up
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:35 PM
I've gotten many scam emails about a saddle and other tack items I have for sale. I usually email them back and call them on it. If they still keep writing back, I ask them for a picture of their horse. Then I usually never hear back. I'm hoping someday someone will play along and send a fake pic or something.
This is the last response I got by email: (note I only have a saddle for sale, not a horse)

"I want to let you know that I will be handling the Pick up of the saddle via my private Shipper who will be moving both the horse & the saddle from your place to my place together with the Horse I bought already as I currently live in Sharon Springs, NY...

I will like to let you know that I need the saddle as a matter of urgency and I will be addressing payment through Certified cashier's check, Money Order or probably Bank Transfer depending on your choice. So I would like to have your full contact information such as your Full Name, Home Address and Your Contact Number so as to send the payment out to you via Express Courier Service which will get to you in 2 days Or otherwise your Bank Information so the transfer can be made.

Note :- You should have nothing to worry about. I wont be coming until payment is fully cleared by the Bank."

Man, that crosses the border from scam right on over to creepy.