PDA

View Full Version : Breeding hunters for futurities

Kim Houlding
Aug. 30, 2009, 02:06 AM
For many years, the hunter business revolved around buying
(often ex-race) horses and teaching to jump. We have progressed into an era of breeding for purpose-selecting horses with talent and ability for hunter/jumper competition. Other breeds have helped exhibitors defray costs be developing futurities. It is very difficult to pay stud fees, mare care, board and training for several years and maybe not even get an athlete that is competitive....
I paid money into a futurity that was going to hold show dates in October for National Finals, as well as regional finals. I spent a lot of money to nominate my foal. I recieved a certificate saying I was eligible to show in the futurity. This june, a friend called and tld me sheh had recieved a letter saying the national final was cancelled, and our only opportunity to utilize our entry money would be advanced frojm October to July. Quite a leao for a young horse in training!!
My calls were not returneed in a timely manner, I NEVER recieved official notification of the date cancellation, nor an entry form for the remaining shows, even though other people I knew DID recieve these things.
I would like to see a hunter futurity sponsored and maintained by a non-profit organization, with open books and credible accounting. I am looking for others to join with me in creating an honest and ethical hunter futurity organization to promore our breeding programs. Kim Houlding 515-795-2261 1968 Rose Rd. Madrid, IA 50156

S A McKee
Aug. 30, 2009, 08:28 AM
For many years, the hunter business revolved around buying
(often ex-race) horses and teaching to jump. We have progressed into an era of breeding for purpose-selecting horses with talent and ability for hunter/jumper competition. Other breeds have helped exhibitors defray costs be developing futurities. It is very difficult to pay stud fees, mare care, board and training for several years and maybe not even get an athlete that is competitive....
I paid money into a futurity that was going to hold show dates in October for National Finals, as well as regional finals. I spent a lot of money to nominate my foal. I recieved a certificate saying I was eligible to show in the futurity. This june, a friend called and tld me sheh had recieved a letter saying the national final was cancelled, and our only opportunity to utilize our entry money would be advanced frojm October to July. Quite a leao for a young horse in training!!
My calls were not returneed in a timely manner, I NEVER recieved official notification of the date cancellation, nor an entry form for the remaining shows, even though other people I knew DID recieve these things.
I would like to see a hunter futurity sponsored and maintained by a non-profit organization, with open books and credible accounting. I am looking for others to join with me in creating an honest and ethical hunter futurity organization to promore our breeding programs. Kim Houlding 515-795-2261 1968 Rose Rd. Madrid, IA 50156

What Futurity are you talking about?

lauriep
Aug. 30, 2009, 10:49 AM
The IHF.

S A McKee
Aug. 30, 2009, 03:54 PM
The IHF.
If that is what the OP is talking about the Op is a little off in her facts.

The announcement that the finals would be cancelled was made in April. It's been on the website for a long,long time.

In 2008 the National Finals were held the end of September not October.

The Eastern Regional is held the end of August and the Western regional is the first week in September. Not in July.

The Mid West regional is the end of July. However, it was not held in 2008 and was only added this year because the finals were cancelled.

The OP may not have had a reasonable expectation that there would even be a Mid West Finals.

Showsheen
Aug. 30, 2009, 05:06 PM
Why were the finals cancelled? Due to lack of interest? Entries? Sponsorship?
Any info, is appreciated.

lauriep
Aug. 30, 2009, 09:36 PM
She may have had her facts wrong, but it is currently the only national hunter futurity, and the finals were cancelled, the information was ONLY put on the website, and the $$ added to the regionals. Many people were extremely upset over this development. It remains to be seen if it will revive next year. In my experience, it can be hard to renew interest in something if there is a break in continuity.

Apparently, finances were poor due to the 2 largest stallion donations ending (death of Alla Czar, retirement of All the Gold) and some of the payment plans were not completed. This is how it was explained to me.

S A McKee
Aug. 31, 2009, 08:49 AM
She may have had her facts wrong, but it is currently the only national hunter futurity, and the finals were cancelled, the information was ONLY put on the website, and the $$ added to the regionals. Many people were extremely upset over this development. It remains to be seen if it will revive next year. In my experience, it can be hard to renew interest in something if there is a break in continuity.

Apparently, finances were poor due to the 2 largest stallion donations ending (death of Alla Czar, retirement of All the Gold) and some of the payment plans were not completed. This is how it was explained to me.

Perhaps that was what was explained to you but I can only guess who told you that as it doesn't agree with what's on the website.
I get it that you are upset that the finals was cancelled. But many people think it was a prudent decision given the economy and the fact that winter show entries were way down. The decision allowed the program to continue during a difficult situation.

"April 22, 2009

Dear International Hunter Futurity Participant;

Due to the recent economic downturn, the Board of Directors of The International Hunter Futurity has made some difficult decisions regarding the 2009 competitions. In order to help us through these tough times and to ensure the survival of the program, the 2009 International Competition will not be held.

This year we will be emphasizing the regional competitions. The Challenge Series, the Two Year Old Under Saddle Class, The Three and Four Year Old Performance divisions and a Five Year Old Hunter Classic will be held at all three regional competitions including the Mid-West Regional which will be held at the Greater Oklahoma Horse Show on July 21st. The prize money at the Regionals will be increased to approximately $15,000 per region.

This was a decision that was not easily reached. We trust you will understand and continue to support the International Hunter Futurity through this temporary situation.

Sincerely,

The Board Of Directors
The International Hunter Futurity"

au_panda
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:09 AM
I doubt that there are very many breeders that breed for the hunter futurities, it's more something to do with the youngsters until they are old enough to start a career, at least that's my perspective of the futurity.

I also received the letter (actually, several copies, one for each nominated horse including the one I've sold because the new owner has not changed the owner info with the IHF).

The IHF has been the only hunter futurity up until now. But at the west coast regional we were told that the USHJA is also starting up a hunter development program of some sort. Stallions have to be nominated, so do foals (hum, sounds kind of familiar doesn't it, perhaps copied from the IHF?). This new program has 3 year olds do a hunter hack class, not a full course, 4 year olds get to optionally trot changes, 5 year olds full course with changes. So, more money to be paid to the USEF/USHJA, happy thought. :no: Existing shows will offer these classes throughout the show season (um, have they talked to the show managers? I had to beg to get the HB classes added and most No. Cal managers told me they don't have time to have the HB classes so it seems to be unlikely that they are going to add this program?) I have yet to have any USEF show pay decent prize money to me (I do not compete in the grand prix or the Hunter Derby) and I'm very tired of getting the $10 picture frame for a class that cost $500 to get a yearling to. As to non-profit and open books, the USEF gets audited every year and you can get financial statements that won't tell you much about where the money goes.

The IHF has been the only program to have decent prize money and prizes. So, now the very expensive USEF/USHJA is apparently gearing up to compete with the IHF. The potential is that it will split participation and both programs will suffer.

..."looking for others to join with me in creating an honest and ethical hunter futurity organization to promore our breeding programs", (I think you mean promote) - you are talking about the horse business aren't you? Are you also dreaming that you would hire non-political judges? :eek:
Where would your classes be held given the full show schedules and managers that won't add more classes? I will continue to support the IHF, perhaps we could focus on improving the existing program.

VirginiaBred
Aug. 31, 2009, 11:37 AM
I doube any one breeds just for Futurities. It's performance we breed for and the opportunity a futurity presents (as other in hand classes) is more experience for the youngster.

lauriep
Aug. 31, 2009, 03:58 PM
The person who told me is a board member. I was also told that they are looking at a venue in Louisville for next year, as the WEG will be at KHP when the National would usually be going on.

I don't know of anyone who breeds solely for any futurity. Having an eligible baby just gives you additional goals to reach for, and if done carefully, can be very useful and rewarding.